Incoming calls with data-only plan

SOLVED
bravodanny
I'm a Participant Level 1

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I am an exchange student in Canada who just have become your customer last month by purchasing the data plan $15 with 3GB. However, when I received my bill today I am shocked and disappointed. It’s 84.17 dollars which is unbelievable for me. I checked my bill and it said the extra charge was from the addition usage of incoming call. I was so surprised as your stuff told me that the incoming call is FREE OF CHARGE. But I will be charged when I call someone instead of receiving a call. However, 3 incoming calls was charged which cost 60.15. I am extremely disappointed about this as your stuff TOLD me that I can receive call. It’s a TRAP.

The reason why I choose your company is because the plan is cheap and affordable as I am just a student. Now, I don’t know how should I explain to my parents about this terrible thing. I hope you can help me to come up with some solution about this. Can you help to exclude the charge of that three incoming calls?

Here is my information

Mobile: *********

I looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Danny

Accepted Solution

Re: Incoming calls with data-only plan

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Bravodanny,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry you received such a surprise. It's unfortunate that you were given inaccurate information. You will be charged for any calls you make or receive since the plan does not include any call minutes or SMS/MMS. The rates are $1 per minute for your calls and Long Distance (LD) calling at 45¢ per minute within Canada (see here).

Any calls you receive will be considered local if you are within your incoming local calling area (LCA) -- regardless of where the calls originated (internationally or domestically).

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number. It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call, and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you're standing.

However, receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD -- regardless of where the calls originated.

**edit** Additionally, you will not incur any extra charges when you receive text messages. However, sending SMS costs 25¢ per message sent from Canada to a Canadian wireless number or 45¢ per message sent from Canada to a US or international wireless carrier (see here).

Sending MMS to a Canadian wireless customer costs 50¢, while to a US or International wireless customer cost 75¢ (see here). Again, you will not incur any extra charges when receiving MMS while in Canada. Note however, roaming data charges would apply when outside of Canada**

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

View solution in context
17 REPLIES 17
horalph1
I'm a Participant Level 3

If I have the callforward add on and a data plan, will i be charged $1/min for my forwarded calls?

Hey @horalph1

You'll find the answer to your question on this thread. Click here to go to the solution. 

horalph1

Hi Rachel,

I am asking about call forwarding.

which phone is charged for the air time?

If you set up call-forwarding on a data-only plan you would be charged both airtime ($1 per minute) + the call-forwarding rate of 20 cents per minute.

Hope this helps @horalph1!

horalph1

Nick,

So does that mean If i forward a call to a cell phone, I am charged for the airtime twice?

For the phone doing the forwarding, and the phone receiving the forwarded call?

so total price per call forward is airtime of forwarding phone + call forward pay per use + receiving phone airtime?

Thanks.

We're actually looking into it to try and get more info for you @horalph1.

I'll be in touch once I have an update Smiley

Verma
I'm a Participant Level 2

The same happened with me.. and your staff did not tell me that incoming calls would not be free.

This is very disappointing. I was paying less before, even with unlimited calling.

Also, if on 'my account' daily usage can be tracked then it would not have come as a shocker.

You should stop doing that, seriously.

Hey @Verma

Welcome to the community Smiley

The data only plan is meant to be used in a tablet so it doesn't come with calls nor text messages and these services are on a pay per use basis.  When a service comes with your plan, we write it in the plan description.  If something is not in the description, it means that it is not part of the plan.  

If you need a plan with unlimited calling, you can take a look at our plans here.

Verma
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thanks for the response FidoJulien..

In my home country, things do not work like that; incoming is usually free with any sort of plan hence I could not anticipate that and was not making any outbound calls further, thinking that only those will be charged; but the bill shocked me. Also, I never new its name is 'Data only plan', it was never mentioned even in the mail.

Now I think apart from me few more people have same doubt which we have no idea about in the first place; hence can I request you to pass this information if someone inquires generally with customer service/ include the details about this plan on the website/ write this in one of the document you send with the mail informing about plan change details.

Thanks.

Hey @Verma

Sorry to learn that there was confusion about the details of our data only plan.

If you need assistance concerning what's included in your service, we will need access to your account,

You can find all the ways to contact us through our channels here.

If you prefer, we can send you a PM here on the Community as well to talk about your account.

Let us know what's best for you Smiley

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Bravodanny,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry you received such a surprise. It's unfortunate that you were given inaccurate information. You will be charged for any calls you make or receive since the plan does not include any call minutes or SMS/MMS. The rates are $1 per minute for your calls and Long Distance (LD) calling at 45¢ per minute within Canada (see here).

Any calls you receive will be considered local if you are within your incoming local calling area (LCA) -- regardless of where the calls originated (internationally or domestically).

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number. It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call, and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you're standing.

However, receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD -- regardless of where the calls originated.

**edit** Additionally, you will not incur any extra charges when you receive text messages. However, sending SMS costs 25¢ per message sent from Canada to a Canadian wireless number or 45¢ per message sent from Canada to a US or international wireless carrier (see here).

Sending MMS to a Canadian wireless customer costs 50¢, while to a US or International wireless customer cost 75¢ (see here). Again, you will not incur any extra charges when receiving MMS while in Canada. Note however, roaming data charges would apply when outside of Canada**

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

Hello! Welcome to the community!

Ah the good old days of school and learning about life in general. I hope the forum members can help resolve your issue.

but in case in the end you are stuck with the extra cost and have to explain to your parents. Let this be a life lesson to you: Always read the contract details before you sign! Sales will always be sales, they don't look out for your best interests, only theirs. I'm not saying Fido reps are bad, but all companies will have a few bad reps.

Hope you keep this lesson at heart in the future when you buy that next car, house, investment, business. the $60 will acturally be a very cheap lesson in learning to read the fine print in EVERYTHING.

Wufai wrote:... Sales will always be sales, they don't look out for your best interests, only theirs. I'm not saying Fido reps are bad, but all companies will have a few bad reps...

Hello,

It could also have been an honest mistake. Incoming texts are free of charge. The sales reps could have had the false impression that anything incoming was free...

For our side of the equation, it just highlights the potential consquences of providing inaccurate information.

Cheers

sheesha

i have same data only 15$ with 3gb plan. I never gave the number to any one but somehow received incoming calls that i never picked and that went into voicemail. But all those minutes were charged. I called fido many times informing that I never used that sim card for making calls and I have no control over incoming calls.

Data sim card should not be able to receive or make calls or text messages. My first bill with fido has 30$ extra charges, and next bill has 150$ extra charges only because of incoming calls that I never received and that automatically went into voicemail.

There is no solution with Fido representative. They told me I should stop people calling that number. I told them I never gave that number to anyone , I cannot stop unknown persons calling that number plus I already have two seperate lines with Fido with voice and text package so it makes no sense to make or receive calls on  only data sim package but of no avail. 

When Fido gives only data sim package they never tell you that it has an active voice number and you have no control of stopping unknown people calling that number and piling over minutes at rate of 1$ per minute. 

Hey @sheesha

Welcome to the Community. 

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with this service. It's definitely odd, especially considering you shouldn't have a voicemail on a data only line. I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look into this together. Smiley 

frankysplace

I love my data only plan with Fido. I get 2GB of data for 15 dollars instead of 3GB. Still very happy with the 2GB plan for $15.75 with the tax.  I use voice over ip to make calls and texts & recieve calls and texts. I personally use the Sugar Mobile app since I have access to their phone and messaging app free for life. Why?? Because the CRTC forced Sugar mobile off the Rogers network. For those of us living out side of Sugar Mobile's coverage zone they gave us free access to their voip app free for life so I naturally moved my mobile number to Sugar. For other's not so lucky to have access to the Sugar Mobile app for free. There are many free apps offering free calls and texts like Text Now.

To avoid a high bills with Fido. I called Fido and got them to shut off calls in and out over my fido number. I also got them to shut off U.S. roaming. They did leave on incomming text messages and since incomming text messages are free why not keep that on.   

FidoChristina
Former Moderator

Hey Danny!

Welcome to the community Smiley

When you have a data-only service, you're charged for all outgoing and incoming  calls and for all outgoing text messages.

I'll send you a private message so we could look into this together Smiley