Inactive SIM?

Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Inactive SIM?

Hi,

My phone (Sony Ericsson Cedar) has been OK all day, then when I went to go home, it read "Inactive SIM" on the screen.

It functions normally otherwise, but cannot receive or make calls. *225 and 611 are a no-go as well.

I bought the thing less than 30 days ago (Sept. 2nd) and there's $35 in my Fido account on a $19/mo. paygo plan.

This is my only phone, I have no landline to call Fido service. I have to drive 20 minutes to a payphone or Fido store (who know nothing paygo - they always say "Call 611") Sad 

** edit**

The SIM saved phone numbers are OK, so the card is alive...

Can someone help? 

Accepted Solution

Re: Inactive SIM?

And if that doesn't work, go to a Fido kiosk and have them give you a new SIM to try. I guess call Fido before that and ask to verify that the SIM is active. Not sure how it could have been deactivated, but that would give you exactly the behavior you are seeing, where you can't connect to the network but can read data from the SIM.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Had you recently removed your SIM? Could be that it is scratched or dirty and some contacts/circuits aren't completing. Trying removing it and cleaning it with a soft dry cloth and blowing any dirt away from the contacts in the phone.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2
Solution

And if that doesn't work, go to a Fido kiosk and have them give you a new SIM to try. I guess call Fido before that and ask to verify that the SIM is active. Not sure how it could have been deactivated, but that would give you exactly the behavior you are seeing, where you can't connect to the network but can read data from the SIM.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

For these types of issues, you should consider going to the store, atleast you can use the landline and call 1-888-481-3436 and have them check your account to make sure the sim has been properly programmed.  Worst case senario you may need a new sim card just like 10yearfido said and what better place to get it when your right at the fido store already, lol.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Hi,

No, I have not even removed the back cover on my phone since I purchased it.

It was fine an hour before the issue happened.

** edit **

I turned the phone on and now it's fine????

Last night was the first time I turned it off in weeks.... could the card have overheated? 

Thanks all! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Append:

I think Fido's being flakey.... texts are taking "three times lucky" to send, even with full bars/3G Surprised

Cheers! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi Geek,

How is your SIM and service now, any change? 

Another possibility is that the phone might have been bumped a bit too hard and displaced the SIM out of contact with the SIM reader. As 10yearfido and Paolo suggested, and I do advise trying as well, try removing the back cover, the battery and then the SIM and re-insert-it.

Let us know.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

Hi,

Just got back online from moving.

No issues and I banged and dropped the phone in the move and all.

Maybe it was just that network glitch? *confused*

Thanks for your help and if it happenes again, I will apply all suggestions.

Cheers!
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 8