Idea: Smartphone contracts without a data addon?

I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Idea: Smartphone contracts without a data addon?

It is very evident in the Fido community , that many customers would like a smartphone, such as the iPhone, without a data plan. They are willing to sign a 3-year contract but not for a data addon, just a monthly talk and text plan. I suggest offering less subsized pricing for those who want this option. For example, $99 for the iPhone on a 3-year contract with a data addon, and say $299 for a 3-year contract without having a data plan. The latter will probably be higher because the contract would be less profitable, but it is a relevant subject that many Fido customers are requesting these days. Or even offering subsized pricing with the $10 flex data plan. How about it?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 6
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Re: Idea: Smartphone contracts without a data addon?

the concept is good, but you can;t just come up with a price and expect that price to be the one they market it . there is a whole lot of research involved in marketing so what they could do is 3 years with voice/data terms, but 5 year contract with voice only term,  that is more realistic..  the longer voice term would make up for the data subsidy lost

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

I could see it happen with some phones, but it is highly unlikely for the iPhone. The iPhone, from a business standpoint, is the worst phone to sell. To give you an idea. Let's take the new iPhone 4S 32GB model. The no term price is going to be 749$ as you already know. Alot of people find this price steep. However, do you know how much Fido has to pay Apple per device? 740$. They only make a 9$ profit per iPhone they sell, so to be able to give a rebate, they need to be assured a certain amount of money to be able to make a profit. I'm not saying that the idea is bad, it's just not very probable.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 6
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Interesting WickyLeBlond, didn't know Fido's cost was $740. I was already aware that what I'm proposing was not as profitable as the current plan restrictions for the iPhone. But wow, what a discount for Fido from Apple! And no Paolo, I was just using $299 as an example, not what I really expect. That's why is said I also expected it to be even higher than that (sentence after). Personally, I do the math and buy my smartphones outright because just look at the 3-year standpoint you save tons. Or sign a 3-year agreement and cancel the data plan right away ($200).

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 6
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

I doesn't matter if the plans are more profitable or not, if customers don't buy it, Fido can't extract any profit. I think Fido should listen to the needs of this market segment and cater to them. Just a suggestion because it's a "hot topic" these days.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 6
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

You can already do this. They will charge an extra $200 without a data contract. You still get a subsidy, just not as much.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 6