I do not trust FIDO with my personal info anymore

SOLVED
chatterbox
I'm a Participant Level 3

I have three contracts (three phone numbers) with FIDO.

A few month ago I started getting spam text messages trying to convince me to click on a link if I'd like to earn $500 a week and such. Later on my daughter complained that she started getting the same messages (same exactly at the same time). I asked my wifey and sure enough she was getting the same messages at the same time as my daughter and myself. So, has Fido or its employee(s) sold our contact info to a third party? What else has Fido sold from my personal profile - a credit card number, my address and a SIN? Can I trust Fido that my personal info is safe? Should I escalate this issue to CCTS?

I would like to hear from FIDO what it's going to do to fix this issue.  

Accepted Solution

Re: I do not trust FIDO with my personal info anymore

Solved by Moderator

Hey @chatterbox,

I assure you that we take this very seriously! You can also rest assured that we have nothing to do with these kinds of messages, and don’t support them in any way.  Unfortunately, there isn’t anything we can do to stop these companies from contacting you because there are no laws stopping them from doing so. But we do everything we can to lower their chances of getting in touch with you.

We use sophisticated anti-spam software in our network to protect you from spammers. The software has advanced threat detection algorithms to constantly hunt for and identify suspicious activity. We also have a dedicated team who monitors and detect for mobile messaging threats and creates configurations to block current/new issues in real-time.

We try our best to stop these kinds of activities, however, as much as we try, we can't stop them all!

But most definitely we never sell or give out any of our customers' personal information, including phone numbers, because your privacy is very important to us! Smiley

They choose the numbers completely randomly.

Depending on the model of your device, you might be able to block the unwanted messages by blocking the sender's number. 

I also recommend reporting the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:

Their site provides a large amount of information on known scams. You can check it out for more details.

I hope this helps clarify Smiley

View solution in context
7 REPLIES 7
FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Hey chatterbox! 

We take the security of your information very seriously. I assure you we have not provided your information to any third party. All of your credit information is secure. 

You can check out more on that here

Hope that helps! 

chatterbox

Thank you Megan but it does not answer my question - if Fido did not sell my info then Fido employees did. How else you can explain that all three of us getting the same spam messages at the same time? What I should do so Fido would take it seriously? Last time I had issues with Fido providing me with incorrect contract info a claim was sent to CCTS and the issue was resolved.

Am I the only one in the nretwork receiving these messages?

@chatterbox wrote:

Am I the only one in the nretwork receiving these messages?

Hello Chatterbox,

No, you are not the only ones receiving those messages.

As FidoClaudia alluded to, your numbers were likely not targeted. However, I don't think the numbers are chosen completely randomly either. Most spammers use computers to dial or send texts to numbers sequentially in a set block of numbers ie xxx-xxx-0001, xxx-xxx-0002... xxx-xxx-9999, xxx-xxy-0001....

Some more sophisticated scammers know that certain number blocks will usually be a landline or mobile number -- even which mobile provider. That's how they seem to know what provider you have: Your mobile provider account has been compromised...  Number porting has blurred those blocks, though. Still, it's a numbers game for them. 

FidoClaudia also noted that Fido uses sophisticated anti-spam software in our network to protect us from spammers. Unfortunately, some still get through. That's why I started this thread. Hopefully, they'll be able to incorporate those examples to help improve the spam filter.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @chatterbox,

I assure you that we take this very seriously! You can also rest assured that we have nothing to do with these kinds of messages, and don’t support them in any way.  Unfortunately, there isn’t anything we can do to stop these companies from contacting you because there are no laws stopping them from doing so. But we do everything we can to lower their chances of getting in touch with you.

We use sophisticated anti-spam software in our network to protect you from spammers. The software has advanced threat detection algorithms to constantly hunt for and identify suspicious activity. We also have a dedicated team who monitors and detect for mobile messaging threats and creates configurations to block current/new issues in real-time.

We try our best to stop these kinds of activities, however, as much as we try, we can't stop them all!

But most definitely we never sell or give out any of our customers' personal information, including phone numbers, because your privacy is very important to us! Smiley

They choose the numbers completely randomly.

Depending on the model of your device, you might be able to block the unwanted messages by blocking the sender's number. 

I also recommend reporting the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:

Their site provides a large amount of information on known scams. You can check it out for more details.

I hope this helps clarify Smiley

JayDar

I suggest you add the following text to your Spam Filter:

"Urgent Message for CIBC account holder"

The CIBC is Canada's largest bank and they don't send out text messages to all their account holders. These text messages are spam from someone who is trying to get people to visit their web site so they can engage in "phishing" and acquire their personal info for nefarious reasons.

Please put a stop to it. I am becoming so fed up that I'm considering changing to a different company just to get a different number to try and stop it.

How hard can it be to write an app that enables people to enter a list of phone numbers from which they want to receive text messages and block all other text messages from different numbers?

I am so angry that I don't trust myself from writing any more.

Hey @JayDar,

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

We're definitely taking it into consideration and it'll be passed along to the concerned department Smiley

chatterbox

Thank you Claudia. Appreciate your response.