I cannot text from my iPhone when I am not near wifi. I can call , but no text.

SOLVED
JimArcher
I'm a Participant Level 3

I have and iPhone5. Works fine. Problem. I can call when I am away from wifi, and receive calls, but I cannot send text away from wifi. I am on a "Bring Your Own Phone Plan".

Accepted Solution

Re: I cannot text from my iPhone when I am not near wifi. I can call , but no text.

Solved by I'm a Participant Level 3 JimArcher

Problem solved. I was trying to text in blue and it would not go if away from wifi. My son-in-law showed me that all I have to do is press on the blue message and the message would come up "send as text message". Click on that and it changes to green and goes through. THank you for your help. Youe questions were very helpful. Great!

View solution in context
7 REPLIES 7
FidoPamela
Former Moderator

Hi @JimArcher

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

Have you noticed if the issue was only with iMessages (blue), text messages (green) or both? 

Also were you able to use the service in the past? 

Let me know! 

JimArcher

I just got this (a handmedown) a short while ago. It happened while I was texting my daughter to pick me up. The texts did not go. They were green. Have not tried blue on my phone. I use my laptop and iPad for that. Phone is so small that I prefer the larger screens. At home my daughter tried to troubleshoot. She checked the phone and tthen shut off the wifi in the house. Still did not work for texting. She could not figure out what was wrong, and she is an avid iPhone user and computer geek.

She suggested I check my account and see if I have texting away from wifi.

Thanks for getting back to us @JimArcher!

Is your iMessage turned on or off? Can you turn it off and test it out?

Also, is it just sending that doesn't work? Are you able to receive messages?

Let us know and we'll go from there! I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this Smiley

JimArcher

I will get back to you. I have to work on your suggestions with my daughter. Thanks.

Keep us posted @JimArcher !

JimArcher

Problem solved. I was trying to text in blue and it would not go if away from wifi. My son-in-law showed me that all I have to do is press on the blue message and the message would come up "send as text message". Click on that and it changes to green and goes through. THank you for your help. Youe questions were very helpful. Great!

Glad it's fixed! 

Thanks for sharing @JimArcher Smiley