Huge Disappointment in Fido

SOLVED
Diggie
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi Fido Customers:

Fido has decided to charge me for overdata usage that I didn't know was happening on my wife's iphone.  They didn't ever inform me that it was going over my limit for Data, just sent me the bill AFTER it had happened. 

But let's rewind here.  My wife has used her phone the same amount since she got it.  She plays games, goes on facebook, watches videos occasionally.  Her data usage is consistently around her limit of 500 MB.  In May, Fido claims she was over by 16 GB and June by 8 GB.  I called in and they had their data department do a "check" into her IMEI number.  They still claim it is her phone.  They had us take it in to Apple to check for a data leakage.  No data leakage.

I am disappointed that they never provided us any warning of over use, just a bill with a HUGE surprise on it. If my credit card company came across a strange purchase, they would contact me IMMEDIATELY.  Then they would investigate it THOROUGHLY.   They would consider our history and see that it wasn't right at make the appropriate correction.

I suspect that Fido is trying to charge me for someone else's usage.  They are trying to charge me for their mistake.

SO if you are with Fido, I suggest you leave, before they do the same to you.

Accepted Solution

Re: Huge Disappointment in Fido

Solved by I'm Qualified Level 3

You added some additional info here that I would like to comment, see your other post of future prevention of such incidents, you need to help yourself rather than depend on Fido, data overage can only be prevented by you!

You mentioned 'facebook'. Facebook recently added new function to include auto video download and playback to your main page. Meaning every single time your wife open the facebook app, 50MB/video is being downloaded to your phone at LTE speeds. Your wife will not notice the video download becuase LTE speed is very fast. and if your wife have many firneds and check facebook once a day. I can see it reaching 16GB per month.

I noticed this becuase I have 'My Data Manager' app installed on my iphone and I set it to notifly my on data changes when I reach my daily data allocation of 20MB and daily max allocation of 50MB. I got 2 notifications as soon as I opened facebook.

I hope I can get you to understand you need to be viliglant as well to prevent overage data charges. Wireless companies make it very easy for customers to go over data allocation by simply puting the responsibility to us without educating us how to prevent them. but at the end of the road we ARE the users and we SHOULD take preventive measures.  With the app I mentioned installed on your phone you will know EXACTLY WHEN the data charge occured and from which app.

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

You added some additional info here that I would like to comment, see your other post of future prevention of such incidents, you need to help yourself rather than depend on Fido, data overage can only be prevented by you!

You mentioned 'facebook'. Facebook recently added new function to include auto video download and playback to your main page. Meaning every single time your wife open the facebook app, 50MB/video is being downloaded to your phone at LTE speeds. Your wife will not notice the video download becuase LTE speed is very fast. and if your wife have many firneds and check facebook once a day. I can see it reaching 16GB per month.

I noticed this becuase I have 'My Data Manager' app installed on my iphone and I set it to notifly my on data changes when I reach my daily data allocation of 20MB and daily max allocation of 50MB. I got 2 notifications as soon as I opened facebook.

I hope I can get you to understand you need to be viliglant as well to prevent overage data charges. Wireless companies make it very easy for customers to go over data allocation by simply puting the responsibility to us without educating us how to prevent them. but at the end of the road we ARE the users and we SHOULD take preventive measures.  With the app I mentioned installed on your phone you will know EXACTLY WHEN the data charge occured and from which app.

nick67
I'm Qualified Level 3

I can see what Diggie is saying, but Wufai is correct. Fido sends the phone a text message when it has consumed 75% and 100% of the data plan. That is simply it. It is the responsibility of the account holder to monitor your account(s).

In regards to parallel you drew with the credit card company, VISA will only call you to confirm a purchase is it deemed "unusual" or fraud. That is, if your card is being used in a foreign country or online at a random e-commerce website. Do not confused this when them confirming simply a "large" purchase. I've purchased items on my VISA from $20 to $5000 at a time. VISA did not confirm the purchases because they believe the transaction is being conducted by the account holder. VISA will allow me to buy whatever I want, regardless of the amount, as long as they believe it is me purchasing it.

Fido believes your wife was legitimately using the data transmission so they did not want to "cut her off".

Diggie
I'm a Participant Level 3

Fido never sent us any text when we were at 75% or 100% of our data used.  The only text message that they sent was one that said (after the fact) "Fido msg: Are your data needs changing?  We noticed that your data usage increased last month.  Call us to find out more about our latest options"

Also, you will notice in my parallel to my credit card that they would contact me if it was a "strange" purchase.  The phone was using an average of 400 MB / month, and then suddenly it went to 17.21 Gb in one month.  Wouldn't  that be considered unusual?

nmcmanus
I'm a Participant Level 1

Is your wife playing games and checking Facebook, e-mails, etc on her phone in a place where free WiFi is available? If so then she should check to see that her setting on her phone to enable WiFi  is on so that it doesn't use up her data limits. 

I'm new to Fido, but this is the first thing I noticed and realized when I went over my data usage a week into the new billing cycle. I maintained my regular habits and then realized that I was using data and not connected to WiFi during that week. Made me think twice about how I was using the data on my phone. 

Hi Diggie!

It might be that you do not have the $50 Domestic Data Overage Cap and SMS notification on your account. This was introduced after December 2, 2013. Send me a private message with your info and I will look into it!