Huawei MT2-L01 for Fido data?

ac23
I'm a Participant Level 1

I have a Huawei phone from China. The model is Huawei MT2-L01. I have done all the APN settings but it still doesn't get on FIDO's data network. I can receive text message though. 

Anyone knows what else I can do?

Thank you!

AC

3 REPLIES 3
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Ac23,

Welcome to the community!

I understand you can receive text messages. Are you able to make or receive calls as well?

If your phone model is indeed the MT2-L01, unfortunately, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get data at all with that phone. The specifications provided above are for a different version of the phone, MT2-L03, and may or may not correspond to your version. Here are the specifications for some of the different versions of the Ascend Mate 2 from the Huawei website:

Model MT2-L00: GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz); UMTS (B1/B2/B5/B8); TDD LTE (B41(2535~2575MHz));

Model MT2-L02: GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz); TD-SCDMA (B34/B39); TDD LTE (B38/B39/B40/B41(2575~2635Mhz));

Model MT2-L03: GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz); UMTS (B1/B2/B4/B5); LTE (B2/B4/B5/B17)

Strangely, they do not include specifications for your particular model version. I did, however, find some (partial??) specifications on this website here. I haven't linked a translated version of the website, but the listed specifications are evident. If correct, you shouldn't be able to use the phone at all in North America as it has none of the compatible bands/frequencies. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

If you are able to use your phone to make/receive calls and/or send/receive texts, I suspect the GSM frequencies are actually the same as the other three versions. With regards to whether you'll be able to access the '3G' or LTE networks, it depends on whether the specifications are closer to L02 or L00/L03.

As listed in that website posted above (similar to L02), you will not be able to access the '3G' or LTE networks. North America does not use time division (TD) networks (I have previously explained TD vs FD or frequency division so feel free to peruse some earlier posts for more information).

However, other bands/frequencies could have been omitted (as they potentially were with GSM). If the specifications are similar to L00, you should be able to access the '3G' networks, but LTE will not work.

On the other hand, if the specifications are similar to L03, you should be able to access both the '3G' and LTE networks depending on the bands/frequencies of your surrounding towers. The L03 has two of the compatible bands/frequencies, bands 4 (1700/2100MHz) and 17 (700MHz). You can get an idea of the cellular towers' bands/frequencies here

You might consider trying the android codes to determine what bands/frequencies your phone version actually has access to. You might be able to use the code posted here

I'm sorry I can't provide a more definitive answer for you, but I hope it helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@ac23 Do you the option on your phone to block data roaming disabled? If so uncheck that and reboot your phone and see if it works. According to the specs for your phone taken from here you only have one compatible LTE band.

2G bandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - MT2-L03
4G bandsLTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 17(700) - MT2-L03

You should get at least 3g connection if the phone is unable to connect to a LTE network, try my first suggestion and see if it works if not set the phone network to 3g only and try to force it on the 3g network and see if you get the data working.

Hi there @ac23

Kapable-K gave great advice up there!

When you bring over an Unlocked phone to Fido, you want to make sure it's configured to our network.

To find out how, I'd invite you to check out our page "How to configure an Unlocked Device" 

Scroll down & click on "How to configure an Android Device", to find the exact steps for your phone Smiley 

Hope this helped!