How to turn off Fido roaming while away?

SOLVED
shawnnm
I'm a Participant Level 3

This is for a moderator! I am currently away in Mexico and lastnight needed to make an emergency call so activated Fido roam on my phone! I have since turned on airplane mode and reconnected to wifi - will I still get charged 12$ a day for the next 15 days? I will not require use of the roaming anymore! What can I do to make sure I am not charged for a service I don’t need any longer during this trip?

please let me know what I can do! It’s hadd to research with limitations on a iPhone! 

Regards,

shawn

Accepted Solution

Re: How to turn off Fido roaming while away?

Solved by Moderator

Hey there @shawnnm

You can find all the details about our Fido Roam feature here Smiley

To answer your question, since you've only used it once, you will be only charge $12 once. The 24 hour period will begin from the moment your usage/call began. In other words, any other communication or usage done in that 24 period will fall under the $12 fee for that one day.

As Fido Roam only bills you when a usage is done, you can safely keep your phone on airplane mode. You won't be billed $12 for all 15 days. Going onward, you can restrict your usage as such or you can also contact us to disable Fido Roam.

Keep in mind that disabling the feature will provide you no coverage while roaming. You will be subject to the pay per use (PPU) rates effective at your destination. Also keep in mind that the main difference is that Fido Roam bills you based on the amount of days used, while PPU based on the total amount of usage done.

Hope this help, and let us know if you have any questions.

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
patrickchan
I'm Experienced Level 1

if you can get your iphone unlocked (or if is unlocked groovy)

then get an mexico sim and #

. then facebook your new mex # on your wall, then all your friends/family can reach you via mex #.

then use google talk via wifi (or mex # data plan) to check your fido vm.

stay safe in mexico

FidoSaad

Hey there @shawnnm

You can find all the details about our Fido Roam feature here Smiley

To answer your question, since you've only used it once, you will be only charge $12 once. The 24 hour period will begin from the moment your usage/call began. In other words, any other communication or usage done in that 24 period will fall under the $12 fee for that one day.

As Fido Roam only bills you when a usage is done, you can safely keep your phone on airplane mode. You won't be billed $12 for all 15 days. Going onward, you can restrict your usage as such or you can also contact us to disable Fido Roam.

Keep in mind that disabling the feature will provide you no coverage while roaming. You will be subject to the pay per use (PPU) rates effective at your destination. Also keep in mind that the main difference is that Fido Roam bills you based on the amount of days used, while PPU based on the total amount of usage done.

Hope this help, and let us know if you have any questions.