How to tether a Blackberry 8220?

SOLVED
I'm a Participant Level 2

I occasionally use my BB to connect to the internet - my OS is Ubuntu and it automatically recognized my previous phone (LG Xenon) as an internet connection option, it does not recognize the BB except to transfer data. Is there a setting on the BB (like the LG Zenon) I need to use to enable this? Thanks.

Blackberry OS, Tethering, Data

Accepted Solution

Re: How to tether a Blackberry 8220?

Solved by Former Moderator FidoJonathan

Shillolo,

"Is this something I can download?"

• You can visit http://www.blackberry.com and find out if they have an application for Ubuntu which is a Linux based software. 
  • You can also call them at 1-877-255-2377

You will need 1GB data plan to teher no acception. We cannot fully support you if you don't have a data plan of 1GB.

I hope this helps,

View solution in context
10 REPLIES 10
Former Moderator

Hello Shillolo,

Welcome to the Fido technical community,

The first thing that you need is a blackberry data plan on your account for 1GB or more.

The second thing you need it to install desktop manager on the computer.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu operating system is not supported. I am not able to confirm this would work for you. You will absolutely need to do the 2 steps to tether the phone.

I hope this helps,

"The first thing that you need is a blackberry data plan on your account for 1GB or more."

Is this new? The "BB Data option 500MB" worked with the LG?

Even so the BB isn't even being recognized by the system.

"The second thing you need it to install desktop manager on the computer."

Is this something I can download?

The second thing you need it to install desktop manager on the computer.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu operating system is not supported. I am not able to confirm this would work for you. You will absolutely need to do the 2 steps to tether the phone.

I hope this helps,

I'm Qualified Level 1

who knows..but the current policy is that in order for the network to allow your device to tether...you will need BB 1 GB data option minimum....

download BB Dsktop Manager has the feature that will quickly setup your phone to communicate with your laptop in order for the tethered data to pass into your laptop

download url : http://ca.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

Actually, it is possible to tether a BB without the desktop manager. I've done it several times with my Mac thru bluetooth. Unfortunately, I did so with my Bell BB, so I don't know what the connection settings are for Fido, but normally customer service should be able to answer you.

For example, for Bell I have to enter the following:

APN: inet.bell.ca
Telephone number: *99#
Account name: character
Password: character

You could try

APN: internet.fido.ca

Telephone number: *99#

Username: fido

Password: fido

I'm an Expert Level 2

I just clicked the Connect button in Blackberry Desktop Manager and it works. One of my lines has 500 mb and ive been connecting it via tethering.

Paolo - what Blackberry Desktop Manager for Ubuntu/Linux do you recommend? Thanks.

I'm an Expert Level 2

have a read of some of these links:

http://ostatic.com/blog/make-your-blackberry-double-as-a-modem-with-barry

There is a wealth of information on the internet and links to programs and steps to tether your blackberry with Ubutu Linx, You may want to read about it from the pro's who actually got it to work rather than ask people on these forums who likely have never tried this before...

@Paolo,

Thanks you for pointing Shillolo in the right directions!

@Shillolo,

I hope this helps,

Shillolo,

"Is this something I can download?"

• You can visit http://www.blackberry.com and find out if they have an application for Ubuntu which is a Linux based software. 
  • You can also call them at 1-877-255-2377

You will need 1GB data plan to teher no acception. We cannot fully support you if you don't have a data plan of 1GB.

I hope this helps,