How monthly prepaid plan works (Fido just stopped my service)

SOLVED
Almf
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Simple question:

Below is the details of my current plan, if I were to start this plan right now (actually this is no longer available for new customers), is the $10.00 a fee to just have the account open? For actual minutes used, do I have to put extra money on top of the $10.00? Have anything changed recently regarding this plan?

Airtime Rate
By the Month - $10 monthly fee to gain access to a 10¢ per minute rate for anytime local minutes and to a 10¢ rate for text messages sent to Canada, US and international.

I'm having a problem with resolving an issue (topic - "Fido withdrawn money through Interac Online, but didn't refill my account - 2", trying to understand what's going on, email support was no help.

Also just found out that Fido has cancelled my service.

Accepted Solution

Re: How monthly prepaid plan works (Fido just stopped my service)

Solved by Fido Employee AdamBeast

If you keep using this plan, it should be changed. 

You are using a prepaid plan with 10$ monthly fee. which means to activate this plan, you need to pay 10$, and the remaining balance will be charged at 0.10$/min rate for the following month. 

B.E. You refilled 20$ on the 1st of April, then 10$ will be used to activate this plan,  I believe there should be also a 0.75$ 911 charge for prepaid account, then your remaining balance will be 20 - 10 - 0.75 = 9.25$. Now since the plan is activated, when you make a call, 0.10$/min rate will apply and deduct from the remaining balance 9.25$. 

Hope this clarifies your concerns. 

PS. This plan no longer exists, if you change to other plan, then you cannot change it back. 

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
Almf
I'm a Contributor Level 1

So the answer to my simple question is yes.

I'm supposed to understand how this plan works just by reading "By the Month - $10 monthly fee to gain access to a 10¢ per minute rate for anytime local minutes and to a 10¢ rate for text messages sent to Canada, US and international.", OK.

Some time ago my plan used to be straightforward adding money to balance, then used minutes got debited from the balance.

So $10.00 was credited to my balance and than taken out again. The support rep. did not explain this to me. Lumping together the $10.00 activation fee with the "balance" used for minutes is very confusing. It should be separate from the balance & clearly labeled Activation Fee, etc. Also, it would be clearer on the transaction history page, if + and - signs were used to indicate debit and credit.

My phone service is back on.

I am glad that your serice is back on, and sorry for the confusing.

BTW, in my reply "If you keep using this plan, it should be changed. 

I mean "If you keep using this plan, it should NOT be changed. "

I don't why the "not" is not there. 

FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Hey Almf,

I have sent you a private message so we can look into your refill issue.

When it comes to your $10 plan, it is a monthly fee that will be deducted from your prepaid balance every month. It gives you access to place calls at the rate of $0.10/minute and same rate for SMS. If you want to use the service, you need to keep a balance to use on top of the monthly $10.

Hope this clarifies!

When you say that we canceled your services, I will take a look as soon as you get back to me in private message.

If you keep using this plan, it should be changed. 

You are using a prepaid plan with 10$ monthly fee. which means to activate this plan, you need to pay 10$, and the remaining balance will be charged at 0.10$/min rate for the following month. 

B.E. You refilled 20$ on the 1st of April, then 10$ will be used to activate this plan,  I believe there should be also a 0.75$ 911 charge for prepaid account, then your remaining balance will be 20 - 10 - 0.75 = 9.25$. Now since the plan is activated, when you make a call, 0.10$/min rate will apply and deduct from the remaining balance 9.25$. 

Hope this clarifies your concerns. 

PS. This plan no longer exists, if you change to other plan, then you cannot change it back.