Taman
I'm a Participant Level 1

How do I activate Roaming?

Want to activate roaming

Accepted Solution

Re: How do I activate Roaming?

Solved by Moderator

Hey Community!

This post is a little older but still very relevant so I wanted to provide an update with all the up-to-date information Very_Happy

Roaming is enabled on all postpaid lines by default and all our monthly plans now benefit from FidoRoam! This means that no matter what plan you're on if you travel to a FidoRoam eligible destination and make any sort of billable usage then the FidoRoam daily fee will kick in. 

What do we mean by billable usage? 

Billable usage would be any type of usage that would incur a charge that includes:

- Calls made or answered

- Outgoing text messages*

- Any type of data usage

*incoming text messages are not billable and would not cause a FidoRoam daily fee to kick in

What is FidoRoam? 

FidoRoam is our roaming service that allows you to use your services outside of Canada the same way you would if you were in the country! We charge you a low daily fee in eligible destinations in order to use FidoRoam. The fee is $7 per day in the US and $15 per day in international destinations. The cool part is that we only bill 15 days per bill cycle, so if you're on an extended trip there's no need to worry! Very_Happy 

For more info on FidoRoam and the eligible destinations check out this link

What type of usage can I do with FidoRoam?

With FidoRoam, you can use your data and texts the same way you do at home! For calls, you can answer all calls, call back to Canada, or call locally wherever you're located Smiley

What if my destination isn't eligible for FidoRoam?

No need to worry! We offer competitive pay-per-use rates for non-eligible destinations Smiley You can check those out here

I hope all this info helps! We're always here to support you if you have questions! 

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
KAPABLE-K
MVP

Hello @Taman,

Welcome to the community!

To enable roaming you just need to enable in on your phone its usually in the settings and then network settings depending on the phone you have.

In terms of what you will be charged depends on if you have a plan that has the Fido Roam then you will pay $6 each day you are in the US and $10 a day for international roaming and you will only pay a maximum of 10 days then the rest is on Fido but that has to be in the same billing cycle.

If you do not know if you have Fido Roam just text ROAM to 222 to find out. If you do not have Fido Roam then you can purchase a travel pack, you can get more info on the Fido Roam here and travel pack info here.

Something to also note is you have to make sure your phone is compatible with the networks available at your travel destination.

Hey Community!

This post is a little older but still very relevant so I wanted to provide an update with all the up-to-date information Very_Happy

Roaming is enabled on all postpaid lines by default and all our monthly plans now benefit from FidoRoam! This means that no matter what plan you're on if you travel to a FidoRoam eligible destination and make any sort of billable usage then the FidoRoam daily fee will kick in. 

What do we mean by billable usage? 

Billable usage would be any type of usage that would incur a charge that includes:

- Calls made or answered

- Outgoing text messages*

- Any type of data usage

*incoming text messages are not billable and would not cause a FidoRoam daily fee to kick in

What is FidoRoam? 

FidoRoam is our roaming service that allows you to use your services outside of Canada the same way you would if you were in the country! We charge you a low daily fee in eligible destinations in order to use FidoRoam. The fee is $7 per day in the US and $15 per day in international destinations. The cool part is that we only bill 15 days per bill cycle, so if you're on an extended trip there's no need to worry! Very_Happy 

For more info on FidoRoam and the eligible destinations check out this link

What type of usage can I do with FidoRoam?

With FidoRoam, you can use your data and texts the same way you do at home! For calls, you can answer all calls, call back to Canada, or call locally wherever you're located Smiley

What if my destination isn't eligible for FidoRoam?

No need to worry! We offer competitive pay-per-use rates for non-eligible destinations Smiley You can check those out here

I hope all this info helps! We're always here to support you if you have questions! 

patrickchan
I'm Experienced Level 1

step 1. research if it is cheaper to use local sim (99% it is cheaper then canada),

step 2: get local sim,

step 3: remove fido sim, and replace with local sim

step 4: write on the wall aka facebook, and tell others ur new sim #

step 5: smile u saved $ to get more better local food, (99% better then Canadian local food, and cheaper)

@patrickchan wrote:...
step 2: get local sim,

step 3: remove fido sim, and replace with local sim

step 4: write on the wall aka facebook, and tell others ur new sim #

Hello,

Switching SIMs can be a good option for some people. In fact, I used to switch to local SIMs whenever I travelled. However, there are some things people should consider before going that route.

Firstly, if you switch to a local SIM, you will have a non-Canadian phone number. People will need to make long-distance (LD) international calls to reach your new travel number. It might save you some money, but it will likely cost them more to contact you.

Similarly, having a local SIM would likely mean that calls back to Canada are now international and considered LD.

There are ways to try to circumvent those issues (ie call fowarding, VOIP call fowarding...), but they can have their own problems...

I'm not saying whether people should or shouldn't switch to local SIMs when travelling. They just need to consider how they intend on using their phones abroad.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers