How could I use my FIDO DOLLARS towards an iPhone 5 purchase?

I'm a Participant Level 1 FortuneCookie
I'm a Participant Level 1

How could I use my FIDO DOLLARS towards an iPhone 5 purchase?

Hello,

Currently I'm under a 2 year fido contract which will end in February. I'm paying 40 dollars a month, with a 100mb data plan.

I have about $200 FIDO DOLLARS and I'd like to know how exactly I'll be able ot use them in the most advantageous way. 

Upon asking an agent a month ago, I was informed that I could buy an iPhone at it's full $649 + tax, minus the Fido Dollars I have. This sounds great, however, later I came back and asked another agent, he said that that I will need to include a data + voice plan costing at least $50 montly in order to be able to use my fido dollars. 

However, since I find both answers skeptical, I've forumated a different approach using the fido dollars. Please let me know if this is possible:

1. Purchase the iPhone 5 at it's subsidized price ($179 + tax) with a 3 year contract (voice + data)at $50 per month.

2. Cancel the agreement the day after and pay the $500 cancellation fee MINUS the $200 fido dollars I have (plus any other fees which will probably mount to around $20), so the cancellation fee comes to about $300

The toal I've paid from my own pocket will be around $179 + $300 + tax/etc.

Can I do this?

Accepted Solution

Re: How could I use my FIDO DOLLARS towards an iPhone 5 purchase?

Can't use Fido Dollars to pay your cancelation fees. Your choices are either to buy it at the subsidized price and use the FD to pay towards the $180, leaving you with some remaining FD. Or buy it at full price, applying all of your FD towards it. There is some confusion over whether you would still need to meet the voice and data plan and contract requirements in order to buy it at full price minus your FD. The official terms and conditions says you need to take a data contract but FidoStephen has told us here that you do not. Not sure how you can convince a rep this is the case when they will simply check their system which may still sat data contract is required.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2
Solution

Can't use Fido Dollars to pay your cancelation fees. Your choices are either to buy it at the subsidized price and use the FD to pay towards the $180, leaving you with some remaining FD. Or buy it at full price, applying all of your FD towards it. There is some confusion over whether you would still need to meet the voice and data plan and contract requirements in order to buy it at full price minus your FD. The official terms and conditions says you need to take a data contract but FidoStephen has told us here that you do not. Not sure how you can convince a rep this is the case when they will simply check their system which may still sat data contract is required.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
Former Moderator FidoSamantha
Former Moderator

Hi There!

FidoDOLLARS™ can be used towards an upgrade whether you purchase the device at full price or with an agreement. There are no plan/data requirements if you're purchasing the phone at full price. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3