How Fido treats the customers?

I'm a Participant Level 3 gta
I'm a Participant Level 3

How Fido treats the customers?

I have been with Fido for more than 4 years. Of course a lot of experiences with their Customer Services, unfortunately, mostly bad ones. My impression is they won't give up any chances if they can reach your pocket. 

Here we go... My contract expires on Dec 3rd, so I noticed them last month, well in advance, to cancel my service on Dec 3rd. Without letting me finish my words, the rep told me that I'll be charged for "early cancelation fees". I had to remind her again my cancelation date is on Dec 3rd, so she could give up her effort. 

Again... Yesterday, I contacted Fido again, and confirmed my cancelation on Dec 3rd. I also let them know that I'll port my current phone number to Telus a few days earlier, but I'll still pay my bill till Dec 3rd. The rep told me, "if you port number before Dec 3rd, we'll regard it as "early cancelation" and you'll have to pay the early cancelation fee. However, if you port after Dec 3rd, you'll not be able to port your number once the service is discontinued". WOW, What can I say... 

Accepted Solution

Re: How Fido treats the customers?

Hi everyone, 

Quick correction here, an account cancelled in the last 30 days of an agreeemnt should not get charged the cancellation fee. Since the user stil gets charged for 30 days this brings the payments beyond the end of the term. 

gta: I have sent you a private message for mre information and to follow up on your account. 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 10
I'm a Contributor Level 1 xero9
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I dislike Fido as much as the next guy, but I have to agree with the most recent rep you spoke to.

If you're month to month and you phone in to give 30 days notice, you can should be able to cancel any time before the 30 days and only pay for the remaining days (I agree it's still a bunch of crock).  IF you're still under an agreement though, you wouldn't be able to port out until the agreement date has ended.  Doesn't matter if it's 1 day or 1 year.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 10

Like I said, there is nothing I can say, simply from so called "Fido Regulations". The fact is, I am paying the bill monthly. Even I port out my number a few days earlier, I will still pay my bill for the whole month. Technically, Fido will not lose any money. On the contrary, they don't need to provide any services for the days being paid by me. 

My point is, it's such an easy thing to provide convenience for an old customer. Instead, they chose to take the last chance to get another 10 or 20 bucks out of your pocket. I believe most of big companies wouldn't make this choice. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 10
MVP
MVP

@gta wrote:

I have been with Fido for more than 4 years. Of course a lot of experiences with their Customer Services, unfortunately, mostly bad ones. My impression is they won't give up any chances if they can reach your pocket. 

Here we go... My contract expires on Dec 3rd, so I noticed them last month, well in advance, to cancel my service on Dec 3rd. Without letting me finish my words, the rep told me that I'll be charged for "early cancelation fees". I had to remind her again my cancelation date is on Dec 3rd, so she could give up her effort. 

Again... Yesterday, I contacted Fido again, and confirmed my cancelation on Dec 3rd. I also let them know that I'll port my current phone number to Telus a few days earlier, but I'll still pay my bill till Dec 3rd. The rep told me, "if you port number before Dec 3rd, we'll regard it as "early cancelation" and you'll have to pay the early cancelation fee. However, if you port after Dec 3rd, you'll not be able to port your number once the service is discontinued". WOW, What can I say... 

Hello Gta,

I am dumbfounded. The number of unrealistic expectations people have will never cease to amaze me. What you're describing as Fido's 'money grab' has nothing to do with Fido or their customer reps -- or their desire to pick at your pocket. None of the mobile companies would be able to do what you're asking. It has nothing to do with 'loyalty' or money and everything to do with logistics.

The computers at any mobile company cannot relinquish a number that is associated with an open account. If you want to port that number, the associated account has to be closed. Plain and simple. There's nothing a customer rep can do about that. Imagine the chaos that would ensue if two (or possibly more) accounts could have the same number. Calls and messages directed to the wrong people... People getting charges for services they never used because the 'other' accounts used them... How would you keep track of anything?

If you want to port your number a couple of days early, then you would have to close the account a couple of days early. What you're asking for is the computer to 'pretend' that the account is still open so you don't have to pay cancellation fees but the number not be associated anymore so you can port it. Unfortunately, computers do not 'pretend'. Either close the account early to disassociate your number early, or wait until your current account expires. You cannot have it both ways.

That said, this *might work though: Purchase a new SIM and get a new number associated with your current account. That would theoretically free your current number so you could port it. Of course it means that you would have to dish out another $10 to Fido...

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 10
Fido Employee sheedy17
Fido Employee

Sorry your having such a hard time with the cancellation,  but once your contract expires, by default, you will fall under the Wireless Code of Canada, so there would be no need for a 30 day notice as it is not required due to the new law.  Like someone above mentioned, if you do cancel before Dec 3rd, it isnt that Fido wants to further frustrate you, it is the system see's that there is a cancellation before the required date and cancels your contract and charges you.  Fido does have policies for porting out 30 days before your contract is over, which I will not go into detail, but it would make things a lot simplier on yourself if you were to port out the next day your contract was over, it would save you a bit of work, that is just my professional opinion, I hope that helps and again sorry for such a run around you received.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 10
I'm a Participant Level 1 malchik
I'm a Participant Level 1

I am a customer for 5 years. During my last contract, my phone broke down after 1 year and 2 months passed my contract. Fido said the warranty is over so they can't do anything. They suggested I cancel my contract and renew with a new phone. I did. It was a mistake. I regret that decision.

Now, my new phone is broken too after 10 months. It's Galaxy S4. I gave it to fido for repair and I got no phone with me now. The stores close to my place have only some old blackberry. That's not good for my work. I thought during warranty, my phone will be replaced by the similar device not some kind irrelevant phone.

Also when I renewed my contract, the rep did not tell me that some of my discounts will be over before my contract. That's some unprofessional rep. Now, if I cancel my contract, I'll pay penalty. If I don't cancel, I'll be paying a lot more for over a year.

I called fido about this. I was on a phone for over an hour with retention department. At the end......pffffffff.

Fido really screwed me this time.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 10
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Haven't been posting for awhile, but as a wireless customer I'm quite dumbfounded that everyone here is going against gta's incident.

In my perspective, gta has done his due deligence by A. upholding his contract for 2 years and B. gave 30 days notice to Fido for his 'upcoming' number change, even if it is a few days prior to this contract ending. GTA is offering to pay full price for those few days he will not be using. 

So far the only reason given is 'the Fido system won't allow it.'  I think it is a flawed argument becuase the fault is at Fido for a rigid computer system, the least Fido can do is reimburse the money gta is overcharged by through the fault of their own system.

unless I am missing something important, I see no error and advantage to gta's request.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted

Very interesting point, Cawtau. Shall we start to think like computer systems, or make the compute more humanized? Isn't that why we still deal with alive reps everyday instead of stubbon computer programs? When I talked it to Telus, they told me, "never mind, we'll give u credit to cover it". Isn't it that simple? Please don't always use computer or regulations as excuses. Human brains are much more complicated than that.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 10
Former Moderator FidoMatt
Former Moderator
Solution

Hi everyone, 

Quick correction here, an account cancelled in the last 30 days of an agreeemnt should not get charged the cancellation fee. Since the user stil gets charged for 30 days this brings the payments beyond the end of the term. 

gta: I have sent you a private message for mre information and to follow up on your account. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 10

Thanks, FidoMatt. You are the best!
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 10