Horrible customer service by fido

I'm a Participant Level 2 CHKLai
I'm a Participant Level 2

Horrible customer service by fido

I am so angered by Michael of the 6-1-1 customer service rep, I am very close to taking my business elsewhere. Everyone I chatted with were courteous, and based on the confirmation of the retention rep, correct in everything they have advised me on.

I first signed up with Fido in 1997, but later on to support my friend I let her set me up on new service on Rogers in 2006, and gave my phone and number to my best  friend to use, who has cancer, because it is cheaper than his existing plan, but too basic for my need. When he finally passed away in 2011, somehow his account was sent to collection for missing two payments, the last two months of my friend's life. When the widow got a call about it, she has made one too many payments to close the account, and I was involved. I was really mad when I found out that the collection personnel was rude to the widow who told her they will dig up the grave to collect if they have to.

You can imagine how displease I was.

2013, a casual conversation with a Fido franchise owner finally convinced me to switch back to Fido. I was pleased with my service for almost two years. So, I was excited about buying the iPhone 6S Plus through the Reserve System. This is where the nightmare begun for me.

The people from chat assured me that it is possible to not change my plan if I pay full-price for the phone so that I can use my FIDODollars, and encourage me to use the reserve system to do so. Two weeks later, I finally got a message that a phone has been assigned, and then a notice that the phone has been delivered to the store I designated. When I got to the store, they couldn't release it to me, because the inventory system has not released it to them. So, they can't release the phone they don't "have". They also mentioned that they only sell the iPhone on contract and they can't do it at full-price. They suggest me to contact FIDO, because until they are assigned the phone where it becomes part of their inventory, they can't look into the order to know for sure.

So, I called, and Michael answered. I thought I have walked into a court with a very sharp, but turns out to be ill-informed,  prosecutor. First, he tried to educate me that how the reservation system work is that even a phone is delivered to the store, it may not be mine if there are people ahead of me, and there is no way that phone has my name on it (despite the store know it is for me because my name is on the piece of paper attached to it, and all the messages I have received, and also not how the reservation system work); second, he told me that the online chat "people" are not "us", they have different rules over there, but the "fact" is that "we don't sell the iPhone 6S Plus at full-price, when you reserve the phone, it would have told you that you can only get it with a contract" (which is not true at all, there is no such clause in the disclosure), and "it is your fault for asking the wrong question using 'incorrect term' ('pay off the phone' versus 'buying it at full-price', really?).

After I hung up, I was not happy, to say the least. So, I called again to see if someone else got different info, similar story, but at least the guy was a lot more courtesy and try everything he can think of to help me. When he failed to find a solution, I asked to be transferred to retention. The call was disconnected, so I call again after I got home, the girl tried to see if she can help, but her understanding was the same, so she transferred me to retention.

The retention guy listened to my story and he was shocked. He talked to someone else just to be sure, and assured me that I was not missing anything when I did the phone reservation: the system is there only to help me get the phone I want, but do not dictate how I will pay for it, nor require to have a contract as long as I am not buying it with any subsidies. So, the chat people were all on point, and EVERYONE I talked to at the phone centre have incorrect information, especially that Michael. He even used the "I have been working here for a few years, and I am telling you...." line with me.

So, if you are thinking of buying a phone through FIDO without a contract, it is possible to do so through the reservation system.

As of right now, the phone is still sitting at the store, and they are still waiting for the inventory transfer so that they can release it to me.

Once I received the phone, I am seriously going consider moving my service elsewhere.

Accepted Solution

Re: Horrible customer service by fido

Hey @CHKLai, thanks for taking the same to share your experience with us. I'm sorry for the inconvenience! 

In order to fully understand the situation and to see what the next step is, I'll have to verify your account. I'm sending you a DM. 

Did you ask to have the phone sent to a Fido store or to Apple? 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
Solution

Hey @CHKLai, thanks for taking the same to share your experience with us. I'm sorry for the inconvenience! 

In order to fully understand the situation and to see what the next step is, I'll have to verify your account. I'm sending you a DM. 

Did you ask to have the phone sent to a Fido store or to Apple? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
I'm a Participant Level 2 CHKLai
I'm a Participant Level 2

Fido Authorized Store DNA at Pacific Mall in Markham, ON
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 Gretzky
I'm a Participant Level 3

C'mon, Fido is pushing away good old customers in favor of young ones, ready to spent a lot of money on overpriced plans and phones.

I can bet that there is still many displeasing surprises to come.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

I guess I am an optimist. I think if the mods say they will look into straightening it out, then we should give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. I am confident that CHKlai will have a positive outcome with FidoRachel. If it doesn't work out, then you can let the powers that be have it. don't shoot the messengers.

If you liked my answer or I solved your problem please click like or solved.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5