Home Phone monthly fee increase?

I'm a Contributor Level 2 gcrmt
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Home Phone monthly fee increase?

I just got my latest invoice and it stated that the monthly fee is increasing by $3/mth....??????

FEE INCREASES FOR FIDO HOME PHONE AND DEVICE PROTECTION SERVICES At Fido, we're all about providing reliable, top-quality service and an excellent network. And to continue offering the level of service you're used to, we're increasing some of our fees. As of May 9, 2016, the monthly service fee for Fido Home Phone will go up by $3 (per line plus applicable taxes), and the monthly service fee for Fido Device Protection will go up by $1 (per line plus applicable taxes). Of course, if you only have one of these services on your account, you'll only pay the increase for that service. You can view your current monthly service fees in this bill. All other aspects of your Fido services will remain the same. This change is made in accordance with the CRTC Wireless Code. If you wish to respond to this notice or have any questions, concerns or wish to modify or cancel your Fido Home Phone service or Device Protection plan, please reach out to us in any of the ways listed in the contact us section of this bill.

The price we pay for monthly home phone is a wireless fee.  I signed up for Fido wireless home phone due to the price.  I was told that the fee will never go up and that's why I signed up, and now Fido is going ahead and increasing the fee?

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Home Phone monthly fee increase?

@gcrmt wrote:

The price we pay for monthly home phone is a wireless fee.  I signed up for Fido wireless home phone due to the price.  I was told that the fee will never go up and that's why I signed up, and now Fido is going ahead and increasing the fee?

Hello Gcrmt,

Unfortunately, the person who told you the fees would never go up was not correct.

I understand you believe that since the home phone is wireless, it falls under the Wireless code. However, the Right to refuse changes clause only applies for the duration of the fixed-term of a post-paid contract. Grandfathered plans are no longer on a fixed-term and therefore would potentially be subject to change. So far, Fido has (thankfully) decided to honour grandfathered plans, but they are well within their right to enforce in-market plans. You will notice that there is no similar clause for pre-paid customers. Since the Fido home phone is also not on a fixed-term contract, the Right to refuse changes clause would not apply either.

It would be akin to renting an apartment. You can sign a lease or go month-to-month. If you sign a two-year lease, the landlord cannot increase rent during that two year period. Following that two year period, you may continue on a month-to-month basis. If you chose month-to-month, the landlord does have the right to increase rent. Yes, there are some stipulations, such as giving ample notice of any rent increase, etc. but it is otherwise pretty much at their discretion. A tenant can then choose to pay the increased rent or look for a new place to live.

With regards to the home phone, it is essentially a month-to-month contract. You have been given ample notice of the price increase. You may choose to stay with the Fido home phone or you may choose to go elsewhere. The Wireless Code would protect you if you chose to cancel the home phone. Since there is no end-date associated with the home phone (and no associated subsidy), they cannot charge you a cancellation fee.

I'm sorry, but it's a little naive to think that fees would never increase. All of the major telecoms recently increased their rates for home phone and certain other services. They blame the weak dollar for their rise in costs. Unfortunately, fixed prices with rising costs is not sustainable -- in any industry. Generally, the price of goods and services have gone up. Home phone service is no different.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 34
I'm a Contributor Level 1 theperfectimage
I'm a Contributor Level 1

As a customer who is on the $18 per month plan I see here we go again as new customers are being offered $9 per month charge.As an older person I do not understand the rewarding of new customers again with much lower fees than us loyal regulars.Anyone care to explain this marketting strategy.TIA 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 31 of 34

Hi @theperfectimage,

The $9 pricing is a promotional price we have right now for a limited time.

Let me send you a PM to see what you have got.

Thanks and talk soon. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 32 of 34
MVP
MVP

@theperfectimage wrote:

As a customer who is on the $18 per month plan I see here we go again as new customers are being offered $9 per month charge.As an older person I do not understand the rewarding of new customers again with much lower fees than us loyal regulars.Anyone care to explain this marketting strategy.TIA 

Hello Theperfectimage,

Not only is promotional pricing as FidoFaiza noted above, it is also not $9/mt indefinitely for new customers. It is only that price for the first 12 months. After those initial months, it will also revert to $18/mt (assuming not in Manitoba, Saskatchewan or Quebec).

With regards to marketing strategy, you see these types of enticement promotions everywhere: $X for the first Y number of months; or X% interest for Y number of months; or Don't pay for Y months...

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 33 of 34
Highlighted

What @Cawtau said, the promo price is for 12 months only. 

Thanks for pointing it out, @Cawtau Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 34 of 34