Hardware upgrade on BYOP Plan

SOLVED
SNPB
I'm a Participant Level 2

Good evening, I currently have a BYOP plan however, I would like to get a new phone but still keep my existing plan.

Accepted Solution

Re: New phone

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello SNPB,

Welcome to the community!

If you would like to keep your existing plan, you would have to purchase your new phone outright. Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) plans do not have any subsidy towards the purchase of new devices. If you would like to subsidise your new phone, you will have to get a new plan with subsidy attached.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3
SNPB
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thank you this helps. Could you give me more information on subsidy?

Hello again,

Fido has recently changed their plan structure from the Plus15, Plus 35, etc model to a Small, Medium, and Large subsidy model. If you go to Fido.ca and view the current plans, you'll note that each of the plans have a BYOP option as well as Plans with a new Phone options.

For example, 6Gb plan in Ontario:

plan.jpg

The Small option would offer $10/mt subsidy towards the purchase of a new phone. The Medium option would offer $15/mt subsidy towards the purchase of a new phone. Similarly the Large option would offer $25/mt subsidy.

Some phones/devices might also have a certain amount required as an initial cost. If you visit the Phone & Device page on Fido.ca and select a phone or device, they will provide you with the upfront costs and potential subsidy plan options for specific devices.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello SNPB,

Welcome to the community!

If you would like to keep your existing plan, you would have to purchase your new phone outright. Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) plans do not have any subsidy towards the purchase of new devices. If you would like to subsidise your new phone, you will have to get a new plan with subsidy attached.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers