HUAWEI Y6 - NO languages other than English or French?

SOLVED
ariscdn
I'm a Participant Level 3

PROBLEM: I just received the HUAWEI Y6 from Fido. It seems that you can not set it in any other language/region other than English or French. The Fido rep on the chat did not know anything about this. He searched on youtube and sent me the same link I found on how to change the language. The actual phone from Fido does NOT offer any other language. The HUAWEI support phone number happens to be in the US and they did not KNOW what FIDO was. Also, the HUAWEI Canada website does NOT list the Y6 as a model either. I guess that sending it back is my only option left. It's really not good that Fido does not list this language limitation on their website for this particular phone. We are in 2015 and most phones (I assume) can be set in any language.

Accepted Solution

Re: HUAWEI Y6 - NO languages other than English or French?

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@ariscdn wrote:

... Also, the HUAWEI Canada website does NOT list the Y6 as a model either. ...It's really not good that Fido does not list this language limitation on their website for this particular phone. We are in 2015 and most phones (I assume) can be set in any language.

Hello Ariscdn,

Welcome to the forums!

Huawei Canada is not strictly a mobile phone manufacturer. I was able to find this link to their mobile phone offerings by following Products --> Personal Devices. The Y6 is indeed listed.

I understand your frustration regarding the lack of language options for that particular phone. However, contrary to your assumptions, most phones do not have the ability to set any language -- even in 2015. Which language are you interested in? I just checked my Galaxy S5 and the only additional languages are Korean and Chinese. While you may have been happy with either of those two languages, there's no Spanish, no Portugese, no Russian...

It's the phone manufacturers -- not the wireless companies -- who would determine which system languages are available based on the likely target markets. In Canada, those target market languages are English and French. Yes, Canada is multicultural. However, the more optional languages means less memory for other applications. How many languages should be included? Which ones? Since most people only set their phone's system language once, all that memory storing the additional language information would not be usable for anything else. With the size of apps ever increasing, memory is at a premium. Initiatives to reallocate previously wasted memory is fitting.

I also understand that you might not have chosen that particular phone if you knew there were no other language options. However, it is rather unlikely the manufacturers listed the optional languages when they provided the information to the wireless companies. Moreover, I have yet to find a mobile phone specification site which lists the optional languages.

If you do decide to return the phone and select a different one, I suggest you try to see if your particular language is available on that phone before you purchase it.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
7 REPLIES 7
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@ariscdn wrote:

... Also, the HUAWEI Canada website does NOT list the Y6 as a model either. ...It's really not good that Fido does not list this language limitation on their website for this particular phone. We are in 2015 and most phones (I assume) can be set in any language.

Hello Ariscdn,

Welcome to the forums!

Huawei Canada is not strictly a mobile phone manufacturer. I was able to find this link to their mobile phone offerings by following Products --> Personal Devices. The Y6 is indeed listed.

I understand your frustration regarding the lack of language options for that particular phone. However, contrary to your assumptions, most phones do not have the ability to set any language -- even in 2015. Which language are you interested in? I just checked my Galaxy S5 and the only additional languages are Korean and Chinese. While you may have been happy with either of those two languages, there's no Spanish, no Portugese, no Russian...

It's the phone manufacturers -- not the wireless companies -- who would determine which system languages are available based on the likely target markets. In Canada, those target market languages are English and French. Yes, Canada is multicultural. However, the more optional languages means less memory for other applications. How many languages should be included? Which ones? Since most people only set their phone's system language once, all that memory storing the additional language information would not be usable for anything else. With the size of apps ever increasing, memory is at a premium. Initiatives to reallocate previously wasted memory is fitting.

I also understand that you might not have chosen that particular phone if you knew there were no other language options. However, it is rather unlikely the manufacturers listed the optional languages when they provided the information to the wireless companies. Moreover, I have yet to find a mobile phone specification site which lists the optional languages.

If you do decide to return the phone and select a different one, I suggest you try to see if your particular language is available on that phone before you purchase it.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

ariscdn

Thanks for your answer. 

I've looked up and there are youtube videos where they show how to change the language to Spanish like you would do on the iphone. The Fido rep himself looked up for the same video and send it to me so I could change the language. Yes, on this particular model, Y6... But my phone does not give the option for any other language. The Fido rep did not know that you couldn't do that.

Some websites say I should install an app that will allow me to change the region / langauge. I tried 3 apps and they can't work because I don't have "permissions".... I'm not a technician, but apparently I have to connect the phone to USB and install certain software in my computer, etc etc etc.

I now wonder if this matters is because the phone is locked to Fido, and if unlocked, this language "restriction" will go away... I wonder if that's the whole problem.

JonathanH
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi Ariscdn,

I had exactly the same problem as you had. dont know if you already solved it, hope you didnt return your phone yet.

I ready love my new phone Huawei Y6 it is like a light year better than my previous Iphone 4s.

But, I found out it doesnt have the Chinese input with it. I dont really mind using English however its a problem when it comes to texting my parents who only read Chinese lol.

There isn't many comments about this issue on internet. I was frustrated until one idea came cross my mind which is using an app. I was not sure about this idea though. I went to the play store ( or any app stores), I searched for chinese pinyin keyborad, and it was there. So I downloaded it and it is free Smiley

When downloading was finished, I just simply open the app and it asked me if I wanna install the pinyin keyboard. I clicked yes, then voila, its done!

Know I can input Chinese and switch between Chinese and English easily.

It is really not difficult at all. I am quite sure there must be other language keyborad app available in stores.

Actually before I tryed this method, I tryed also, settings----language & input----google keyboard----appearance & layouts------custom input styles--- (right top corner "+")-----there you can choose different languages.

Unfortunately, I couldnt find Chinese there, maybe you can find yours. Good luck!

@ariscdn wrote:

... But my phone does not give the option for any other language. ...

Some websites say I should install an app that will allow me to change the region / langauge. I tried 3 apps and they can't work because I don't have "permissions".... I'm not a technician, but apparently I have to connect the phone to USB and install certain software in my computer, etc etc etc.

I now wonder if this matters is because the phone is locked to Fido, and if unlocked, this language "restriction" will go away... I wonder if that's the whole problem.

Hello again,

Phone manufacturers make different versions of the same model of phone for the different target markets. Differences between the versions may include varying hardware, alternative bands/frequencies, and relevant to yourself, different language options. As I mentioned above, the target market languages in Canada are English and French. I saw a Youtube video regarding 'how to change the language'. I'm guessing that the version in that video was an International version since the default language was English (UK) and not English (US). Unlocking the Canadian version of that phone from Fido will not change the available language options.

To be able to change system settings (such as language), the phone would require root access. Again, this does not have anything to do with the wireless companies. Android prevents access to core system functions for a number different reasons, including preventing viruses and malware from gaining control of the phone. However, many users like to gain access to those functions so they can tweak their phones. Gaining core system access is referred to as rooting (allowing those permissions). Simply unlocking your phone from Fido will not allow root access. To do so, you would need the USB cable, computer, etc as described to you already. You should note that doing so would likey void any warranty on the phone.

Alternatively, they could have been referring to flashing the phone. Simply, that is changing the core software to a different version. In this case, that would mean replacing the Canadian software with the International one. To do so, you would also need the USB cable, computer, etc. Again, doing so would likely void warranty.

An word of caution: If not done properly, you could brick your phone and make it unusable.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

ariscdn

You have provided real explanation now. Much better than in your first reply! This is very kind of you. I wish Fido agents took the time to know/explain this!!! And even HUAWEI agents (two of them) had explained that too.

I wonder how many phone agents actually know for fact which of their phones accept international settings such as the iPhone, Moto E, G, X ... which we know for fact they do.

If I send this phone back, I want them to be able to send me one that will be able to change langauges easily without having to buy and return multiple times! I'll contact Fido later and put the agents to test, I'll tell you how many knew for fact which phones allow this or not... I'll report back here.

@ariscdn wrote:

You have provided real explanation now. Much better than in your first reply! This is very kind of you. ..

Hello,

No worries, you're welcome! Smiley

@ariscdn wrote:

...I'll contact Fido later and put the agents to test, I'll tell you how many knew for fact which phones allow this or not... I'll report back here.

I don't think that would prove to be very reliable or even useful. As mentioned above, that information is not readily available. All mobile phones would have the ability to change the language. However, how many different languages and knowing which languages are available would be a different story. Unless they have direct access to the particular phone in question, there is no way to find out which languages are on the phone. Unfortunately, most of the display phones are non-functional. They may be able to tell you which model version Fido carries, but that in itself does not necessarily provide certainty as to which languages are available on that particular version. You're just setting them up to fail, and yourself added frustration.

I trust you are also aware that there are different versions of the phones you mentioned. Your desired language may be found in some of the versions you have listed, but it might not be found in all of the versions.

**edit** So how can you find out if your language is available on a particular model version? You would have to do your own research. Search different forums and inquire about a particular model version. For example, 'Does anyone have a Galaxy S5 SMG900F? Is <language> available on the phone?..'

Cheers

ariscdn

I have no idea! I'm learning after this purchase as we are all when reading these posts. Sales agents will eventually learn too.

Thanks for your help. Fido should employ you now Smiley