Got roaming charges but Cell Data=Off, Data Roaming=Off, Airplane Mode=Off?

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

Got roaming charges but Cell Data=Off, Data Roaming=Off, Airplane Mode=Off?

I live in Canada but was on vacation in Mexico in Jan/Feb 2018.  I use an iPhone 6 and took all necessary precautions to ensure I would not get any roaming charges on my account. Specifically, I set Cellular Data=Off, Data Roaming=Off, Airplane Mode=On.

I connected to the internet ONLY via WiFi at our residence, in shops and in coffee bars etc.

To my surprise, daily roaming charges were still incurred.  How is this possible when I took the precautions necessary?  My suspicion is that the sending or receiving of text messages is what was triggering this, but I don't think MMS/IM is supposed to trigger roaming fees for the day if connection is via WiFi.

I have a theory as follows:

1) Connected to a local WiFi, I send a message.

2) WiFi connection drops erratically/intermittently, but only for very brief periods (seconds, not minutes) before reconnecting (flaky WiFi is a possibility in some areas of course).

3) Dropped WiFi (no matter how brief), causes some sort of default connection to the Internet outside of WiFi (even though precautions are still in place). The drop triggers Data Roaming charges to start for 24 hrs.

Can someone tell me if this theory is valid? Is this how the system works with respect to Instant Messaging and iPhones?

Accepted Solution

Re: Got roaming charges but Cell Data=Off, Data Roaming=Off, Airplane Mode=

Hello DJF,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear got you an unexpected surprise upon your return. What plan type do you have? Is it a plan with Fido Roam? Or is the charge a roaming data charge?

I understand you disabled cellular data as well as roaming data. I also understand you enabled airplane mode. Does your iPhone 6 have Wifi-calling enabled?

@DJF wrote:...My suspicion is that the sending or receiving of text messages is what was triggering this, but I don't think MMS/IM is supposed to trigger roaming fees for the day if connection is via WiFi....

Are the message correspondance via iMessage or SMS/MMS? If you have Fido Roam, outgoing Wi-Fi Calling messages (SMS/MMS) and calls to a non-Canadian number will incur the Fido Roam daily charge (taken from here). It does not necessarily have to be data to trigger the fee.

If you don't have Fido Roam, sending text messages (SMS) will incur a roaming text charge 75¢ per SMS sent (see Zone 3, here). You should note that sending and/or receiving MMS does not get transmitted via Wifi (except for Wifi-calling) and would be considered roaming data and therefore incur the $ 9.99 per 10 MB (24 hours) fee. That said, if your phone had airplane mode enabled, it should not have been able to send/receive SMS or MMS.

@DJF wrote:....

3) Dropped WiFi (no matter how brief), causes some sort of default connection to the Internet outside of WiFi (even though precautions are still in place). The drop triggers Data Roaming charges to start for 24 hrs....

If your phone had airplane mode enabled, it should not have been able to connect to data outside of Wifi.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 13
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for the feedback @rho88 and welcome to the Community! Smiley 

At this time we only send a notification with the rates on the first day when your phone connects to another network. I will be happy to share your suggestion with the team in charge. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 13
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Rho88,

Welcome to the community!

For what will activate Fido Roam:

Fido Roam.jpg

Taken from here.

If you use your services outside of Canada, it will be considered roaming and will be charged accordingly. As you note, receiving a call incurs the daily roam fee. While not answering the call might have prevented the daily fee, you should note that rejecting or declining a call is not the same as not answering  a call when roaming.

If you do not answer a call (ie let call ring through) while outside of Canada, the call gets forwarded to your voicemail via Fido's networks. On the other hand, if you decline or reject a call while outside of Canada, the call gets forwarded to your voicemail via a foreign network and will likely incur daily roam charges.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 13
Highlighted

Hi Cawtau,

That part of the description of Fido Roam was not there last year. In fact I called customer service in December and they gave me a full credit. I guess it got updated at the same time the price increased from $10 to $12. On the same call the agent also deactivated International Fido Roam on my account (but kept the US one just in case).

From what I was told, people with the pulse plan can call customer service to have Fido roam disabled if they wish to.

I now changed my plan that is not Fido Pulse... so no more problems. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 13