Got Charged For 1KB of U.S. Data Roaming Usage

I'm a Participant Level 2 whxtw
I'm a Participant Level 2

Got Charged For 1KB of U.S. Data Roaming Usage

Hello,

I would just like to get an opinion on my situation.

I was recently charged $7.99 for 1KB of U.S. data roaming. While the rate is correct ($7.99/50MB), I am very puzzled by the fact that it stated I used only 1KB. Yes, I was indeed in the States, but I had my cellular data, enable LTE, and data roaming options OFF (I have an iPhone 6). So even if I were roaming accidentally (I drove so perhaps I switched my data back on too soon at the border or something, despite the carrier had changed to Fido), how is it possible that I only used 1KB? Downloading and opening an email (let alone a web page) easily uses more than 1KB.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Do you think I can dispute? It just does not make sense.

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Got Charged For 1KB of U.S. Data Roaming Usage

you are probably correct on the facts and that your data roaming was off. There was a slight problem with people being billed small amounts of usage in the US. Contact customer service for more information but they can refund you the $7.99.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
Fido Employee sheedy17
Fido Employee
Solution

you are probably correct on the facts and that your data roaming was off. There was a slight problem with people being billed small amounts of usage in the US. Contact customer service for more information but they can refund you the $7.99.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

I had the same problem last month traveling to the US.

was charged a total of 45kb and 2 x $7.99 packages.

Called them and they reversed the charges.

Went to Apple Store to see why it did what it did and they can't figure out why there's data charge.

the only thing i could think of was while i was in the US, i did somehow get fido signal on my phone for maybe a min at a time.

maybe that was what caused the data charges?

Apple said the minumum data was used to "ping" the network.

I'm just worried that this will happen when i'm travelling to Asia for the holidays.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3