Getting charged long distance for voicemail

SOLVED
mostlythriller
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I am getting frustrated with Fido and I've just been a customer for 1 day.

I have the by the minute plan that charges $0.40 per minute. I should only be charged $0.40 per minute when I access my voicemail from my local calling area. I am being charged $0.80 per minute. 

I called customer service and the confused-sounding young man couldn't explain it. He tried to convince me that I was charged $0.80 because I was checking my voicemail from outside my local calling area, I wasn't. I have a Sherbrooke number and I was calling from Sherbrooke. Not my fault the voicemail number is a 416 number. 

When I wasn't buying his explanation he tried to tell me it was because the incoming call was from outside my local area. What? That doesn't even make sense. If I'm in my local calling area incoming calls are only charged airtime.  

I am speechless. I don't know what to do anymore.

Accepted Solution

Re: Getting charged long distance for voicemail

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAmanda

Hey Everyone!

I double checked on this for you guys and I can confirm that, on a prepaid account, airtime and long distance rates apply for calling your voicemail if the retrieval number is located outside of your local calling area. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
13 REPLIES 13
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@mostlythriller wrote:

I am getting frustrated with Fido and I've just been a customer for 1 day.

I have the by the minute plan that charges $0.40 per minute. I should only be charged $0.40 per minute when I access my voicemail from my local calling area. I am being charged $0.80 per minute. 

I called customer service and the confused-sounding young man couldn't explain it. He tried to convince me that I was charged $0.80 because I was checking my voicemail from outside my local calling area, I wasn't. I have a Sherbrooke number and I was calling from Sherbrooke. Not my fault the voicemail number is a 416 number. 

When I wasn't buying his explanation he tried to tell me it was because the incoming call was from outside my local area. What? That doesn't even make sense. If I'm in my local calling area incoming calls are only charged airtime.  

I am speechless. I don't know what to do anymore.

Hello Mostlythriller,

As long as you are in your local calling area, there is no long distance for retrieveing your voicemail even though the number is a 416.

That is what I was trying to get at in your other post. I'm not quite convinced voicemail is included with the 40¢ Anytime plan. Voicemail is available for that plan but it seems like it's on a pay-per-use basis. A similar situation happened to another community member here.

There is pre-paid voicemail as pay-per-use. It says same rate as your airtime plan. But does that mean it only costs airtime? Or the same rate plus airtime? If it's the latter, then it explains why the both of you incurred 80¢/min for accessing it. 

**edit** I am awaiting clarification on the matter.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @mostlythriller!

Checking your voicemail cost $0.40/minute + applicable long-distance charges. Since the retrieval number is a long-distance number for you, long-distance charges do apply.

Hope this clarifies. Smiley

@FidoMaria wrote:

Hi @mostlythriller!

Checking your voicemail cost $0.40/minute + applicable long-distance charges. Since the retrieval number is a long-distance number for you, long-distance charges do apply.

Hope this clarifies. Smiley

Hello FidoMaria,

According to this screen capture, long-distance shouldn't apply **edit** provide calling from within LCA**

Voicemail.jpg

Taken from here.

Has that policy changed?

Cheers

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

All that really means is when you are OUTSIDE your LCA and call your voice mail, LD charges will apply, even if your Voicemail Retreival number has a different area code.

For example, You have a vancouver number, your voicemail retreival number is an alberta number, and you are visiting alberta (calgary) and call your voice mail, you get charged long distance, but if your in vancouver (your home LCA), and your voice mail is an alberta number and call it, you dont pay LD, its considered a local call.  This is because the system "knows"  which city you belong to, and which voice mail node your provisioned on and in the back end, wont charge you if your in your home city (LCA), but if you leave your home city (LCA), it will and its suppost to because thats how LD works.

@Paolo wrote:

All that really means is when you are OUTSIDE your LCA and call your voice mail, LD charges will apply, even if your Voicemail Retreival number has a different area code.

For example, You have a vancouver number, your voicemail retreival number is an alberta number, and you are visiting alberta (calgary) and call your voice mail, you get charged long distance, but if your in vancouver (your home LCA), and your voice mail is an alberta number and call it, you dont pay LD, its considered a local call.  This is because the system "knows"  which city you belong to, and which voice mail node your provisioned on and in the back end, wont charge you if your in your home city (LCA), but if you leave your home city (LCA), it will and its suppost to because thats how LD works.

Hello Paolo,

Thanks for the explanation. However, as far as I am aware, there is only one non-iPhone number and one iPhone number for all provinces.

Voicemail number.jpg

Taken from here.

Both community members were retrieving their messages from within their local calling areas. So either the provisioning wasn't working properly, or something else is going on...

Cheers

mostlythriller

I don't know what to do.

I am calling from my LCA, and even though the vm number is 416 I know that long distance charges shouldn't apply, and yet I am being charged for long distance when I call the vm number.

@mostlythriller wrote:

I don't know what to do.

I am calling from my LCA, and even though the vm number is 416 I know that long distance charges shouldn't apply, and yet I am being charged for long distance when I call the vm number.

Hello again,

Does it actually say the charges are for long-distance? Or is it just the 80¢/min?

Cheers

mostlythriller

When I make a local call it comes up as local call and the amt is $0.40. 

When I call vm there is no call description and it comes up as $0.80. The $4.00 one was when I first set up the vm. The call itself was just under 5 mins so it should have only been $2.00.

The customer service rep I talked to when I called fido said it was because I was calling vm outside my LCA and getting long distance charges even though I was calling from inside my LCA. 

**in case it's not clear, the 416 821-6549 is the vm number

fido.png

Hello again,

As mentioned above, it's possible that the charge is not for long-distance, but rather voice messaging isn't included in your plan and is being charged on a pay-per-use basis. It's purely speculation at this point. I am awaiting clarification.

It's also possible that the number is improperly provisioned for your location. Unfortunately that means you're left in limbo until we get clarification. You might consider sending a moderator a PM. Once they have verified your account information, they may be able to provide you with additional information.

Cheers

mostlythriller

Thank you for your reply. I am just incredibly frustrated.

I called fido prepaid customer service twice, I spoke to two different people. If voice messaging isn't included in my plan I would hope that one of them would have told me.

Hey Everyone!

I double checked on this for you guys and I can confirm that, on a prepaid account, airtime and long distance rates apply for calling your voicemail if the retrieval number is located outside of your local calling area. 

Hope this helps!

@FidoAmandaN wrote:

Hey Everyone!

Hope this helps!

Hello FidoAmandaN,

Thanks for confirming that information. Could you also please clarify whether that is applicable for all of the prepaid plans?

**edit** Could you also please verify whether the same charges would be applicable when retrieving voicemail from a landline?**

Also, the website will need to be amended with that information because currently as it stands, it states that there are no long distance charges for calling that number on the Fido network while in your Local Calling Area (LCA), even if the number is from a different province, for both prepaid and pospaid accounts.

Personally, I don't think it's fair to charge the long-distance. Fido only provides one number to access voicemail across Canada. If you happen to live local to that number, you're in luck. However, it's just too bad if you live outside that area code... 

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi everyone!

There seems to be a discrepancy between what we have internally and what's on Fido.ca. I'm having the info verified and will update this thread as soon as I have a clear answer.

Thanks. Smiley