Getting charged for accessing voicemail on prepaid

SOLVED
trinhT
I'm a Participant Level 1

Is it normal to get charge to access my voicemail? I am on a prepaid service.

Accepted Solution

Re: Getting charged for accessing voicemail on prepaid

Solved by Former Moderator FidoSamantha

Hi There!

It is indeed normal for airtime to be consumed while calling your voicemail whether you have a monthly or prepaid account.

View solution in context
7 REPLIES 7
afterthefact
Fido Employee

Also, if you don't want to be charged airtime for checking your messages you can always check your messages from a landline phone if you have access to one.  Here are the steps to follow:

1.  Call your own fido number

2.  When you hear your greeting message, press # to interrupt the greeting

3.  Enter your voicemail access code followed by #

4.  Follow the instructions to listen to and manage your messages.

More voicemail tips are available on fido.ca at this link :  http://www.fido.ca/web/content/addon/pre_voice_messaging

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

i think you only get charged airtime if someone "leaves" you a message, if no one leaves u a msg, you dont pay.

@Paolo wrote:

i think you only get charged airtime if someone "leaves" you a message, if no one leaves u a msg, you dont pay.

Hello Paolo,

I don't think there is any charge (airtime or otherwise) if someone leaves a message, only if you retrieve them. See under: Using your Voice Messaging while travelling.

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/addon/pre_voice_messaging

Cheers

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

so let me get this straight, someone who has pay as u go with no voice mail and someone who has pay as u go with voice mail then essentially pay the same every month, so one of them is getting voicemail at no charge.   so the only way they pay is for regular air time rates for calling voice mail? what if they use their home phone to call the retreival number and check messages, that means they would not even pay for airtime to check voice mail so essentially voicemail would be free? that CANT be right, knowing fido and their parent company rogers, how can this be correct? this company is known to gouge us, but someone found a way to get voice mail free and they havent shut down this loop hole? i hily doubt this is the case, im thinking there i some thine else to explain this? they must have a way to charge you for having vm on pay as u go and not by you calling it using air time, as i just explained above.

@Paolo wrote:

so let me get this straight, someone who has pay as u go with no voice mail and someone who has pay as u go with voice mail then essentially pay the same every month, so one of them is getting voicemail at no charge.   so the only way they pay is for regular air time rates for calling voice mail? what if they use their home phone to call the retreival number and check messages, that means they would not even pay for airtime to check voice mail so essentially voicemail would be free?...

Hello,

I know this thread is quite old, however I just came across it again...

Did you see Afterthefact's apology above?

@afterthefact wrote:
My apologies, please disregard my previous message. Although the instructions I provided do work to check your voicemail from a landline - the charge for airtime will still apply since you have a prepaid account. So regardless if you call your voicemail from your Fido phone or from a landline, the charges apply.

Cheers

My apologies, please disregard my previous message. Although the instructions I provided do work to check your voicemail from a landline - the charge for airtime will still apply since you have a prepaid account. So regardless if you call your voicemail from your Fido phone or from a landline, the charges apply.

FidoSamantha
Former Moderator

Hi There!

It is indeed normal for airtime to be consumed while calling your voicemail whether you have a monthly or prepaid account.