Galaxy S6 security updates

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Galaxy S6 security updates

I am wondering why the Galaxy S6 is still sitting with a November security update. I know people with unlocked versions that have January 2016. Whose fault is this Samsung or Fido? bad enough you have to wait 6 months for a software update for this phone. Over 3 months now since 6.0 has been out and nothing on update schedule here, Nada.

Accepted Solution

Re: Galaxy S6 security updates

Hey everyone!

The wait is over... The Android M update with Wi-Fi Calling & security updates is now available for the S6/S6 Edge! Thank you, everyone, for your patience with this.

To find out more about Wi-Fi Calling, click here.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 24
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey tcartr, 

No word yet on when the next software update will be released for the S6.

You can keep an eye out on our OS Upgrade Schedule page here for any updates. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 24
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@tcartr wrote:

I am wondering why the Galaxy S6 is still sitting with a November security update. I know people with unlocked versions that have January 2016. Whose fault is this Samsung or Fido? bad enough you have to wait 6 months for a software update for this phone. Over 3 months now since 6.0 has been out and nothing on update schedule here, Nada.

**Edited to add labels

Hello Tcartr,

With regards to the android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update, its estimated arrival from Samsung is first quarter of 2016. Please note that once Samsung has completed its development, it will then get sent to the mobile companies. Each mobile company would then implement it with their networks before releasing the update. Also see here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 24
Highlighted

I am asking about the monthly security patches Samsung pledge to release monthly. As it stands my S6 last patch was November. So either Samsung is not releasing them or they are and Fido not pushing them. I see an article they will be releasing March patch will Fido phones get it? As far as marshmallow I won't waste my time we are lucky if between Fido and Samsung we get it before June what joke.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 24
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

While I know this doesn't help right now, you might want to consider a Nexus phone next time. I've had Marshmallow on my Nexus 5 since October. Currently running 6.0.1 with the February patch level.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 24
Highlighted

My last phone was the Nexus 5, on a new contract I decided to try Samsung for the first time. I Will definitely get a Nexus again likely with another provider.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 24
Highlighted

Notice no comments from Fido people on this topic of security updates. Now all overthr net I read Samsung is putting out February security update will we get it or we stay stuck on a November security patch? Why are so many propels with this? I am leaving Fido after this contract and maybe I buy it out before.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 24
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey tcartr! 

We'd hate to see you leave. Sad As soon as we have an update, we'll let you know!  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 24
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1
I'm a Contributor Level 1

i suspect Fido might be a little hesistant to implement monthly security updates considering the debacle that was 5.1.1....  that said there are other methods to secure your device (antivirus programs) that would patch holes as soon as theyre discovered until a more permanent fix can be had.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 24
Highlighted

Thank you Kevin31, I know that but the point is Fido and Rogers are the worst at OS updates. As of today I see now Bell has announced the S6 will get marshmallow around same time as Telus this month. I pray for the day carriers and manufacturers deliver a stock android and leave their bloatware in the app store. Rogers bloatware **bleep** holds up its updates as do Fido. In a few days I switching my secondary account out by just doing a number move and shortly after my main.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 24