Galaxy S6 security updates

SOLVED
I'm a Contributor Level 2

I am wondering why the Galaxy S6 is still sitting with a November security update. I know people with unlocked versions that have January 2016. Whose fault is this Samsung or Fido? bad enough you have to wait 6 months for a software update for this phone. Over 3 months now since 6.0 has been out and nothing on update schedule here, Nada.

Accepted Solution

Re: Galaxy S6 security updates

Solved by Community Manager

Hey everyone!

The wait is over... The Android M update with Wi-Fi Calling & security updates is now available for the S6/S6 Edge! Thank you, everyone, for your patience with this.

To find out more about Wi-Fi Calling, click here.

View solution in context
23 REPLIES 23

Well it's great Fido finally after almost a year released the Android M update but yet the security patch is sitting at the July Security Patch, you would think it would have the August Security Patch... Once again way a go Fido/(Rogers) for not keeping this up to date.........

I'm Helpful Level 1

Yes I agree the late into August you would expect it to have August. I heard that had many crucial fixes, my friends S6 received that update almost 2 weeks ago.

Wow well isn't that just lovely, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Fido/(Rogers) took the Android M update from a different carrier & modified it as their own as it took them almost a year just to release Android M on the S6/S6 Edge devices

So i did the update under tellus 2 weeks ago and my phone works SUPER GREAT i even have the VOLTE.

My version is G920W8VLU3CPC8, can someone let me know what version they got after doing their M update with Fido?

I'm Helpful Level 1

@Dions

I have Bell version on my phone a friend updated today and has version G920W8VLU4CPG5.

Seems to be working great in early going, wifi calling and all.

As I predicted it was released in silence like they were first to get it out, no explanation no announcement, I knew it was out before any mod mentioned it here.

There was no apolgy, well the mods did but what about something from the top? talk about taking the customer for granted.

I did the update through Virgin/(Bell) & got VoLTE & Wifi Calling just this past week than after I heard that Fido/(Rogers) came out with the update hours later, I ended up installing the one from Fido & still got the same results as the Virgin/(Bell) update. That's why I said "I wouldn't be surprised if they took the update from another carrier & modified it as their own" lmao

I'm Helpful Level 1

With the Fido phone as most of us guessed soon as you are on WiFi a pop-up I forms you that using wifi calling will deduct from your plan minutes.

Thank you Kevin31, I know that but the point is Fido and Rogers are the worst at OS updates. As of today I see now Bell has announced the S6 will get marshmallow around same time as Telus this month. I pray for the day carriers and manufacturers deliver a stock android and leave their bloatware in the app store. Rogers bloatware **bleep** holds up its updates as do Fido. In a few days I switching my secondary account out by just doing a number move and shortly after my main.
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I would be interested to know who 'promised' these updates on a monthly basis.  was it google, samsung or fido?  i'll bet it's google, and they no teeth to enforce their updates make it down the line. 

The updates were promised by Google and then Samsung promised the same and yes they just released a February update and the S6 on Fido still sits on November's security update. Nexus devices are now able to download Androd N beta and six Months later my  Fido S6 is still waiting for Android M, how is that acceptable?  smh

I'm a Participant Level 3
I'm a Participant Level 3

Why is this marked as sovled? The update doesn't even have a set date anymore.

Hey @d33 and thank you for using the Community.

Concerning the update, I invite you to keep an eye at our OS Update schedule here.

I'm Qualified Level 1

Exactly what is coming soon supposed to indicate? Months ago it was promised in June 2016 but now it's obvious that ain't happening. Android N is already in beta testing so with any luck good carriers will be releasing that to their customers while us Fido peons sit her idly waiting for the carrot that is Marshmallow. Frankly this is pathetic given its been months that the other carriers pushed Marshmallow OTA. I can't wait for my contract to expire and find a carrier with concerns about providing updates expeditiously.

Hey everyone!

The wait is over... The Android M update with Wi-Fi Calling & security updates is now available for the S6/S6 Edge! Thank you, everyone, for your patience with this.

To find out more about Wi-Fi Calling, click here.

I totally get your frustration @tcartr . We'd hate to see you go . 

I wish I had updates to give you regarding this but nothing new for now. I'll make sure to forward your feedback though, that's how things could change!

Notice no comments from Fido people on this topic of security updates. Now all overthr net I read Samsung is putting out February security update will we get it or we stay stuck on a November security patch? Why are so many propels with this? I am leaving Fido after this contract and maybe I buy it out before.

Hey tcartr! 

We'd hate to see you leave. Sad As soon as we have an update, we'll let you know!  

I'm a Contributor Level 1

i suspect Fido might be a little hesistant to implement monthly security updates considering the debacle that was 5.1.1....  that said there are other methods to secure your device (antivirus programs) that would patch holes as soon as theyre discovered until a more permanent fix can be had.

My last phone was the Nexus 5, on a new contract I decided to try Samsung for the first time. I Will definitely get a Nexus again likely with another provider.

I am asking about the monthly security patches Samsung pledge to release monthly. As it stands my S6 last patch was November. So either Samsung is not releasing them or they are and Fido not pushing them. I see an article they will be releasing March patch will Fido phones get it? As far as marshmallow I won't waste my time we are lucky if between Fido and Samsung we get it before June what joke.