Galaxy Note 4 question

Galaxy Note 4 question

Galaxy Note 4 question

mysaurin
I'm a Participant Level 3

Galaxy Note 4 question

Hello all

I have never done any modification to my earlier phones that I had recently (iphone 5, Samsung S4, Samsung S5 and currently using Samsung Note 4). Looks like now most new Samsung phones comes with marshmallow 6.0 but not sure or even Note 4 & S5 going to get it. I heard from somone in the bus that Android Phones can be modified (is it called Root?) and then we can have all latest softwares that is currently running. Any advise from experts, pros and cons?. My Note 4 & S5 are already out of warranty so not worried about it.

Please share your thoughts and how do it, any recommended sources?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
KAPABLE-K
MVP

Hi @mysaurin

Rooting a phone does not mean you can get the latest software updates. Rooting just means you have root access and can read and write to the system directory. 

You can get custom roms for the older device that is not supported for the newer OS upgrades. I suggest you go to XDA Developers and you can get all the related information you need there.

Cawtau
Senior MVP

@mysaurin wrote:

Hello all

...Looks like now most new Samsung phones comes with marshmallow 6.0 but not sure or even Note 4 & S5 going to get it. I heard from somone in the bus that Android Phones can be modified (is it called Root?) and then we can have all latest softwares that is currently running. Any advise from experts, pros and cons?. My Note 4 & S5 are already out of warranty so not worried about it.

Please share your thoughts and how do it, any recommended sources?

Thanks!

Hello Mysaurin,

The good news is that Samsung has developed Marshmallow updates for both the Note 4 and S5. If you can be a little more patient, the updates for the Canadian versions of those phones should be released in the next little while. Were both those phones from Fido? If not, they might not receive the update when Fido pushes the OTA update. You should still be able to update to Marshmallow using Samsung Kies.

With regards to modifying the phones, rooting would allow access to the core systems of the phone. It doesn't change the version of android. It is often done to customise their phones and remove unwanted pre-installed apps.

To change the version of android, you would need to flash a new firmware to the phone.

@mysaurin wrote:

... we can have all latest softwares that is currently running....

Yes and no. You can flash the latest firmwares to your phone, but those firmwares are phone version specific. You shouldn't use a different firmware that wasn't specific to your phone version. Different phone versions often have differing hardware. Flashing a firmware that is not specific to a particular phone version may work, but more often than not, it won't. For example, there are versions of Marshallow for the S5 available in Korea and other parts of the world. Trying to flash those on a Canadian S5 would likely not work.

Recently, there have been others in the community who flashed the Telus Marshmallow update for the S6 to their Fido phones. It worked for them, because both Telus and Fido use the same Canadian version of the S6. The downside of flashing the Telus update is that their phones will now be stuck with the Telus apps.

As of right now, I am not aware of any released Marshmallow updates for the Canadian versions of the Note 4 or S5. You can refer here for the latest available firmwares.

You note that you're not worried about modifying your phones because they are out of warranty. One word of caution if you do decide to root or flash your phone in the future. If not done properly, it could brick your phone making it unusable. There are many forums on customising phones. If interested, you should do some research into the process(es).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers