GPS and transfer data charge for my Nokia C6

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1

GPS and transfer data charge for my Nokia C6

Hi,

I just received my nokia C6. 3G with GPS and connectivity to internet via wifi or pact-data.

When I use my GPS without Wifi connectivity, I see a warning that it has to connect to internet. At the beginning, I am afraid of a costly charge oh using the internet via Fido.

So when I refuse the connection, I cannot get my position by GPS. And then before I answer Yes to the warning, I asked Fido to block my connection for internet. So, each time I answer Yes, the positioning of my GPS is working and I don't sea any charge from Fido for data transfer.

Is anybody can explain why? And will I get any charge when I use my GPS in US?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: GPS and transfer data charge for my Nokia C6

The C6 has a buildin GPS reciever, sorta like the ones you buy at Canadian tire. You do not require Internet to have it to work. GPS gets free signals from Satellites free of charge from NASA. *GO ASTRONAUTS* Though Internet connective does assist it's speed and positioning. Since you've asked Internet to be disabled on your C6 thru fido, your phone must be in still in AGPS mode(A stands for assist.) but fails to recieve data so it just goes a head and worked in normal mode anyways. alternatively you can just do this.  

To disable A-GPS: Menu => Applications => Location => Positioning => Positioning Methods => Disable "Assisted GPS"

(click on Assisted GPS => select disable)

once AGPS is disable you should not be recieve packets from fido. I have asked a fellow at fido call center regarding this and he was clueless, but as Jean have suggested, keep an eye on it. I don't want to be accountable if you get charged. 

I will go to the store today and pick up this phone as a cheapo GPS as i'm travelling across the country and i'm already with fido. I have another Made in China phone with GPS that doesn't have AGPS. it works fine no charges, except i can't get a good map for North America. so i'm dishing out the 50 for that. I'll probably sell it after the trip and stick back to my cheapo made in china phone with wifi, gps, flash for video streaming and the works for less than $60 with shipping. Wish me luck at the store. They really should be more defined on the site, and have folks who know their phones to work the phones.  

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi ciel,

GPS does use data, especially if it specifically prompts you. You may have some sort of unlimited data for the firsts months if you just signed up. I would recommend keeping an eye on data charges if you keep using it. You should be able to get some clarifications regarding your account at 1-888-481-FIDO.

If you use GPS in the US you would be considered roaming, unless you have some sort of international plan you will get charged (more than usual due to roaming).

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2
Solution

The C6 has a buildin GPS reciever, sorta like the ones you buy at Canadian tire. You do not require Internet to have it to work. GPS gets free signals from Satellites free of charge from NASA. *GO ASTRONAUTS* Though Internet connective does assist it's speed and positioning. Since you've asked Internet to be disabled on your C6 thru fido, your phone must be in still in AGPS mode(A stands for assist.) but fails to recieve data so it just goes a head and worked in normal mode anyways. alternatively you can just do this.  

To disable A-GPS: Menu => Applications => Location => Positioning => Positioning Methods => Disable "Assisted GPS"

(click on Assisted GPS => select disable)

once AGPS is disable you should not be recieve packets from fido. I have asked a fellow at fido call center regarding this and he was clueless, but as Jean have suggested, keep an eye on it. I don't want to be accountable if you get charged. 

I will go to the store today and pick up this phone as a cheapo GPS as i'm travelling across the country and i'm already with fido. I have another Made in China phone with GPS that doesn't have AGPS. it works fine no charges, except i can't get a good map for North America. so i'm dishing out the 50 for that. I'll probably sell it after the trip and stick back to my cheapo made in china phone with wifi, gps, flash for video streaming and the works for less than $60 with shipping. Wish me luck at the store. They really should be more defined on the site, and have folks who know their phones to work the phones.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted

is there a dislike button?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi Ciel,

Being a Nokia fan myself, an interesting feature is that you can preload maps on to your MicroSD card and be able to use the (free) GPS signals without leeching on Fido's data network. To back yourself up, you may want to turn off AGPS like blo described. Simply visit www.nokia.com (or www.ovi.com ) for further information.

Hope it helps.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted

Thanks for know-how, i'm uploading maps, disabling the AGPS app and go for a walk.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 6