Fidodollars redemption for prepaid being phased out?

SOLVED
byebyedoggy
I'm a Participant Level 3

I am a prepaid customer. I recieved a text message last week saying that the redemption of fidodolalrs for airtime was being phased out and the fido was very sorry they had to do that (they don't have to, they just want to make more money, but anyways).

Firstly, is this correct? I think the date they gave is novemeber 2015. And secondly what is the last date that i can redeem fido dollars for prepaid airtime? I have 100+ fido dollars, would I be able to get a yearly prepaid that doesnt expire for another year?

Kind of annoying as first you jack the per minute rates and now you are phasing out fido dollars and making them even more useless. Its almost like fido does not want prepaid customers. You are certainly trying to drive me away I feel. I have been a customer for like 13 years.

please let me know.

Accepted Solution

Re: Fidodollars redemption for prepaid being phased out?

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAlyson

Hi byebyedoggy,

Welcome to the community!

I wouldn't want you to feel like we want to drive you away! It's certainly not the case Smiley

You will keep on earning FidoDOLLARS until October 31st and you'll have until January 2016 to use them.

It you have enough, it's possible to buy a yearly voucher of $100, absolutely! You can also put the FidoDOLLARS towards a new phone and pay the difference only Smiley

Check it out over here

Hope this answers the question! 

View solution in context
11 REPLIES 11
lindam
I'm Helpful Level 2

What about monthly customers? Fido dollars have already been discontinued for us unless you have an older plan. I have ZERO interest in Spotify and Daily Vice. They will not keep me as a customer when it's time for me to get a new phone and I have think about nearly doubling my monthly payment because I neither need nor want ssrvices Fido offers, but have no choice but to have them.

Hey Lindam,

We have no words on it! If your plan earns FidoDOLLARS, nothing will change for you Smiley

shortnfrisky
I'm a Participant Level 2

I'm on a monthly plan (actually still on contract I think) but I no longer earn Fido Dollars. They stopped after October.  Does that mean my accumulated Fido Dollars will also expire at the end of January 2016 or will I still be able to use them after January?

FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Hi byebyedoggy,

Welcome to the community!

I wouldn't want you to feel like we want to drive you away! It's certainly not the case Smiley

You will keep on earning FidoDOLLARS until October 31st and you'll have until January 2016 to use them.

It you have enough, it's possible to buy a yearly voucher of $100, absolutely! You can also put the FidoDOLLARS towards a new phone and pay the difference only Smiley

Check it out over here

Hope this answers the question! 

byebyedoggy

So when I look in my "redeem fido dollars" section of the website, I do not see the yearly option. only 5, 10 , 15, and $20. How do i do it?

And secondly, how come I can't find any reference to the above dates online. Is there a press release or something? The fido rewards page (http://www.fido.ca/web/content/whyfido/fidodollars_prepaid&lang=en) has no mention of it. Which seems somewhat shady. It shouldn't just be silently whispered to people over text message. Major policy changes should have official annoucements. no?

Are you just getting rid of instant airtime conversion, or completely removing the ability to exchange fido dollars for airtime?

If i only have $102 fidodollars, and the $100 card+tax is like $115 can i pay the rest with cash ($13) or credit card somehow?

Hey byebyedoggy,

Sorry for the confusion. The maximum is a $20 refill with your FidoDOLLARS. But I can assure you that you can still use them to refill your account for now. To redeem your FidoDOLLARS, log in to your account on fido.ca & select Redeem FidoDollars.

byebyedoggy

All those options  only allow a fillup that lasts 1 month. correct?

That's right byebyedoggy,

Up to $30, the refills are valid for 30 days. A refill of $50 is valid for 60 days and a $100 refill is valid for a year. 

byebyedoggy

I found the notice in the text message:

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/webads/infofd&lang=en

www.fido.ca/infofd

"

Important Notice about the Fido REWARDS program

We are committed to delivering programs and services that meet our customers’ needs. In the past year, for example, we’ve introduced more monthly prepaid plans with lots of data included—up to 2GB.

After assessing our customers’ evolving needs, we have decided to discontinue the current Fido REWARDSTM program for prepaid service customers due to low participation, and to re-focus our efforts to create more value for you.

As a Fido REWARDS member you still have time to enjoy the benefits of the current program, and you will continue to earn FidoDOLLARSTM until October 31, 2015. You'll be able to redeem your FidoDOLLARS for rewards until January 31, 2016, after which time they will expire.

If you are currently enrolled in the Instant Airtime automatic redemption program, please note this program will also no longer be offered after January 31, 2016. If you have any questions please visit Contact us.

Thank you for your loyalty and your business.

"

too bad.... well i was going to switch to 7-11 when you upped the rates, i guess you just want to push people off your service now. It would be good to advertise these things, as I dont trust some random text message, but other than that what can i say

shortnfrisky
I'm a Participant Level 2

I'm not a prepaid Fido customer so I don't pretend to know anything about exchanging Fido Dollars for airtime.  I wonder whether you can exchange your $100+ Fido dollars for say ten $10 airtime cards(if such things exist)?  Then you could just apply one at a time as you need to top up ... in that way you would still be set for maybe 10 more months.

Hey shortnfrisky

Unlike Prepaid, you can keep the FidoDollars earned & use them later on; these won't expire in January. 

So far, we have nothing else to announce regarding FidoDollars for existing Monthly (Postpaid) customers.

We’ll make sure to keep all our postpaid customers up to date with the latest news, if anything changes 😃

Cheers!