FidoDollars are useless.

FidoDollars are useless.

FidoDollars are useless.

SOLVED
I'm Helpful Level 1

FidoDollars are useless.

The only things you can buy with FidoDollars are old ugly phones and options like call forwarding and evening start at 5.. I have an unlimited plan and a iPhone 4.. what can I do with those FidoDollars?

The only thing I would want to buy is a iPHONE CHARGER FOR CAR and there is no way to buy accessory like we use to be able to. This is complete . FIDO DOLLARS ARE USELESS

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: FidoDollars are useless.

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAmandaH

Hi AceFace,

You can view on this page : http://www.fido.ca/web/Fido.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=GCT_WhyFido&template=whyfido&pageLabel=WhyFido&sub_template=fidodollars_monthly&lang=en from travel packs, add-ons and towards a new phone)

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
52 REPLIES 52
I'm a Participant Level 3

BTW: You can spend them on a phone regardless of if you are taking an agreement or not.

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Fido ou d’une société de son groupe.
I'm Qualified Level 1

I can assure you that you CAN indeed buy a smartphone full price using your FidoDollars. I've had a client come in and buy an iPhone 4 32Gb full price using his FidoDollars. (He had thousands in FidoDollars)

You DON'T need to renew a three year contract to buy a smartphone using your FidoDollars regardless of what may be written.

I'm a Participant Level 1

Let's say I have $800 in FidoDollars and currently have no data option (I have an account for my mom and she only has a voice plan). Are you telling me that I can purchase an iPhone 4 outright?
I'm Qualified Level 1

Yes, I'm saying exactly that. There is no restriction that stops us from doing it and sales reps are not normally told otherwise.

As for the 800$ in FidoDollars, it is possible. Some people travel alot, have more then one line and some just rarely use their FidoDollars because they decide to upgrade to a phone that's at 0$ anyway.

Wicky, I think you need to check IQ again. It is pretty clear that FD require term data on the account, even if you buy it outright with FD.

Also, the customer will always pay a minimum $25 for the phone. Always. And that cannot be paid via FD.

Well, you can argue with me all you want. The fact remains that a sales rep is able to sell the phone full price using FidoDollars without a data term.

And technically speaking, the 25$ isn't for the phone itself, but a fee to change the phone on the account, which as you know, fees cannot be paid with FidoDollars.

@WickyLeBlond wrote:

Well, you can argue with me all you want. The fact remains that a sales rep is able to sell the phone full price using FidoDollars without a data term.

And technically speaking, the 25$ isn't for the phone itself, but a fee to change the phone on the account, which as you know, fees cannot be paid with FidoDollars.

There really is no argument. Yes, a sales rep could bend the rules and sell the phone at full price, paid entirely by Fido Dollars and not add a data term. There are a lot of things they can do if they choose to deviate from the rules and policy, even ones detailed in the IQ system. However, it is also possible (policy actually) that the back office team will add a data term to the customers account, if they catch the transaction. Audits are done for a reason. The sale reps could slip a few extra phones into the customer bag if they want, but that would be against the rules too.

Like I said, check IQ. Call the sales help desk. We both know what you will find. Maybe the into hasn't propagated to all stores yet, but the policy has been in place since summer 2009.

And if the $25 is a requirement to purchase/change the phone, it is for the phone. 

I'm an Expert Level 2

Let's take the information available from Fido Social Media here on the forums:

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/message-id/2220/FidoJudhy"You will need to have a 3 year term on your data option in order to be able to use your FidoDollars and to be able to have a 3 year term on a data option, you will require to have a monthly plan of a minimum of $25." 07-25-2011 08:37 PM

Further, given the requirement of a $25 voice plan in order to be eligible for term data, it could be argued that one needs both a $25 voice plan and a data contract. However, to my understanding, only the data requirement is actually enforced and will be enforced through back office/revenue assurance audits.

can you use fido dollars to pay your bill? or can you only use them to buy a new phone?
I'm a Participant Level 2

this would be very useful

@Going_Under: Just for the phone and for add-ons for a period of 1-2 months.

@10yearfido: No, and I don't disagree with what you're saying. It just remains a case by case situation.

I have to say that I find the whole "FidoDollars are useless" debate quite exhausting and would sometimes wish Fido just get rid of them. People are so spoiled that they can't appreciate what they have. Yes there are conditions to use the FidoDollars, but at least you have them. Fido could just as easily take them away and leave their clients with nothing just like the other providers. You'll be subject to the same conditions and fees as you are now, except you won't have FidoDollars to help with any part of it.

It's just frustrating. Kind of like making supper for someone just to have them complain that it's not exactly what they wanted after telling you that they agreed to what you were making.

Everything is based on supply and demand. Why did fido introduce FD in the 1st place? answer = to attract more customers.Once introduced they should not restrict on how the customer should use the FD from time to time. People get angry and frustrated.

I'm a Participant Level 3

ive been with fido for around 10 years and i remember when fido dollars could be used to purchase accessorys like phone charges and cases....  those were the days!!!

I'm an Expert Level 2

Actually, re-reading FidoJuhdy's post, it is clear you need both the $25 voice plan and the contract data. 

I'm an Expert Level 2

By the way, Wicky, I am not trying to pick an argument with you here. I know you always try to help. I am just trying to make sure the most accurate information is being provided, even if it conflicts with common practices at store level.

I'm an Expert Level 2

@chewy wrote:
Let's say I have $800 in FidoDollars and currently have no data option (I have an account for my mom and she only has a voice plan). Are you telling me that I can purchase an iPhone 4 outright?

If you can find someone that will bend the rules, you may be able. But, the rules, since 2009, say that you need to take a 2 or 3 year data contract.

On a side note, how long did it take you to spend $16,000 with Fido to accumulate the $800 in FD?

I'm Qualified Level 3

FidoDollars are a bonus, a perk. All the other cell phone providers don't give you bonus dollars to spend so be grateful for what you're getting. Fido isn't obligated to give you FidoDollars. However, I do agree that the terms for spending your FidoDollars are a bit restricting, but I'm happy to at least get these dollars. My last two carriers (Koodo & Virgin Mobile) didn't offer me anything like this.

I'm an Expert Level 2

Why should one be grateful? They are literally worthless until and unless you sign a renew contract and even then are are worth $25 less than accumulated value because of the new fee. Your old carrier didn't give koodo dollars, but the give unlimited long distance in their plans... That is actual, measurable value.

I am not saying they are bad. I just disagree with the suggestion they are free. They are not. They cost to collect and to redeem. What part of that is free?
I'm a Participant Level 2

This is simply untrue.

I had $60 fido dollars last month and used them in my outright purchase of an Xperia Pro and was not required to sign any kind of contract.

So my Xperia cost me $60 less than retail.

@agoldenberg wrote:

This is simply untrue.

I had $60 fido dollars last month and used them in my outright purchase of an Xperia Pro and was not required to sign any kind of contract.

So my Xperia cost me $60 less than retail.

I should have been more clear. With SmartPhones you need a data contract. If you already have one, then they don't make you renew it. Only if your data contract has lapsed. Since the Xperia Pro is a smartphone, then yes, you have a data contract.

Saying that you need to renew to be able to use your FidoDollars is simply untrue. You can use your FidoDollars to buy a new phone outright, which could actually save you from renewing your contract.

Also, to add an option for a period for 1-2 months using FidoDollars does not require a renewal either (that would just be stupid actually.)

I don't disagree that removing possibilites such as buying options or paying your bill using FidoDollars doesn't suck, but people really have to stop complaining about them.

I'm in no way trying to defend Fido on this. I'm just tired of people complaining that you can't do what you want for something that Fido is GIVING YOU FOR FREE! No, you aren't paying extra to get FidoDollars. You're paying the same amount as with the other providers, only that you are receiving a credit towards your next phone. Also, before people start jumping on the "yeah, but I have to pay a 25$. They're totally trying to steal from me subject" just take the time to look around. Take for example Solo Mobile: You have to pay the phone in store, you have the 35$ fee and you don't get an extra credit because they don't have FidoDollars.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.