Fido sim card not detected in videotron galaxy s4

I'm a Participant Level 3 Nathan_Lapierre
I'm a Participant Level 3

Fido sim card not detected in videotron galaxy s4

Hi,

I got a sim card from Fido and the unlock code from Videotron to use my Videotron galaxy s4 on the Fido network. While the phone still reads the videotron sim card, it does not detect the Fido one. It makes me rule out my phone as having an issue. I also compared the two sim card and realize the chip of the Videotron is a little bigger. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that the phone cannot detect the sim card.

I should go to a Fido dealer, but that won't happen anytime this week. So meanwhile, is anyone having a clue as what I can do?

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido sim card not detected in videotron galaxy s4

Hello again,

Does your Videotron SIM still work? Apparently the SIM card not detected is rather common among the S4s; however, it may be related to something different in your situation. Here are a couple of the various solutions: here, here, and here. This site goes through some additional ways to try to resolve the issue. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 10
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

I would guess that the phone uses a micro SIM (like the one from Videotron), but your Fido SIM is a nano.

If that's the case, it makes prefect sense that the SIM would not be detected; the contacts are not likely to end up in the correct spot! Did you get a"multi size" SIM from Fido?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 10

Yeah, I got the "Multi Sim Card" like the one in the kink:

https://www.fido.ca/web/Fido.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=SmartCard&lang=en

but well, I guess it is indeed a nano (it detaches into the smaller piece) while the videotron does not.

I should try to go to the dealer and ask for a micro sim card

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 10
MVP
MVP

@Nathan_Lapierre wrote:

Yeah, I got the "Multi Sim Card" like the one in the kink:

https://www.fido.ca/web/Fido.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=SmartCard&lang=en

but well, I guess it is indeed a nano (it detaches into the smaller piece) while the videotron does not.

I should try to go to the dealer and ask for a micro sim card

Hello Nathan_Lapierre,

Welcome to the community!

The multi-SIM supports Regular, Micro and Nano formats, depending on what portion is removed. I'm not familiar with this particular multi-SIM. Some multi's would allow you to switch back and forth between sizes by putting the pieces back together. Is there any way you can place the nano portion back into the micro portion?

If you do go to get another SIM, chances are it will be another multi-SIM. When removing the SIM, make sure you retain the micro portion.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 10

I kept the micro sim size when inserting it. Would'nt make sense otherwise.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 10
MVP
MVP

@Nathan_Lapierre wrote:

I kept the micro sim size when inserting it. Would'nt make sense otherwise.

Hello again,

Okay... Does that mean it's working properly now?

Or did you mean the actual gold contacts when you said 'I also compared the two sim card and realize the chip of the Videotron is a little bigger' and 'I guess it is indeed a nano...'?

It's possible the area of the gold contacts on the SIM are slightly larger on a single-sized micro SIM. However, a multi-SIM should still work. Have you tried to fidget with the placement of the new SIM to see if there's a slightly better contact?

If you do go to try to get a single-sized SIM, there may not be any available anymore. Additionally, if you find one, it may not be LTE-capable.

Had you activated the SIM? If it's not activated, it might not get detected.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for the reply again,

When I said the chip is smaller, I refer to the "gold" part and not the platic around it. So I tought that since the gold part was smaller, I had a nano card. I jumped to ealry to conclusion.

The sim is also activated And I tried to fidget it (even tried harder today) with no results.

****New development:

I just remembered my old Motorola spice (a really **bleep**ty phone BTW) was in my desk drawer. I tried the sim card in it (regular size this time) and it woked. So it means the my sim card is working and the issue is specifically between my phone and the sim card. They somehow don't fit together.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 10
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@Nathan_Lapierre It sounds like your phone might not be unlocked I know you said you got the unlock code, how did you enter the code in the phone? Can you try a SIM from a different provider other that Videotron and Fido and see if it works.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 10
MVP
MVP
Solution

Hello again,

Does your Videotron SIM still work? Apparently the SIM card not detected is rather common among the S4s; however, it may be related to something different in your situation. Here are a couple of the various solutions: here, here, and here. This site goes through some additional ways to try to resolve the issue. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 10

Thank you very much, it's working!

But before, for the sake of other reader who might encounter the problem:

I though it was a separate issue from the "sim card not detected, the phone will restart" message I'm used to getting from time to time.

I also try the Sim card in my wife's galaxy s4 (they were bought together, same phone, same provider)

The Sim was working since the phone asked for the unlock code when I booted.

My phone also detected my videotron Sim card, although it does'nt work anymore.

So, the problem was not between Fido sim and any S4, but between Fido sim and my S4. So I was wondering how making better contact would work if other sim cards are detected. I tried it anyway.

The solution for me:  

I tried the piece of paper in the sim tray: no results (I left it there though).

I used the tips from the youtube video (3rd link it Cawtau post) and it worked

basically, I inserted a piece of foam earplug just above the sd card slot and put back the lid. 

The second link would also work since it is the same solution, but you need to unscrew the phone to have acces to the motherboard.

Once again, big Thanks to Cawtau

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 10