Fido service continue with Port out existing FIDO phone number

SOLVED
id4vip
I'm Helpful Level 1

Hi,

I need advice from FIDO customer service. if I have a phone line from FIDO & I want to continue FIDO service with same plan & term & services, but want to port out the existing phone number & replace that Fido line with new FIDO number, what is the easiest & cheapest way to perform this task,

End result I want to continue Fido service as it is with new FIDO phone number, but port out the existing FIDO line number to another provider,

thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido service continue with Port out existing FIDO phone number

Solved by Moderator

Hey id4vip, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.

Thank you to you as well @KAPABLE-K for your input on this.

I would just like to clarify that at the moment we do not have an exact process set-up for this kind of request. If your phone line is on contract, the actual agreement itself is attached to that number and it isn't possible to transfer the agreement and plan to a different phone number.

When you change phone numbers, your current number will be moved to a state of ``aging period of 60 days``, where it may not be available for that time. 

You would then have no guarantee to be able to get back that same number. 

Let us know if you were interested in using a new line on your account with one of our newer plans and we can send you a PM to help you set that up! Smiley 

View solution in context
14 REPLIES 14
id4vip
I'm Helpful Level 1

As per last discussion I port out that good number & Fido close down my that account. I am agree to pay the tab value.  So that chapter is closed.

Now I need again that service from FIDO. So I will very thank full to FIDO customer service if they help to re-initiate same service for me. It would be better if they help me to use FIDO service with least financial impact. Like reuse of OLD sim, not charging activation fee etc. as I always want to continue FIDO service but FIDO policy not allow me to do that. I am happy to use same service with same term & conditions if FIDO want with new/different number. Please advise me in this regards

thanks  

FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Hi @id4vip

We're not able to reactivate a line if the number was ported out. You'll need to activate a new line in a new account. Once that's active, you can bring over your number from another company if you'd like. 

As we'll need to activate a new line, you'll be charged the $15 activation fee and the $10 SIM card if you don't take a phone with your activation. 

Your old SIM is no longer functional as it was used on the old line. 

Let me know if that's something you'd like to do and I'll send you a PM to get started. 

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@id4vip That would be difficult because the porting is done with the new provider and once they port the number it will cancel the Fido line. 

What I suggest is this.

1. Open a new line with Fido 

2. Change the phone number on your existing line and that will make your old number become free

3. Get the agent to change the number on the new line and try to get back the old number then you can port it.

Hey id4vip, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.

Thank you to you as well @KAPABLE-K for your input on this.

I would just like to clarify that at the moment we do not have an exact process set-up for this kind of request. If your phone line is on contract, the actual agreement itself is attached to that number and it isn't possible to transfer the agreement and plan to a different phone number.

When you change phone numbers, your current number will be moved to a state of ``aging period of 60 days``, where it may not be available for that time. 

You would then have no guarantee to be able to get back that same number. 

Let us know if you were interested in using a new line on your account with one of our newer plans and we can send you a PM to help you set that up! Smiley 

id4vip
I'm Helpful Level 1

Tomorrow is the decision day for me. Finally I make a mind to port out that number to another provider. Which automatically cancel the FIDO line. I will forced to cancel my that better plan from Fido also Fido is going to lose one loyal customer. I wish Fido  reinstate my plan with new phone number. That plan is a current plan so nothing special in that plan. so if Fido reinstate my old line with new number it is win-win situation for me & also for Fido. As I will get my plan also Fido retain one customer.

thanks

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

@id4vip wrote:

Tomorrow is the decision day for me. Finally I make a mind to port out that number to another provider. Which automatically cancel the FIDO line. I will forced to cancel my that better plan from Fido also Fido is going to lose one loyal customer. I wish Fido  reinstate my plan with new phone number. That plan is a current plan so nothing special in that plan. so if Fido reinstate my old line with new number it is win-win situation for me & also for Fido. As I will get my plan also Fido retain one customer.

thanks

I fail to see what the problem is, here. The plan you had is a current one, so just open up a new line with the same plan! If you had a "Plus[something]" plan to subsidize your phone, you don't need to take it - take a BYOP plan instead (cheaper) and use your current Fido phone - unless that phone gets used by the new provider, of course.

By the way, if you were subsidizing your phone, you're aware that you'll have to pay the balance on your phone, right?

What's the difference between "my old line with a new number" and "a new line"?

Hey @id4vip.

We really hope that you decide to keep your services with us.

If you want to go over what was discussed previously, don't hesitate to let us know.

We will send you a PM to get this looked into Smiley 

id4vip
I'm Helpful Level 1

Thanks for your help,

If it is possible I want to proceed in this way,  you please help me  open a new phone line with same plan. then you swap the phone number of existing line with the new line.

means i will give you all information about my account you activate new line & post the new sim through postage.  Also on your side you switch/swap the numbers of both lines. Then I will port out the existing good number to another provider. With this way. My fido line will continue & number port out also finished.

if this thing possible please help me to proceed,

Hello Id4vip,

As explained above, it's not possible to proceed as you suggest.

If you get a new number for your existing line, your old number is not accessible for a period of 60 days. There is no guarantee that the other provider will be able to get that number for you after the 60 days.

If you have the other provider port out your number to to their network, your current line would have to be disconnected because it would not have a number associated with it anymore.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

id4vip
I'm Helpful Level 1

in FIDO end both line will going to active till good number accepted by another provider.

this time my old line is active & the new line will also active till the port out complete. i am ready to pay for both lines till transition competed.  so there is no question for 60 day waiting period

Hello again,

Are you suggesting opening new Fido line with your old number and then waiting for the other provider to port it over from that line?

Firstly, I do not know if that is even possible, but I do not understand your intentions. Your current plan will not be transferred to the new number so it would be same as getting a new plan. What is the benefit of opening a new Fido line just to port it over to another provider?

Cheers

id4vip
I'm Helpful Level 1

Hello Cawtau,

i have a TAB value of $200 still pending on my existing phone line for two year contract. So I do not want to close this line as I have to pay $200. My intention is after opening new BYOD line on my account & if Fido people help to swap the phone number of both lines. So after swapping my good phone number covered by a BYOD line. Then I will port out that good number to another provider. In whole this circle I am ready to pay for both lines and makes them active.  So in end I will continue with FIDO two year contract & port out my desired good number.  

Hello again,

Thank you for explaining, I now understand...

Unfortunately, it is not possible to swap numbers -- even on the same account (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

@id4vip Fido will not swap numbers between two existing Fido lines because the plan is attached to the number.