Fido number hacked?

Fido number hacked?

Fido number hacked?

SOLVED
si
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Fido number hacked?

I had an extremely upsetting experience yesterday with Fido, and I am now seriously worried that my phone number may be compromised, and Fido is doing NOTHING to re-assure me.
I have a prepaid Fido account, I only ever use my phone for emergencies, and I NEVER text message anyone. Yesterday, I saw that my account balance was $1.50 less than it was supposed to be. I checked the call history and text history on my phone and nothing showed up, I had to go to the Fido website to see that 2 text messages had been sent using my phone number. Again, I did NOT send these two text messages, and absolutely no one has access to my physical phone other than me. I called Fido customer service, and yes, they reimbursed me the $1.50, thank you, but they did not tell me what happened, was my phone number hacked? Is there a glitch in the Fido system? Why doesn't Fido investigate this? This is very serious, as my number was used by who-knows-who to send text messages, is this what they call spoofing? I had to ask Fido to disable text message sending option, just so I can be reassured that this will not happen again, and even though I don't ever text message anyone anyway, it bugs me that I have to resort to having my SMS sending capabilities blocked. Why doesn't Fido find out who sent these messages, and how they did so, since it wasn't me and it wasn't from my phone? I'm sure they can find out, and be able to see what these messages were. Why don't they do it? The Fido person I spoke to wasn't very helpful, telling me to call Nokia to check what's wrong with my phone!!!  I've had this same Nokia phone for 15 years now, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, Nokia is certainly not the source of this hijack, why doesn't Fido investigate? Again, no one ever uses my phone but me, and I ABSOLUTELY did NOT send these two text messages yesterday. Someone used my number to do so. Why doesn't Fido investigate?

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido number hacked?

Solved by Former Moderator FidoMaria

Hi @si!

I just want to clarify that it's not possible for someone to remotely use your phone number. For messages to be sent from your phone number, your SIM card must be in use and a number can't be activated on two separate SIM cards at the same time.

That said, I'll go ahead and send you a PM so we can take a closer look into your account. Talk to you soon!

View solution in context
25 REPLIES 25
si

I changed phones today, and guess what, I'm still being charged for text messages that neither I, nor my phone(s), are sending. Is there nothing you can do? One of the Fido representatives I spoke to yesterday did mention that something similar has been happening to another Fido client. What is going on?

FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Thanks for the update! I've replied to your PM! 

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

A 15 year old phone sounds like a Nokia 8890 to me. Also check if your GPRS (data) and WAP (what old phones use to go online) settings. 2 txt for $1.50 seen expensive unless sent as MMS.

I won't worry about only 2 message sent. Obama is NOT wiretapping your phone through the English Intelligence (sry for j/k). I'm thinking it could be as simple as a butt dial.

Simple electronics like phones are software written. They sometimes do fail, especially after long period of usage.  Remember Y2K? computers were working for decades until they hit that bug in 2000. 

If this is a continuing problem. Try switching phones as your first trail to resolve the issue, if the new phone is not sending random messages than we can isolate the issue to be the phone and not Fido.

You are a prime candaite to try the NEW NOKIA 3310! You might find this phone to your liking.

si

It is not a case of "butt-dialing", the phone sat on my desk at home all day yesterday, no one touched it, and no one could have possibly touched it. Besides, if it was a case of "butt-dialing", the text messages would have shown up on my call or text logs. They didn't. I had to go to the Fido website on my laptop to see what these charges were for.

FidoPierre
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @si

For confidentiality and security reasons we are unable to view the content of these messages. However, I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look at all the information we can gather about the messages that were charged. 

I'm sure we'll be able to get to the bottom of this for you!