Fido no longer supports LTE ?

SOLVED
duckbar
I'm a Participant Level 3

my phone starts losing signals with LTE since last week, it was working perfectly with LTE before.  The problem is gone when I use 4G connection.

However, Fido is trying to tell me that 4G has the same speed with LTE which is definitely not true ! I did a speed test, 4G has only 4 - 5MB/ sec comparing to over 20MB/sec with LTE.

I am thinking Fido is no longer has LTE and trying to push the customers to Rogers if we want to enjoy LTE

what a cheating company ! I will change to another company (Telus or Bell) once my contract is finished.

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido no longer supports LTE ?

Solved by Fido Employee Tru

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the delay. Yes we still do offer LTE. For the coverage area I invite you to look at the following map to make sure that you are within an LTE zone.   

@ duckbar: Are you still experiencing issues with connecting to LTE. If it’s the case, which kind of phone are you using? If it’s an unlocked phone, did you input the right settings within the phone (our settings can be found here)? Did you try to reboot the phone? And within your menu, is the phone is set to select the connection automatically or did you force it to choose LTE only?

Keep us posted!

View solution in context
24 REPLIES 24
Tru
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the delay. Yes we still do offer LTE. For the coverage area I invite you to look at the following map to make sure that you are within an LTE zone.   

@ duckbar: Are you still experiencing issues with connecting to LTE. If it’s the case, which kind of phone are you using? If it’s an unlocked phone, did you input the right settings within the phone (our settings can be found here)? Did you try to reboot the phone? And within your menu, is the phone is set to select the connection automatically or did you force it to choose LTE only?

Keep us posted!

Sam12345
I'm a Contributor Level 1

This is my second month with Fido bukt no LTE. No LTE at all times. 

The phone support 4G: FDD-LTE 2600 MHz band 7, exactly as per Fido.

All the settings are correct, verified with online support.

Rebooted, yes. Dozen times. 

No LTE.

No 4G.

Just E and EE for the internet.

DOOGEE F5

Would be nice to find a solution because bills have no discount because of undelivered service.

@Sam12345 wrote:

This is my second month with Fido bukt no LTE. No LTE at all times. 

The phone support 4G: FDD-LTE 2600 MHz band 7, exactly as per Fido.

All the settings are correct, verified with online support.

Rebooted, yes. Dozen times. 

No LTE.

No 4G.

Just E and EE for the internet.

DOOGEE F5

Would be nice to find a solution because bills have no discount because of undelivered service.

Hello Sam12345,

Welcome to the community!

Is this phone the one you have? If it is, then the phone would have both compatible bands/frequencies for 2G. Unfortunately, that phone does not have any bands/frequencies for '3G'. That's the reason you're not getting 4G or even 3G. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here

With regards to LTE, you are correct, that phone does have one compatible band/frequency, band 7 or 2600 MHz. While the phone would work on the LTE network, coverage depends on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. Not all of the towers use all of the bands/frequencies. You can get an idea of the bands/frequencies of your surrounding towers here.

Unfortunately, if your area does not have any cell towers which use band 7, then there's no solution which LTE will work on your phone in your area.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but I hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Sam12345

Hello MVP,

Thank you for taking time to answer. Yes, that's my phone.

My question is not about 2G - it works properly.

My question is not about 3G - I don't have it.

My phone support LTE 2600 Band 7.

LTE Fido provide all across GTA - Fido coverage map states it clear.

I don't have LTE at any time at any location from Osahawa to Burlington, from downtown Toronto to downtown Barrie. 

My question: what's the deal? 

BTW, based on the tower map from that link, I'm about 1200 meters from Rogers (700MHz, 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz, 2600MHz) tower.

And there are 4 2600 Rogers antennas within 3 km radius and ther are bunch all over the place.

Bottom line: I have a supporting Fido frequency phone, I have bunch of this specific frequences antennas around, my phone successfully recognize all these antennas and all the antennas. Yet no LTE. Who can solve it.

Hello again,

It sounds like your phone is able to see band 7 (2600 MHz) from the surrounding towers.

I understand you have verified your phone is using the correct APN, ltemobile.apn. Have you verified you have a LTE capable SIM? Do you have a LTE data plan?

Cheers

Sam12345

Hello.

1. At the booth I've inserted Fido SIM to verify the signal, it showed Fido. I purchased Fido SIM.

2. I've entered all proper APNs and stuff through Fido website.

3. I've traveled all around GTA but no LTE.

4. I went to the booth where the person verified all the entered info. Correct. The person gave me a tip to use data romaing, this may help. It didn't.

5. The person told me that all SIM cards sold nowadays _are_ LTE.

6. I called tech support and spent time verifying once again the settings. Tried ltemobile.apn as well. No change.

7. Now I'm here looking for known tricks and hacks and shmacks and sledge hammer.

------------

I didn't pull out SIM to verify physically.

_______

My plan has 1 gig data cap, whatever minutes and text - it is one of today's plans.

Appreciate your attention.

Sam12345

To follow up. 

I've purchased an internet stick branded Fido and attached an additionial plan which is mobile internet. In the end of the day I need internet, correct? Guess what, there is no LTE even close. It barely get 3G, not to speak about 4G and forget -- forget about LTE. 

Considering that my phone have LTE exclusively and Fido LTE seems to be a hoax, no wonder I have no interent more than 2G.

Hello again,

I understand your frustration. Have you tried to turn data roaming on? Some international phones think they are roaming even though they are using a local SIM. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Sam12345

Cawtau  MVP, thank you. I've posted previsouly that I tried roaming and it didn't help. However I find this statement ridiculous: LTE is an international standard. Regardless of what Japanese car "think" of Canadian roads it still perform accordingly to the speed limit.

@Sam12345 wrote:

Cawtau  MVP, thank you. I've posted previsouly that I tried roaming and it didn't help. However I find this statement ridiculous: LTE is an international standard. Regardless of what Japanese car "think" of Canadian roads it still perform accordingly to the speed limit.

Hello again,

Regardless of how ridiculous it might seem to you, it happens. For example, this community user had to turn on roaming data on for their Huawei Ascend Mate 7 before data would work (see here). **edit** Here's another example. In this case, the community member was able to 3G on their phone, but had to enable roaming data to get LTE.** There are other examples as well!!

Roaming has nothing to do with any international LTE standards -- LTE isn't even the issue. It has to do with phones being made for a intended market (or network) but getting used outside of that market (or on a different network). Most phones would use the SIM's network information to determine roaming status. However, with some phones, it's almost as if the home network or country information is somehow hard-wired in the phone. Outside of that network or country and the phone thinks it's roaming regardless of whether a local SIM is being used.

By the way, those Japanese cars are made specifically for use on North American roads...

Cheers

Sam12345

My phone works thoughout Russia and in Europe. It works thoughout US yet fail with Fido in GTA.

My guess is that Fido smarting up the restrictions. My phone comes unlocked and sold for the international market. It does not have "home" preference. It has a standard: LTE. Same as the car has standard: km/h regardless where it's done and for whom it's done. 

What for do I get on PM a link to disclose my social media stuff? How does that relevant?

If it comes to social media then I guess nothing can be done here. Social media in my eyes is like OpenMedia.ca and stuff to dweal why Fido don't provide LTE to the internatioanl standards. But as far as it's not there I am wondering at this forum what to do to make it work. 

Hello again,

@Sam12345 wrote:

My phone works thoughout Russia and in Europe. It works thoughout US yet fail with Fido in GTA.

Your phone works throughout Russian and Europe because that phone has more compatible bands/frequencies in those countries. The main LTE bands/frequencies in that part of the world are band 1 (2100 MHz), band 3 (1800 MHz), band 7 (2600 MHz), band 20 (800 MHz)... Your phone has all of those bands/frequencies to choose from. Additionally, your phone also has the compatible bands/frequencies for '3G'. Your phone would be fully compatible in that region.

Your phone likely works in the US because some of those carriers also use 800 MHz for their LTE.

Unfortunately, that phone is only compatible with one frequency in Canada, 2600 MHz. While the phone was only compatible with one frequency in the US as well, there are many factors which can affect cellular reception. In addition to proximity to the cellular towers, reception can also be reduced because of interference.

"While cell signal passes through the air with minimal trouble, every object it meets between the tower and your mobile device causes some degree of interference. Geographical elements, such as hills, mountains, and trees can cause major signal issues, as well as building materials, like metal siding, concrete, and wire mesh. Additionally, the increased use of energy efficient products, such as radiant barriers and window tinting, have contributed to the degree of cell phone reception problems in new homes." ~ taken from here.

The fact that you're not getting LTE with the internet stick leads me to think there may be interference issues in your area. Did you get the ZTE MF970 hotspot? I have asked to have the specifications of that device verified. I'll get back to you about this once the specifications have been confirmed.

@Sam12345 wrote:

...My phone comes unlocked and sold for the international market. It does not have "home" preference. It has a standard: LTE....

Your phone may have been sold to you as an international phone, however that label is misleading. Yes, that phone may be multi-national (Europe, Russia, Asia...), but it is not a true Worldwide compatible phone. If it were, then it would have included UMTS (WCDMA) 850 MHz and 1900 MHz (possibly even 1700/2100 MHz). There is a large portion of the World where that phone wouldn't even work on '3G' (see here).

Again, it has nothing to do with any international standard LTE. It's about compatible bands/frequencies and the ability of those signals to reach your phone.

Turning on roaming did not help for you. Fair enough. It was only a suggestion because it has helped some people. We're suggesting all we can to try to help your situation. I'm sure you don't want us to overlook something that could have solved your problem.

@Sam12345 wrote:

What for do I get on PM a link to disclose my social media stuff? How does that relevant?

If it comes to social media then I guess nothing can be done here. Social media in my eyes is like OpenMedia.ca and stuff to dweal why Fido don't provide LTE to the internatioanl standards. But as far as it's not there I am wondering at this forum what to do to make it work. 

The PM would allow the moderators to access your account information to see if there are any issues with your account or settings which may be the reason you're having troubles. The information requested is only to verify you are the account holder.

Cheers

Hello,

Since the title of this thread is Fido no longer supports LTE?, I thought I would confirm that Fido does indeed still support LTE.

Screenshot_2016-07-04-11-52-18.png

And yes, Fido/Rogers' LTE does conform to international standards. There are many community members (as well as users in the general public) who are currently using unlocked phones from abroad (Korea, China, Europe, Japan, etc) and able to use LTE without issue. 

While Fido/Rogers cannot guarrantee unlocked phones will work on the networks (or specifically LTE), they would likely work on the networks providing they have compatible bands/frequencies and those signals are able to reach the phones. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. Unfortunately, there may be the odd situation where an unlocked phone might not work on the networks even with compatible bands/frequencies.

Cheers

Sam12345

You write too much, you know.

Fido say that Fido provide LTE specific frequency, specific band. Bunch of towers that support this freequency surround me -- pretty much all of them. I got the phone that works on this frequency, this band. There is no LTE.

The answer: "Unfortunately, there may be the odd situation where an unlocked phone might not work on the networks even with compatible bands/frequencies."

Seriously?

@Sam12345 wrote:

You write too much, you know.

Hello again,

Fair enough. For you, I will not try to help anymore.

Good luck!

Cheers

Sam12345

I assume you can't help.

My phone have LTE 2600 band 7.

Fido offer LTE 2600 band 7.

Doesn't work. 

How to make it work.

Meanwhile in PM I'm getting the 4-th name that respond to someone else's quote and states that Fido don't support unlocked phones.

@Sam12345 wrote:

Meanwhile in PM I'm getting the 4-th name that respond to someone else's quote and states that Fido don't support unlocked phones...

Hello,

Just to clarify... Fido personnel (customer/technical service, moderators, etc) might not be able to offer support (ie assistance with troubleshooting problems) for unlocked phones. However, the Fido/Rogers' network does support (ie allow) the use of unlocked phones -- providing they are compatible.

Cheers

Did you try a Factory reset and then try to set it up again and see if it helps?

Sam12345

Hi 

Yes I did but same result. Max I get EDGE on 2G. Steady.

Also can't send MMS neither pictures nor long texts. Can't receive either. 

Spent time here digging throughout the forum looking for additional settings. Tried other Android forums. Tweaked different settings but only EE.

The phone has LTE Cat 4 2600 Mhz B7.

Also I have new question:
On the internet I see screenshots showing Preferred network type. It says:

LTE (Recommended)

3G

2G

But on my phone I dont' see LTE, only:

4G (recommended)

3G

2G

The screenshots you are seeing online is it for the same phone?

Can you take a screenshot of your APN settings so I can see please.

You are able to send MMS because you are not getting data on the phone.