Fido jacked up the prices of their Iphones including Iphone 5

Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3

Fido jacked up the prices of their Iphones including Iphone 5

So what's going on here? 

The Iphone 5s use to be something like $165. It was then reduced to $0 and now it is at $229.

The Iphone 6 is now at $265. What's with raising of the prices all of a sudden. Is Fido getting greedy? What a bunch of baloney.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3
I'm a Participant Level 3

Re: Fido jacked up the prices of their Iphones including Iphone 5

Fido didnt jack up the prices.  Apple has raised the cost of their devices, due to the falling Canadian Dollar, so Fido has had to adjust their prices to match.  Every carrier is doing this, not just Fido.  If you go on apple'e website, you can see the increases.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3

I thought that was taken into account many months ago.

But even so, the 5S was $0 and now it is at $229. Was the $0 a promotion for a limited time? So after the promotion, it went up to $229?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3

That's an extra $64 to compensate for the falling dollar ... i don't believe it.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

The american Apple site puts the 5S at US$649.

Assuming the canadian price was calculated on a US$1 = CAD$1.10 exchange rate (it was somewhere around that 6 months ago), that would put it at $713.

Rising the exchange rate to $1.25 puts the phone at $811.

That's almost an extra $100. Did you make the mistake of using the subsidized price to start with?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3

Zyx,

Yeah, I guess I based it on the subsidized price. Thanks for crunching the numbers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

The price of  iphone 5s with 2 year max has been indeed increased, like you noticed. 

But the price of iphone 5s with 2 year smart pp has been decreased, iphone5s was about 280$-275$ for smart plan, now it is 229$ which is same as max plan price, but you are going to save a lot on your monthly fee, b.e. the lowest smart pp starts from 40$/ month, instead of max pp starting from 80$/ month. Even for same service like unlimited canada ld, 1Gb data, the smart plan is 65$, and max plan is 85$. 

The price for the phone may vary at anytime without notice, so if you really want an iPhone5s, I suggest you to buy it with smart plan, which is really a good deal at this moment. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3

Adambest,

Thanks for the clarification. I am currently on a smart plan. I was not aware that the $229 Iphone 5 price was the same for an individual on a smart plan. I was under the assumption that the $229 price was only applicable for a Max plan. I have some options now. I was considering getting the Iphone 5s. Then selling it so I can use the funds to purchase a Blackberry. And stay on my current Fido plan for another 2 years. I hope that Fido will everntually carry Blackbery phones again. I am currently using a Z10 and no Android or Iphone can touch the Blackberry Hub on the Blackberry phones.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 8