Fido internet range

Ionlb
I'm a Participant Level 3

Fido internet range

9 REPLIES 9
FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey lonlb, 

Not sure what we can help you with! What's going on? 

Ionlb

I need to know how far is the modem range for Fido internet. For example, can the range reach from the basement of a two story home to the top floor, not main but top floor?

FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Ah I hear you! 

Alright so the modem has a powerful dual-band support with six high gain antennas for signal range, strength and speed. I can't give you specific numbers if that's what you're looking for but I can tell you the range is excellent. As you might know some materials in the walls/house can reduce the range. If so, you can always use your own personal router if the signal is not strong enough. 

Don't hesitate if you have other questions Smiley 

Ionlb

Thanks for replying Fido Ranya. So the wifi range is taken care of however, my real concern is how does the Fido home internet modem recieve the internet? Does it operate like a cell phone using cell towers, or does it get it through power-cable based internet feed?

I understand that it does not receive the internet through a standard telephone line, or via cable, and we need to place the modem in the basement, and are concerned about signal strength receiving the internet feed (not talking about wifi signal strength, we have this handled with a second router).

@Ionlb wrote:

Thanks for replying Fido Ranya. So the wifi range is taken care of however, my real concern is how does the Fido home internet modem recieve the internet? Does it operate like a cell phone using cell towers, or does it get it through power-cable based internet feed?

I understand that it does not receive the internet through a standard telephone line, or via cable, and we need to place the modem in the basement, and are concerned about signal strength receiving the internet feed (not talking about wifi signal strength, we have this handled with a second router).

Hello, Lonlb,

Welcome to the forums!

The modem does connect via cable. I understand your concern regarding the unit receiving signal in the basement, but the modem is not wireless in that sense. As long as you have a cable outlet in your basement, you should not have any issues.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Ionlb

Thanks Cawtau. Unfortunately we do not have cable. So we have no coax connector. So I therefore assume to use this modem, we need to get cable installed, even in not subscribed?

Is there another option for connecting it? perhaps Fido can install the cable?

Thanks

FidoRanya
Former Moderator

No worries, we can set that up for you Smiley

I'll send you a PM to make sure at 100% that it's possible in your area!

Talk to you soon.

FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Let me know if you have other questions lonlb! 

Ionlb

Hi guys, I'm looking into the Fido Internet but there's a lot of questions I have and can't find the answers to. How does the Fido home internet modem recieve the internet? Does it operate like a cell phone using cell towers, or does it get it through power-cable based internet feed?

** Moved post to  similar thread**