Fido dollars towards accessories?

SOLVED
KyleG
I'm a Participant Level 3

Question is in the topic, can you use your fido dollars for accessories like headphones or cases?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido dollars towards accessories?

Solved by I'm an Expert Level 2

Nope. You can use them to buy phones, if you take a contract (required $25 hardware fee can not be paid with them). You can use them to pay for a trial period for add-ons like caller id, for 2 months. Or if you are a prepaid customer you can use them to buy airtime.

View solution in context
17 REPLIES 17
eeyore
I'm a Participant Level 1

Question about FidoDollars - I am on a monthly plan with about $150 fido dollars. Can I add a new prepaid line under my account and use my fido dollars to pay towards the new SIM card and prepaid plans by the month? Thanks.
FidoMatt
Former Moderator

Hi Eeyore, 

You can get the SIM card for the prepaid service using the Fido Dollars, but you won't be able to purchase airtime with the Fido Dollars afterwards sicne they can't be transferred from one account to the other. 

Andre62

In other words Ihave a decent plan, I dont travel outside canada and do not need any extra addons, so FIDO DOLLARS SUCK!!

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

Here's another take on Fidodollars and my past experience.

I was a long time Fido user back when the Fidodollars sucked, I accumulated a lot of FD and for a while I thought I would leave Fido, spend it all on expensive accessories I don't really need and turned out  I didn't leave Fido after all. A few years later a great plan from Fido came out and I regreted having spent those FD's on phone batteries where instead I could reduce my phone subsidy further.

Case in point, I know FD sucks right now, but keep them and you will never know when you will be gratful in the future!

FidoUser12345

14 years with fido and yeah its pretty useless. Fido has lost a lot of good products and services.

Hey Andre62,

If anything were to happen to your phone or you decide to upgrade later on, FidoDOLLARS™ come in real handy Smiley

Rhttttttttt
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Like waiting over 90 days to buy an iPhone and based on math it may take over 140 days. Yep that's really handy.
UnimpressedKen

Ressruction but worth it. I signed up October 14, 2011 and after a year I checked and accessories could be bought with Fido dollars, specifically for my iPhone. Now I discover you can not. This appears to have happened forever ago but I checked sometime in 2012 and it was available. Also I'm sure in my contract it said Fido reserved the right to do anything but that doesn't change the fact that when I signed my contract Fido dollars could be used for accessories. Once signed on the conditions changed, I second the bait and switch comment. I am switching over this (not to Rogers) Fool me once…

Purchasing accessories using FidoDollars hasn't been possible since March 2009, sorry

Godslight
I'm a Participant Level 2

So the fido dollars are virtually useless.  I overpaid for the service I was getting for over a year.  Instead of $39 without a tab at Rogers I was made to pay $67 at Fido.  Then over the phone someone tells me I could go to the fido store and buy accessories with my Fido dollars.  So I drive out there.  20km's away, I was told that for accessories it's cash only.  Serves me right.  I stayed with fido for like 5 years and earned $127 fido Dollars that I cannot use.  $28x60 is a depressing cost of stupidity.  I'm not gonna calculate it.

PS how much the fido dollars can take off your new phone is usually about the same discount Rogers is offering me.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

Nope. You can use them to buy phones, if you take a contract (required $25 hardware fee can not be paid with them). You can use them to pay for a trial period for add-ons like caller id, for 2 months. Or if you are a prepaid customer you can use them to buy airtime.

ren596
I'm Experienced Level 1

Using FIDO Dollars for accessories was stopped several years back. :mansad: :robotsad: Sad :womansad:

Ems

i just called Fido now. the rep i talked to said i can buy accessories using my fido dollars. is this still the case? i have switched carriers as fido couldnt give me a good deal. sad to say but i have been with fido as prepaid for over 10yrs. maybe i am just a prepaid customer that's why they couldnt give me a better deal when i was shopping for a monthly plan?? hope not.

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator

Hey Ems!

FidoDOLLARS™ cannot be used to pay for accessories. They may be used towards a phone, SIM card (call centre only) and some add-ons for a trial period of 1 or 2 months.

I hope this clarifies.

Mallory042887

Well that's dumb. I have a new phone now (courtosy of Fido Dollars) and still $400.00 worth of Fido Dollars.  I'm on a plan, so I can't use them for minutes.  Aside from getting some services "Free for a month"... what the hell am I supposed to do with them?

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

u may be able to use them for options such as text messaging, or call forwarding minutes or caller display? have u thought about that?
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@Paolo wrote:
u may be able to use them for options such as text messaging, or call forwarding minutes or caller display? have u thought about that?

Only for 2 months per option and only if it is a new option that doesn't already exist on your account. So if you have call forwarding you can't call and ask to have the call forwarding paid for with FD. If you don't have voicemail, you can call and have it added and paid for two months with Fido dollars. It would be almost impossible to burn through $400 in fido dollars by adding options for two months at a time and in most cases would be a waste unless you actually wanted/needed those services.