Fido doesn't want you to have Marshmallow apparently

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

Earlier I posted simple instructions for anyone who wishes to forego waiting on Rogers/Fido for the OTA update of Android 6.0.1  My method required no rooting, no custom roms, no hacking, and is completely safe and doesn't violate Fido warranty. However the mods feel it's too much information for us sorry S6 users to digest and they deleted the post. Anyway I"m enjoying Android 6.0.1 myself. Sorry, I tried to help but FIdo wants you to wait for the official release. Me, I"ll have to miss that party cuz I'm enjoying my Marshmallow as I type.

16 REPLIES 16
Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

Here is something I don't understand, what's so important on 6.0 that you need upgrade? any particuliar function?

I don't usually care much for OS upgrades, except for iOS 9.0 to 9.1/9.2? where Fido added support for WiFi calling to non North America phones.

@Wufai wrote:

Here is something I don't understand, what's so important on 6.0 that you need upgrade? any particuliar function?

I don't usually care much for OS upgrades, except for iOS 9.0 to 9.1/9.2? where Fido added support for WiFi calling to non North America phones.

@Wufai The two things that are important to me are the new Apps Permission and Doze.

With all the recent security issues we've seen as of late having all the new security patches is really not a bad thing considering the amount of data people have on their phones these days.

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

Since I already owned two devices already running 6.0 I knew the upgraded features like the ultra power saving mode not the mention the security updates were very desirable. My S6 security patch is now from Apr 2/2016 not Nov 2015 as it was previously. My S6 battery life is also improved on 6.0.1 and that alone was worth the few minutes it took to update from Lollipop. Trust me when Nougat is available on any Canadian carrier I'll be doing the exact same process and not waiting for the demigods at Fido/Rogers to tell me when I can get the precious update. 

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

BTW if anyone wants step by step instructions on how to do this send me a PM and I'll walk you through the very simple process. 

@Proac What is your process flash via odin?

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

No you need none of that stuff. Since I'm not allowed to tell you how in this forum simply google how to change CSC code Samsung Galaxy devices and you'll find the simple method I used
Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

Barebones explanation
Backup the phone via smart switch unless you don't care about wiping the phone clean
Change CSC code from Fido to Telus or Bell.. Install Marshmallow update.. Restore CSC code back to Fido
Restore all your apps and data via smart switch

Oh OK you just did the CSC change and got the OTA that will work but will wipe your phone. if you just odin the new firmware you get the update and retain all your data less work and faster. 

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

Odin requires a Windows based PC. I'm a Macophile. I don't do Windows.

10cc
I'm Helpful Level 1

@Wufai

Ate you serious? How about to get the benefit of the enhancements and security that the update brings. In many instances improved battery life and operation. This is not to mention security updates for which the Rogers version of this phone is 8 months behind.

I think on some round about way you are trying to defend a company that is dead last in providing and update that all North American providers has released.

If you don't care about updates then that is your position those of us that buy a premium phone like it to be current with security and OS updates.

It is poor services so do not defend by making it seem the update is no big deal.
10cc
I'm Helpful Level 1

I don't think it was deleted it was moved.
I know the procedure you mention I am trying to avoid going that route. When you do this you will not get any OTA upgrades again no security patches etc, but since Fido has not released one since November maybe that is no real concern.

Two days ago I ported out my number for my other BYOD account and looking for ways out this contract.

I seriously think they are not doing this update and waiting to announce the same and bracing for the feedback.
Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

My post was hidden not moved. Hidden is no different then deleted in my opinion
Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

Since you restore the CSC back to Fido there's no reason you won't receive timely updates OTA. Sorry to use timely updates and Fido in the same sentence. My security patch is now from Apr2/2016 not Nov 2015 like before. That alone is worth the effort to upgrade yourself

@Proac April security patch? You are behind mine is June I used the Bell firmware.

10cc
I'm Helpful Level 1

Oh, you will still get the updates? I heard that would not be the case. If this is true I will do it. However if I have to resort to this it changes nothing, I still want out this contract.
FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Hey @Proac!

We've moved your post as it might be risky for a non-tech savvy person to play that deep into the settings of their phones.

We don't want to risk anyone bricking their phone.