Fido Travel Pack

Fido Travel Pack

Fido Travel Pack

SOLVED
Winny
I'm a Participant Level 2

Fido Travel Pack

I just purchased a fido travel pack for my impending trip to the US next month, I am curious to know if roaming fees will also be charged for having my phone turned on during my trip (I will not be using internet or data)? 

Update: 

I just received an e-mail from fido with their account change information which advises that "Substantial roaming charges may be incurred if your device is taken outside the Fido network even if no services are intentionally used." What does that mean? Is there any point to purchasing a travel pack besides having cheaper airtime in the US. To avoid an extremely large phone bill should my phone be turned off until I intend to use it for a call or to check my messages?

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Travel Pack

Solved by Former Moderator FidoMegan

Hi @Community! 

With Fido Roam, I thought this thread needed a little update. Smiley 

To confirm, you will not be charged any roaming fees if you do not use your phone while traveling outside of Canada. However, make sure to keep data roaming off in the phone data settings to avoid any accidental data usage.

If you plan on using your phone while traveling, we have two options: 

If you have a Pulse plan, you've got Fido Roam and you're automatically covered! Click here to find out more about this awesome service! If you're not sure if you have a Pulse plan or not you can text ROAM to 222 to find out. 

If you don't have a Pulse plan or you're travelling to a destination not covered by Fido Roam, no need to worry as we have travel packs! Click here for details on that! 

Hope this helps! 

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Hi @Community! 

With Fido Roam, I thought this thread needed a little update. Smiley 

To confirm, you will not be charged any roaming fees if you do not use your phone while traveling outside of Canada. However, make sure to keep data roaming off in the phone data settings to avoid any accidental data usage.

If you plan on using your phone while traveling, we have two options: 

If you have a Pulse plan, you've got Fido Roam and you're automatically covered! Click here to find out more about this awesome service! If you're not sure if you have a Pulse plan or not you can text ROAM to 222 to find out. 

If you don't have a Pulse plan or you're travelling to a destination not covered by Fido Roam, no need to worry as we have travel packs! Click here for details on that! 

Hope this helps! 

Amanda1
Fido Employee

@Winny wrote:

I just purchased a fido travel pack for my impending trip to the US next month, I am curious to know if roaming fees will also be charged for having my phone turned on during my trip (I will not be using internet or data)? 

Update: 

I just received an e-mail from fido with their account change information which advises that "Substantial roaming charges may be incurred if your device is taken outside the Fido network even if no services are intentionally used." What does that mean? Is there any point to purchasing a travel pack besides having cheaper airtime in the US. To avoid an extremely large phone bill should my phone be turned off until I intend to use it for a call or to check my messages?

Hey Everyone! 

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to to provide some updated information. Smiley You will not be charged any additional fees for roaming just for having your phone on. Roaming charges are only applicable for usage (voice, text, data, etc.) performed while outside of Canada. If you have added a travel pack to cover the services you intend to use then the only possibility of additional charges would be for overusage.

It is also important to remember to leave data roaming off in the network settings on your device if you do not intend to use data while roaming. 

If you do use data while roaming, without a travel pack which includes this service, the pay-per-use rate is now $7.99 per 50 MB used per 24 hour period. 

I hope this helps!

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

@Winny wrote:

Update: 

There are different types of travel packs available, basically voice, SMS and data. If you get a travel pack for calls, it will do nothing to help you reduce gigantic roaming charges. You could opt to also get a data travel pack. Some will give you a set amount of data for a set price and others let you pay a fee to gain access to a lower per MB price while away. 

Personally, I would consider buying an unlocked phone and getting a prepaid plan from a US carrier or picking up a prepaid phone and plan package in the US. Roaming rates from Fido are incredibly high and are padded to about 90% profit, so the value proposition is very weak. 

If you will bring your phone to the US with just a voice roaming travel pack, then depending on your phone, find out how to disable data entirely (or just disable data roaming). That way you will not use nor pay for any data while in the US. If you use Fido's currently posted US roaming rates of $0.03/KB, you are looking at roughly $30 for every MB. On a smartphone, it is very easy to use 10-20MB/data with very little usage. You could very easily achieve a bill greater than most mortgage payments in just a few days. Compare that to a competitor that now charges $1.50/MB. That is 20x less (or 95% cheaper) than Fido. You can pay Fido for a data travel pack which reduces the rate to $1/MB, but requires a $10 fee to access those rates.

Just disable data. 

Winny

Thank you both for the detailed and thoughtful answers.

Dhairya

I think you still get charged roaming fees even if you purchase a travel pack. I went to Europe last year for 5 weeks, purchased a travel pack, and had my phone on for the duration of the trip- that was a bad idea! The amount I paid for roaming actually covered another flight from Canada to the UK. If you really need to use your phone while travelling, consider purchasing a SIM card from the US. The other solution would be to keep your phone off and only use it when needed.