Fido Store refuses outright purchase on a BYOD plan

SOLVED
jonathanrb
I'm a Participant Level 3

After work today I showed up at the nearest Fido Store to buy a new phone to replace my aging Galaxy S5, which is by the way the one located within the Centre Laval (QC) shopping center (store #430).

Now, I want to emphasize that it is indeed a Fido-branded Store and not an authorized dealer. But even then, I wasn't expecting to hit a wall, so to speak.

Here's in short how it went :
- Tell the lady I'm a current Fido customer looking to upgrade his phone.
- She asks me my cell phone number and postal code + ID to access my account.
- While doing so, she asks me what phone exactly I had been looking at, if any, and I tell her a "black Galaxy S7 Edge". She then says, literally (but in French) : "Great! I know I have at least one in stock"
- Once she has access to my account and sees my plan (currently on a BYOD one), she tells me I'll have to choose between a Plus 20 or some others to add to my plan and shows me a comparison sheet they have.
- I immediately tell that I'm here to purchase the phone outright (in full) and leave with it tonight. That I am on a BYOD plan that I don't want to touch.

She tells me she can't sell me the phone. She then starts talking about the fact that the phone is locked, etc. but I assure her that I'm not looking to change provider (again telling her I have a pretty good BYOD plan I intend to keep), or even for that matter to have it unlocked. For about 2 minutes I ask questions to understand why it is so while inquirying about what other choice I might have (...Samsung store -Not really, no; -Kijiji/eBay -No, I'm looking for a brand new phone, etc.)

She says the *only* thing she can do is to upgrade my plan, have the balance of the phone's price put on my next bill and then in 3-months time I'm to cancel that new plan, with the additional fees that go with it. About purchasing the phone outright? She says flatly: sorry but no. Not here.

So the next thing I do is call Fido Support to see I they could direct me to another store which do sell them at full price so I keep my existing plan (spoke to a fine lady called Samira). After confirming it really was a Fido Store I went to, she tells me she doesn't understand. She doesn't understand why the Fido Store refused to sell me my next device on the basis that I wanted to keep my plan as it is; that it should *not* be so.

So what gives? Hearing that made me quite disappointed. I frankly find it quite ordinary that they would only serve me if I was a new customer, or an existing one looking to upgrade one's plan. I understand Best Buy and others can't, but any Fido Store?

So, can a Fido Store really refuse to upgrade your device if you won't upgrade your plan? If so, then where can I go to buy my next device if it's not possible at Fido Stores?

Thanks in advance. I'll be waiting for a follow-up on this.

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Store refuses outright purchase on a BYOD plan

Solved by I'm a Participant Level 3 jonathanrb

Hi, thanks for replying.

Just to mention something first and foremost, I consider my case settled; I'll probably purchase the device through Fido's website.

I called another Fido Store (like the Fido's rep over the phone advised me, so I don't go somewhere else for nothing again). I guess my initial shock had subsided because I took the opportunity to ask more questions. So, at that other Fido Store, the only phones they sell outright she told me are the LG K4 and the flip phones; basically, she says all phones over 200,00 $ they "sell" (i.e. with which a subscriber can leave) must go with a plan, either upgraded or resigned.

I'm willing to understand that Fido Stores, maybe not too diffently than Authorized Fido Dealers, don't currently operate in a structure that promotes or allows, ethically or not, sales when no plan re-ups are involved. But then again, even if they're not really supposed to tell me no when I want to buy a new phone on a BYOD plan, I can't exactly force them to, either.

Again, thanks for your time.

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@jonathanrb Sorry to hear about the issue you had at that Fido location, I know that's not the kind of experience Fido would want customers to have. The lady needs some coaching and hopefully a Fido rep here can take care of that. 

She should have sold you the phone but the problem with some of those store reps is if they sell you the phone outright they make nothing that's why she wanted you to change your plan it was unethically on her part.

jonathanrb
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi, thanks for replying.

Just to mention something first and foremost, I consider my case settled; I'll probably purchase the device through Fido's website.

I called another Fido Store (like the Fido's rep over the phone advised me, so I don't go somewhere else for nothing again). I guess my initial shock had subsided because I took the opportunity to ask more questions. So, at that other Fido Store, the only phones they sell outright she told me are the LG K4 and the flip phones; basically, she says all phones over 200,00 $ they "sell" (i.e. with which a subscriber can leave) must go with a plan, either upgraded or resigned.

I'm willing to understand that Fido Stores, maybe not too diffently than Authorized Fido Dealers, don't currently operate in a structure that promotes or allows, ethically or not, sales when no plan re-ups are involved. But then again, even if they're not really supposed to tell me no when I want to buy a new phone on a BYOD plan, I can't exactly force them to, either.

Again, thanks for your time.