Fido Sim Card in a Rogers Phone

SOLVED
ENazal1
I'm a Participant Level 2

I was planning to get the Samsung Note 4, however it is locked to the rogers network. The guy at the Samsung store told me I could still use the phone with my Fido SIM card without any issues or even having to unlock it. Is this correct or is he lying to me to make his commission?

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Sim Card in a Rogers Phone

Solved by I'm Experienced Level 2

I know that some phone models that are shared between both brands (Rogers Wireless and Fido) can be locked to both networks at the same time. Seeing the Galaxy Note 4 is not offered by Fido, I doubt it would work with a Fido SIM without being unlocked first. It may, but I doubt it.

If you can, try your Fido SIM before purchasing the phone and make a quick phone call or text message.

View solution in context
12 REPLIES 12
h2lam
I'm a Participant Level 1

I just called Fido regarding if I were to buy the Samsung Note 5 locked to Rogers, can I use it with Fido. They said all phones locked to Rogers, you need to unlock it for it to work with Fido. So I will have to go and unlock the Note 5 phone when I buy it for it to work with Fido or anyone. Unlocking a phone actually works out better as I can use it while I am travelling to another country and use local sim card too Smiley

ENazal1
I'm a Participant Level 2

I will try that out. Thanks!
Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

Huh? It should work just fine without unlocking. Rogers/Fido or Telùs/Koodo or Bell/Virgin. The budget carrier sims work in the parent companies devices
credmau5
I'm Experienced Level 3

That has not been true, Fido and Rogers still run separate network codes and each brands' sim cards have historically been locked to one of those codes, not both, and a LOT of phones do not work across the two brands. However, that has just recently changed for most devices, and I can tell you for a fact that all Samsungs are locked to BOTH network codes, not just one or the other. Remember, Fido is not just some second brand created by Rogers, it was a totally separate network purchased by Rogers Communications (not Rogers Wireless) and is run separately on the same towers. Koodo and Virgin do NOT use separate network codes from their parent companies, they are just brand names for Telus/Bell. Therefore they have always had cross-compatibility with devices. Basically the same sim cards with different logos. Cheers.
itsy_bunny

@credmau5 wrote:
That has not been true, Fido and Rogers still run separate network codes and each brands' sim cards have historically been locked to one of those codes, not both, and a LOT of phones do not work across the two brands. However, that has just recently changed for most devices, and I can tell you for a fact that all Samsungs are locked to BOTH network codes, not just one or the other. Remember, Fido is not just some second brand created by Rogers, it was a totally separate network purchased by Rogers Communications (not Rogers Wireless) and is run separately on the same towers. 

So would a Rogers Samsung Galaxy S5 work with my Fido Sim card? *fingers crossed*

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

eeeexactly,

Rogers sim start with 89-302-720...

and fido sim start with 89-302-370..

just because rogers buys up fido does not magically change the number assigned to fido sim card, they have to continue using the 89-302-370.   Bell, and solo and virgin operate differently...

ghostline

I purchased the Note 2 and Samsung Galaxy S4 from Rogers and used them with my Fido sim without unlocking. It worked fine.

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

some phones might not be locked from the factory, I remember hearing certain models of the note or nexus being one of those? I cant remember exactly, but its very possible.

stanvalp

i just put a new(unregistered) Fido sim in a new(locked?) Rogers galaxy s6. the phone promtly did a factory reset and changed itself into a Fido phone instead of a Rogers phone. this is based on apps, shortcuts and bookmarks present on the phone when i uncrated it. all  Rogers stuff and is now Fido stuff. that being said all of the personalizing that i had done went right out the window with the Rogers stuff. wife says sucks to be me then.

MissAristo

What about an iphone 6 locked to rogers with a fido sim card?

Hey MissAristo!

Welcome to the Community!

If your iPhone 6 is locked to Rogers then it will first need to be unlocked by Rogers to be able work on our network, with our SIM card. 

Hope this helps. Smiley

TheOrangeGuy
I'm Experienced Level 2

I know that some phone models that are shared between both brands (Rogers Wireless and Fido) can be locked to both networks at the same time. Seeing the Galaxy Note 4 is not offered by Fido, I doubt it would work with a Fido SIM without being unlocked first. It may, but I doubt it.

If you can, try your Fido SIM before purchasing the phone and make a quick phone call or text message.