Fido Roam

Fido Roam

Fido Roam

SOLVED
SkyKnight
I'm a Participant Level 2

Fido Roam

Hi,

I'm about to activate fido roam for a trip to india and have one question about the feature if anyone can help. 

I checked and can see that india is covered at 12/day. My question is..  if I make calls within india, will that be covered or will they count as long distance? Because the fido roam website seems to say that calls will be treated as if you are in Canada in which case any local call I make will be long distance. Is that the case?

Because I'm looking to be able to use my phone for both canadian and indian calls if that is possible.

Also if anyone from fido is looking, can you tell me which carrier do you have agreement with for roaming in india so that I can check coverage specific to my location of travel. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Roam

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello SkyKnight,

Welcome to the community!

There is no need to specifically activate Fido Roam. The service is already available to you. Any usage outside of Canada will automatically activate Fido Roam for the 24hr period.

With Fido Roam, calls back to Canada are included as are calls that are local to your destination. Calls within the country you're visiting are considered local. However, you should note that any usage gets deducted from your regular plan allottments. Some plans may not include unlimited calling.

All other calls will be treated as if you made them from Canada. For example, if you made a call to the UK from India, it would be treated like a call from Canada to the UK.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
8 REPLIES 8
patrickchan
I'm Experienced Level 1

if it was me,

i would use an Indian mobile sim card (call forward my fido # to India mobile sim card or use my facebook/socialmedia messaging people about my new overseas number)

Breeze_S
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi,

I have a question about Fido Roam's automatic activation on accounts using postpaid service. I use a Samsung which has "Data Roaming" set to Off, 365 days a year. A recent trip to the US, by which I sent one text back to Canada, activated the 7$, which I was billed for.

Both your site and everywhere in this Forum claims that the client must turn Data Roaming 'On'. So what could be happening here? How was this service available when the required phone feature was disabled? How many others are encountering this?

Hello Breeze_S,

The Data roaming setting on phones only affects data usage when roaming. It does not affect roaming voice and/or text message usage. There used to be a separate roaming setting which would have prevented all roaming, but that functionality was removed from Android a while back. I do not recall if iOS ever had a separate roaming setting.

Yes, data roaming does indeed need to be enabled for customers to be able use data while roaming. However, since devices no longer have any separate roaming settings, they will readily be available to roam on other networks for voice and text messaging. Note that the data within a MMS would be considered roaming data and therefore requires data roaming to be enabled.

@Cawtau wrote:... Any usage outside of Canada will automatically activate Fido Roam for the 24hr period.

The text message you sent would have been considered usage and therefore incurred the Fido Roam charge.

If you do not wish to allow your phone to roam when travelling, you might consider enabling the Airplane or Flight mode and then manually enabling Wifi when required.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Breeze_S
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi Cawtau,

I appreciate your reply and suggestion. It's possible I misunderstood what was previously posted, that one has to have enabled "Data Roaming" to even be able to access the FidoRoam feature. I was merely stating that the Data Roaming is in fact turned off on my device, so I didn't know how FidoRoam was activated. I understand I sent one text while in the US, however, I was expecting to pay just 0.75 for it.

You can't imagine the frustration in knowingly sending one measely message, then getting billed 7$ and being told "well, you used your phohne in the US". Yes we used the phone, but never authorized a 24h, 7$ charge. C'mon!

Also, suggesting one turns their phone off or goes on Airplane mode doesn't make sense in this day and age when we want to be reachable should there be an emergency. It's actually non-sense to consider. And, since incoming messages are supposed to be free, our family has fun sending us texts while we're in the States. I don't think it's right anyone whould deny themselves this because the mobile company feels it is justified to force just ONE, PRICEY, bordeline unreasonable travel feature to its clients. Oh, or pay-per-use!

Tell me, what possible reason could they have for getting rid of the 20$, 40$ and 80$ Travel Packs? Am certain there will not be proper justification from anyone in the Fido community about this.

Hey there @Breeze_S,

Just to let you know that we've replied to your other post here Smiley

Hope this helps.

FidoPierre

Hey @SkyKnight

Just to add on to Cawtau's response I would also want to point out that though your Fido ROAM features are active by default when you have a postpaid account, you'll still want to make sure you enable your data roaming on the phone itself to get access to your data. 

You can also make sure you're properly enrolled before heading out by texting ``Roam`` to 222. 

Also, your phone will be able to locate the available networks in it's vicinity while traveling. It will pick up on the strongest network nearby. If you would like to select a specific network, you can do a manual network search through your device's settings.

I hope this helps and that you have a good trip! Smiley 

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator

Hey @SkyKnight!

I just wanted to let you know that we saw your question about which carriers you can use in India, and, while I don't have the answer for you right now, it's something that we're looking into. 

We'll update this thread when we have more information. Smiley

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello SkyKnight,

There is no need to specifically activate Fido Roam. The service is already available to you. Any usage outside of Canada will automatically activate Fido Roam for the 24hr period.

With Fido Roam, calls back to Canada are included as are calls that are local to your destination. Calls within the country you're visiting are considered local. However, you should note that any usage gets deducted from your regular plan allottments. Some plans may not include unlimited calling.

All other calls will be treated as if you made them from Canada. For example, if you made a call to the UK from India, it would be treated like a call from Canada to the UK.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers