Fido Roam vs. Travel Packs

I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Fido Roam vs. Travel Packs

Hello, I need some clarification of the benefits of Fido Roam -- more specifically, the cost benefits. For example, if I travel to Italy for 2 weeks and want to use my phone there. I either have a Pulse plan (with Fido Roam) or have to purchase a Travel Pack if I have a Talk, Text & Data plan.

Total cost after 2 weeks:

• Fido Roam: $12 per day X 14 days = $168
  • Travel Pack: 40mb for $60 or 500mb for $95

If I go to Italy for 2 weeks and only want say 500mb, with Fido Roam, I am paying way more than the travel pack so I'm having difficulty understanding the cost benefit of Fido Roam. I understand Fido Roam can be cost effective for heavy voice/data users, but for casual users who only wants a modest amount of data while travelling, $168 for 2 weeks of usage is almost double of the travel pack price. Can you purchase a travel pack instead of using Fido Roam when you have a Pulse plan?

Fido Roam vs. Travel Pack Europe.png

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Roam vs. Travel Packs

Hey @nick67

If you have a Pulse plan, you can only use Fido Roam in a country where it's offered. If you're travelling in a country where Fido roam is not offered, you can then purchase a travel pack. You'll find the list of countries where Fido Roam is available here

Fido Roam lets you use your plan as if you were on the Fido network. This means that you don't have to worry about any additional roaming fees as you're using your plan as you would normally. Smiley

With Fido Roam, you also don't have to worry about adding anything to your account to use the line. All you have to do is use the phone. 

Also, Fido Roam is billed per 24 hours. If you start using your phone at 1PM, you'll be charged $12 for that day and can use it until the next day at 1PM. You'll only be charged for the days you use it. 

Hope that helps! 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Former Moderator FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Solution

Hey @nick67

If you have a Pulse plan, you can only use Fido Roam in a country where it's offered. If you're travelling in a country where Fido roam is not offered, you can then purchase a travel pack. You'll find the list of countries where Fido Roam is available here

Fido Roam lets you use your plan as if you were on the Fido network. This means that you don't have to worry about any additional roaming fees as you're using your plan as you would normally. Smiley

With Fido Roam, you also don't have to worry about adding anything to your account to use the line. All you have to do is use the phone. 

Also, Fido Roam is billed per 24 hours. If you start using your phone at 1PM, you'll be charged $12 for that day and can use it until the next day at 1PM. You'll only be charged for the days you use it. 

Hope that helps! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Fireram
I'm a Contributor Level 1

CHECK The date your leaving and returning,, If they both fall within ONE billing cycle, the plan is reasonable.

If your billing cycle resets while your abroad, you WILL sweat the bill....

Fido Roam is super convenient and very reasonable if you have the pulse plan to simply keep using your device if your just hoping across the boarder for a weekend, or even a week internationally. Beyond that, not so much.....

My wife went to the UK for 21 days, I received a bill for the first 11 days of her trip, $132.

Next month my bill will include the remaining 10 days of her trip and will be another $120.

That's and extra $72, over the $180 I had planned on...

She used less than 2 GB of data, less than 100 min of talk and less than 100 texts in the first half.

My bad for not reading the fine print, And I also didnt catch that internation was twice the cost of US roam.

Perhaps fido will feel pity on me ?

There was lots of free wifi in London, Scotland and Ireland

Next time, we will get a pre paid sim card once we arrive.

STAY CONNECTED ABROAD. DON’T SWEAT THE BILL.

Fido RoamTM won’t take a big bite out of your travel budget.

Have a Fido PulseTM plan? You’re automatically covered by Fido Roam.

Use your data, talk and text while travelling for a low daily price.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3