Fido Roam charge question

SOLVED
stephlyudmila
I'm a Participant Level 2

I'm using Fido Roam right now and I wanted to know if friends back in Canada incur any additional charges for texting me while I'm away? Like long-distance charges or anything? Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Roam charge question

Solved by I'm a Participant Level 3 Soljah

@stephlyudmila - Your friends in Canada will message your Fido number and will not be charged any additional fees. It will be as if you're in Canada for them and you.

For reference, please see: http://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/fido-roam-faq, then click on the first one, "What is Fido Roam?"

Enjoy your trip!

View solution in context
8 REPLIES 8
nismo1
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Hi stephyludmila, I went to that link, clicked on 'What is Fido Roam', and no where does it go into any details/facts stating that outgoing calls to a local number that's geographically outside of Canada on Fido Roam will be counted as a 'local' call. Nowhere at all unless I am completely overlooking something.

Hey @nismo1,

As per our Terms of Service, "Your “Outgoing Local Calling Area” is determined by your physical location. If you dial a number that is local to your physical location, then it is a local call.

If you dial a number that is long distance to your physical location, then it is a long distance call."

Therefore if you call a phone number that is local to your location, long distance charges will not apply even if the other number is roaming. 

I've also answered your other post Smiley

nismo1

@FidoClaudia Thank you for clarifying that. Much appreciated.

I wonder if there's any way that Fido head office can be notified to provide some CSRs proper training because it's alarming that 2 CSRs, back to back within the span of two hours, provided me with false information. They even told me that they 'checked with their managers' and even though it would be logical to 'assume that calling a local number that has traveled outside the local area on Fido Roam' should be a local call, it isn't. If I wasn't suspicious enough, I probably would have left it there and woud proceed to message my wife to call me everyday she is abroad in a Fido Roam supported country. 

Anyways, thanks for answering. I'll reference this post if Fido reps continue to state otherwise.

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

@nismo1 I'll definitely forward your feedback to the right team. Smiley Let me know if you need anything else!

Soljah
I'm a Participant Level 3

@stephlyudmila - Your friends in Canada will message your Fido number and will not be charged any additional fees. It will be as if you're in Canada for them and you.

For reference, please see: http://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/fido-roam-faq, then click on the first one, "What is Fido Roam?"

Enjoy your trip!

stephlyudmila
I'm a Participant Level 2

@Soljah - Thanks! How do the charges for voice calling work? I think I can call them but what happens if they call me?

@stephlyudmila if anyone from Canada calls or text you they will not incur any extra charges for calling or texting you.

nismo1

@KAPABLE-K I think the Fido CSRs are giving out false information to pplr. I called in on Jan 19, two Fido CSR's between 3-5pm confirmed otherwise. They said they needed to check with their managers and after a lengthy wait, they came back and told me that despite the fact that I'm calling a local number, I will still incur long-distance charges because that local number I am calling is 'out of the country'. I had already stated to them that we both have Fido Roam and unlimited Canada wide local calling. 

If this is not true, then the CSRs that gave me the wrong information need to be trained and the managers, who had passed on the information to their CSRs, need to have a serious chat with their bosses for giving out false information.