Fido Roam Travel to US

Fido Roam Travel to US

Fido Roam Travel to US

SOLVED
Joannekira
I'm a Participant Level 2

Fido Roam Travel to US

Hi,

Im going to US next week just want to make sure if Im the right track. I see that I'm currently in the Fido pulse plan, it says I'll be charged 5$/day, Am I set to go, or do I need to do anything to activate this?

And what is including in the plan while Im in US? How much can I use my text, calls and data with this $5/Day?

Thanks in advance.

***edited to add Labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Roam Travel to US

Solved by MVP MVP

@Joannekira Welcome to the community!

You are correct you will charge $5 a day for roaming in the US with your Fido pulse plan. What is included while you are roaming is whatever you plan has so you can use your phone just like how you would when in Canada and you will be charged $5 for every 24hrs period you are roaming. You are pretty much set to go you just have to make sure the roaming feature on your phone is enabled and you are set.

You can get full info here.

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Joannekira,

Welcome to the community!

You might consider trying to get an idea of the local mobile networks' coverage at your destination. Mobile phones roam on the existing infrastructure at the destination. Fido's service cannot extend beyond what is available locally. As this community member noted here, AT&T and T-Mobile's coverage at their destination was not impressive. 

I noted in that thread that it was the customers' responsibility to check whether their phones would work at their destination so it's only fair I mention it to you. I came across OpenSignal recently. They provide a more visual comparison of signal than the site I posted in the other thread. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information since it is crowd-sourced.

As noted in the other thread, Fido phones will unlikely work for voice/text on the Verizon network since they are CDMA-based rather than Fido/Rogers' GSM/UMTS-base. If you have an unlocked phone that does have CDMA frequencies, it may work on the Verizon network.

If your destination has adequate AT&T or T-Mobile network coverage, then your Fido phone should work without issue. However, if those networks do not adequately cover your destination(s), you might have to consider getting a temporary phone from Verizon.

Have a great trip and hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@Joannekira Welcome to the community!

You are correct you will charge $5 a day for roaming in the US with your Fido pulse plan. What is included while you are roaming is whatever you plan has so you can use your phone just like how you would when in Canada and you will be charged $5 for every 24hrs period you are roaming. You are pretty much set to go you just have to make sure the roaming feature on your phone is enabled and you are set.

You can get full info here.

Joannekira
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thank you for your help.
In addition to, if I just want to use Calls and texts only no need to enable any Roaming features on my phone?

Cheers.

Hello again,

Depending on your phone, there may be settings for enabling/disabling roaming (separate from roaming data). Some older versions of android and/or iOS -- as well as some non-smartphones -- may have that setting. The setting was removed in the newer versions of android. If your phone does have a separate roaming setting, then it would need to be enabled to roam on a different network.

You do not have to enable data roaming in order to send/receive SMS or make/receive voice calls. However, enabling roaming data is required for sending/receiving the data portion of MMS.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers