Fido Roam - Calling to a Local Number on Fido Roam in another Country - Long Distance or Not

Fido Roam - Calling to a Local Number on Fido Roam in another Country - Long Distance or Not

SOLVED
nismo1
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Hi Fido,

I have a question in regards to clarifying whether long distance charges apply for the caller who's calling a local number that's on fido roaming to another country.

Context:

Me and my wife both have Fido Roam on our local Vancouver numbers. We both have unlimited Canada Wide Calling and Data. My wife will be heading to Japan in a few days and to my understanding, the $10 a day will allow her to use her Vancouver number to call local numbers in Japan or to call back Canada, unlimted.. as if she was calling a local number in Vancouver. 

Question:

If I call her phone number, will it be counted as a local number as well or, would it be deemed a 'long distance' number? I assume that since her number is a local number, regardless of where she is, I would not be charged long distance. Also, it would be pretty bad business practice if a person didn't know and called a 'local number' just to find out that this person was on Fido Roam and out of the country, hence incurring long distance calls for a caller who simply assumed they were calling a 'local number'.

Ask:

I need to clarify this before her trip as I have no intention to incur any long distance charges. If long-distance charges count for me when I call her and she's in Japan, then I'll simply message her and have her call me. This would be a complete nuisance but still, one way around it. Of course, we have our apps that we can use but nothing really beats a straight up phone call.

Please let me know and since this is not stated on the Fido Roam detailed sheet, I suggest something be put up to clarify for people in the situation where they plan on calling a local number that's on Fido Roam and in another country. Sends off a very bad message as a 'cash grab'. 

Thank you

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Roam - Calling to a Local Number on Fido Roam in another Country - Long Distance or Not

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Nismo1,

nismo1 wrote:...the $10 a day will allow her to use her Vancouver number to call local numbers in Japan or to call back Canada, unlimted.. as if she was calling a local number in Vancouver. ...

Just to clarify, you are correct in thinking that if you are travelling with a Pulse plan, calls back to Canada are included in Fido Roam as are calls that are local to your destination. Calls within the country you're visiting are considered local. However, it should note that any usage gets deducted from her regular plan allottments. Some plans may not include unlimited calling.

To answer your question, if you call her Vancouver number while she is in Japan, it would still be considered a local call for yourself to call her.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
8 REPLIES 8
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Nismo1,

nismo1 wrote:...the $10 a day will allow her to use her Vancouver number to call local numbers in Japan or to call back Canada, unlimted.. as if she was calling a local number in Vancouver. ...

Just to clarify, you are correct in thinking that if you are travelling with a Pulse plan, calls back to Canada are included in Fido Roam as are calls that are local to your destination. Calls within the country you're visiting are considered local. However, it should note that any usage gets deducted from her regular plan allottments. Some plans may not include unlimited calling.

To answer your question, if you call her Vancouver number while she is in Japan, it would still be considered a local call for yourself to call her.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

nismo1

@FidoMegan can  you and another Fido rep please confirm as well? I had two Fido CSRs reps on the phone on Friday Jan 19 between 3-5 tell me otherwise. They said they checked with their managers/hamdbook etc and stated that if you call a local number that has Fido Roam and they had travelled with the phone outside of the local area, then your outgoing call would be LONG DISTANCE as if you had placed a 'long distance call', even though you are calling a local number. I was very suspicious about this because it didn't sound logical or make any business sense. If I could have 2 Fido reps kindly confirm what @Cawtau has just stated, that would be excellent.

Also, the details listed on Fido Roam is definitely not thorough.. I can't believe management 'okd' it for being posted in the first place. It's kind of obvious that callers who are Fido customers who want to call others travelling abroad on Fido Roam would like to know if that outgoing call being placed is roaming or not. It's definitely not a trivia question as two Fido CSRs are providing conflicting information/FALSE information in comparison to what Cawtau has stated.

Thank you very much

Hey @nismo1,

I can confirm that Cawtau's answer that has been marked as a solution is the correct answer. 

If you call your wife on her Vancouver phone number while she's roaming, it would be a local call for you as the system takes into consideration the actual number that is being dialed. Since you'd be placing a call from a Vancouver number to another Vancouver number, it would be local.

Hope this clarifies. 

nismo1

@FidoClaudia thank you very much Claudia! Really appreciate the confirmation from a Fido employee. I did speak with a CSR this morning regarding being mislead on Friday Jan 19th in regards to the long distance rate inquiry for a caller to a local number that's out of the country. That CSR who chatted with me today confirmed like and the MVPs here that there will definitely be ZERO roaming charges for the caller as long as the number is a local, regardless of the location of the phone attached to that local number. The CSR has put some notes in my account and hopefully that will be followed up with proper training so other CSRs will not misinform/mislead clients. The CSR was very disappointed with the ones I talked to in giving me false information, twice and I'm glad there's still people out there who holds Fido accountable.

Anyways, thanks a lot!

nismo1

HI Cawtau,

Thanks for the reply but now I'm a bit disappointed at Fido's CSR for giving me false information, twice. This is why I ended up posting on the forum to get something in writing and in additonal, to prompt Fido in ensuring that the specifics of how Fido Roam operates is listed on the company website. Otherwise, if people didn't know the EXACT stipulations in how Fido Roam works and they incurred long distance charges unintentionally, it would NOT LOOK GOOD for the company. It just looks like a sneaky cash grab.

The Fido CSRs, two of them each on separate calls on the same day, between 3-5pm on Friday January 19th, asked their managers / checked the specifics in Fido's handbook and gave me the same response:

If you call a local number that has Fido Roam and that local number, physically, is now outside of Canada, you as the caller WILL INCUR long distance charges. That's messed up.

From a business standpoint, I questioned the validity of what they said because it would be very bad business etiquette. For example if a caller, regardless on Fido or not, calls a 'local number' and that local number which has Fido Roam/Rogers Roam like Home, is now out of the country but picks up the call due to the benefits of having 'Roam', the unsuspected caller will suddenly incur long distance charges. That's just simply a cash grab. Hence, I posted here to get something in writing and hopefully, from a Fido employee.

Cawtau, thank you very much for clarifying and yes, both me and my wife have unlimited Canada Wide calling so it wouldn't count against her 'minutes' since that would not apply. I'm wondering if you could please point me in the right direction as to where I can find the information that stipulates that a caller who calls a local number that's on Fido Roam and out of the country WILL NOT incur long distance charges and that this will simply be counted as a 'local call' ? If not, is there any way to get Fido to post this on the website in addition to training their CSRs better so that they are not giving customers FALSE INFORMATION?

Thank you very much 😃    Hope you are right. 

nismo1

I need at least 1-2 Fido representatives to comment on this as the website does not have enough details on all angles on Fido Roam, specifically for callers who call a local number with Fido Roam that's out of the country and whether that is counted as long distance or not. I am hoping someone who works for Fido will post here as a paper trail in case I incur long distance charges by calling my wife who will be on Fido Roam in Japan. The Fido CSRs are claiming one thing while MVPs on this forum are claiming another so it's confusing which is which. It would make sense to me that if you called a local number and that number has Fido Roam but is out of the country, it would still be a LOCAL CALL but the Fido CSRs have make things uneasy with possible misinformation, TWICE.

In the future, if Fido's website can be updated to cover how Fido Roam works for callers who make a local call to a number with Fido Roam that's out of the country, specifying if LONG DISTANCE CHARGES will be incurred for the caller, that would be spectacular. 

Thank you

Hello again @nismo1,

Hopefully you've receive a little reassurance from the moderators here Wink

I neglected to mention earlier that your wife (or you) might consider verifying whether her phone has compatible bands/frequencies for Japan. When roaming, mobile providers use the local network infrastructure to provide service. Different parts of the World may use different bands and/or frequencies. You can verify the bands/frequencies used in Japan here.

In addition, you might also consider verifying whether the area she is travelling has adequate coverage. Again, her phone would be roaming on the local infrastructure. Fido cannot provide service where there is no existing network. You can get an idea of the local coverage here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

nismo1

@Cawtau thanks a lot. really appreciate that.

Yes indeed, she's got a Galaxy S7 and I'm a mobile engineer hehe.. I've unlocked the phone a while back and I did check the band frequencies on her specific phone to match the LTE in Tokyo, HK, Europe.. places that we could see ourselves travelling frequently. She'll be in Tokyo.. the edge of technology so I'm sure it will be fine as well as HK. Probably roaming will jump to docomo/KDDI/Softbank

Really do once again want to thank you for your reply. I also got off the phone with Fido today and they confirmed that the reps that talked to me we're giving me false information and the CSR was pretty upset about it lol.

Cheers  😃