Fido Per Minute Billing or Per Call Billing

pksingh
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I checked my bill ,never checked it before as I never exceeded my minutes.

What I noticed is if the calls starts at 4:59 PM and continues for 30 minutes,you are charged for 30 minutes not 1 minute.

Similarly,if call starts at 7:58 AM and continues for 40 minutes,you are charged for 0 minutes.

So,the plan should say per call billing instead of per minute billing.The only time take into consideration when does your call starts.

8 REPLIES 8
FidoFaiza

Hi @pksingh,

Billing by the minute means that if your call lasted 30 seconds, it will be rounded up to a minute and a minute will be deducted from your plan.

And your observation is correct: if a call initiated at 4:59 pm and lasted 30 minutes, it's 30 daytime minutes that will de deducted. That's why it'd be best to wait til 5 pm to make the call if you are watching your minutes Smiley

I hope this answers!

@FidoFaiza wrote:

And your observation is correct: if a call initiated at 4:59 pm and lasted 30 minutes, it's 30 daytime minutes that will de deducted. That's why it'd be best to wait til 5 pm to make the call if you are watching your minutes Smiley

Hello FidoFaiza,

I'm not sure I understand why that would be the case. If the plan includes unlimited minutes, evenings and weekends ie free after 5pm, why would the totality of the minutes during that call be deducted as daytime minutes if the majority (or some) of the minutes occurred after 5pm? True per-minute-billing should count that as 1 daytime minute and 29 evening minutes, no? 

pksingh wrote:

Similarly,if call starts at 7:58 AM and continues for 40 minutes,you are charged for 0 minutes.

In a similar vein, shouldn't true per-minute-billing count that as 2 evening minutes and 38 daytime minutes?

So far, I haven't found any stipulations regarding daytime/evening minutes depending on when you started the call. Is that the way it's supposed to work? Is it a glitch? I can't imagine that's the way the system was designed. In theory, couldn't one make free multi-hour daytime calls starting at 7:59 AM?!?

Additionally, I had the understanding that calls lasting less than 30 seconds would also be rounded up to the nearest minute. For example, 3:02 would be rounded to 4 minutes. Am I mistaken? I'm pretty sure my calls to answering machines -- where I have not left any messages -- have counted as full minutes...

Clarification would be greatly appreciated Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @Cawtau, sorry for the delayed response (we're pretty swamped!)

If the call starts outside of the unlimited calling period, the totallity of minutes used will be counted as daytime minutes. Similarly, if you start a call during the unlimited minutes period and it ends outside of the period, they will all be counted as if they were used during the unlimited period.

In regards to the minutes, they are indeed rounded up to the next minute.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Smiley

pksingh

This is not what has been advertised when someone signs up for limited minutes plan.

I cannot say but definately many people must have paid for extra minutes due to glitch in the system or incorrect advsertising.

Either the plan should display the conditions that your are mentioning in the email or customers are getting billed more in some cases for error in the Fido system.

Hey @pksingh

I understand where you're coming from. This isn't a glitch though, it's simply how our billing system works.

Thanks for your suggestion, we'll be sure to pass it along to the right team.

pksingh

So ,we can say Fido does not have per minute billing.

They only calculate the difference between the start of the call and end of the call.

So,it is a per call billing.

pksingh

It does not solve it.

If you recieve a call for a job interview you cannot tell  call after 5:00 PM.

Also,no where in the Fido plans it states that calls orginating or ending after 5:00 PM will be free.

It look a plan from the Fido website and the details it shows are

100 local minutes9 unlimited messaging4

Features

Local minutes
Unlimited evenings & weekends from 5 pm7
Unlimited international text, picture and video messaging4
Call Display
Voicemail8
Circle CallingTM (unlimited calls between subscribers on the same account)

Save $15 Transaction Fee± when you buy online. Internet win!

@pksingh The "Unlimited evenings & weekends from 5 pm" means all calls after 5pm and on weekends are free.