Fido Networks

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Fido Networks

Good Day,

I was traveling last weekend and visited a friend in Kingston Ontario. I notice very low reception in that area. I forced my phone into 4G and still nothing. I was able to connect to the Edge Network for a minute. Needless to say, I was not able to use my phone all weekend.  I was a rogers customer many years ago and they had a backup network called GPRS. Does this still exist and if so why did my phone not connect to it.  (Fido & rogers are the same network)

Any information could help. I was using an LG G 5 that I got from Fido.

Cheers

John

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Networks

Hello JohnBJr,

Welcome to the community!

What part of Kingston were you visiting?

Kingston.jpg

Taken from here.

There are a number of factors that can affect cellular signal and signal strength (ie distance from cellular towers, buildings, trees, local terrain)(see here). In addition, the bands/frequencies available at your closest tower could be a factor as well. Not all bands/frequencies are available at all towers.

You noted that your phone connected to the EDGE network. Both EDGE and GPRS are protocols using the GSM or 2G network. In fact, EDGE is sometimes referred to as enhanced GPRS. So your device did connect to the 2G network, if only briefly. A device might still connect as GPRS depending on signal strength and other factors. However, if your device is outside of the networks' coverage, there is no other backup network.

Rogers has reduced the 2G capacity with plans to decommission the network, possibly in 2018 (see here). However, it's difficult to say how the reduction in band capacities would have affected your coverage in Kingston.

Have you tried to enable roaming on your device? Each of the mobile providers have their cellular towers strategically placed. Their placement may benefit some customers, but it might not benefit others. The roaming agreements (extended coverage) were meant to allow all customers access to the other networks -- at least temporarily.

With extended coverage, you might be able to connect to the other towers as Fido-EXT. You should note, however, that use of extended coverage is only meant on a temporary basis. If you regularly exceed 50% usage on their networks, the service may be blocked.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP
Solution

Hello JohnBJr,

Welcome to the community!

What part of Kingston were you visiting?

Kingston.jpg

Taken from here.

There are a number of factors that can affect cellular signal and signal strength (ie distance from cellular towers, buildings, trees, local terrain)(see here). In addition, the bands/frequencies available at your closest tower could be a factor as well. Not all bands/frequencies are available at all towers.

You noted that your phone connected to the EDGE network. Both EDGE and GPRS are protocols using the GSM or 2G network. In fact, EDGE is sometimes referred to as enhanced GPRS. So your device did connect to the 2G network, if only briefly. A device might still connect as GPRS depending on signal strength and other factors. However, if your device is outside of the networks' coverage, there is no other backup network.

Rogers has reduced the 2G capacity with plans to decommission the network, possibly in 2018 (see here). However, it's difficult to say how the reduction in band capacities would have affected your coverage in Kingston.

Have you tried to enable roaming on your device? Each of the mobile providers have their cellular towers strategically placed. Their placement may benefit some customers, but it might not benefit others. The roaming agreements (extended coverage) were meant to allow all customers access to the other networks -- at least temporarily.

With extended coverage, you might be able to connect to the other towers as Fido-EXT. You should note, however, that use of extended coverage is only meant on a temporary basis. If you regularly exceed 50% usage on their networks, the service may be blocked.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted

Thanks for the info. Was very well explained.

Cheers

John

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3