Fido My Account app upadate

SOLVED
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello,

I noticed an update for the android My Account app. Why does the app require all those new permissions?

Screenshot_2016-01-08-00-16-15.png

Screenshot_2016-01-08-00-16-22.png

I may be mistaken but many of those permissions seem unnecessary.

Cheers

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido My Account app upadate

Solved by Community Manager

Hey @Cawtau@KAPABLE-K!

Thanks for reaching out!

With the addition of some new awesome tools to the My Account app like DeviceAdvice and Network Status Checker, the app needs access to a few more features on your device.

No need to worry though, these permissions are only used to help you by checking your device for diagnostics and troubleshooting to suggest fixes.

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3
KAPABLE-K
MVP

Sure is a lot of unnecessary permissions in there.

Hey @Cawtau@KAPABLE-K!

Thanks for reaching out!

With the addition of some new awesome tools to the My Account app like DeviceAdvice and Network Status Checker, the app needs access to a few more features on your device.

No need to worry though, these permissions are only used to help you by checking your device for diagnostics and troubleshooting to suggest fixes.

Hope this helps!

Alamy
I'm a Participant Level 3

One seneraio is that:

Every API would need different permissions, and there are hundred (or thousand) of APIs there. (And some might be deprecated/replaced when API level evolved).

Of course, Android/Google has API table against each version, describing what permissions it would use (or so).

* Think about fixing/build a car. The API is like the tools/parts that you could use, and My Account App is the Car you want to Fix/Build.

So, for a engineer not so familiar with each Tools' functionality and how the Car would look like. It's easier for him/her to grab all the available tools (enable all APIs) to start with.

And later when the Car is fixed/built, one is too lazy to go back to figure out which tool was used and which was not (removed unnecessary API/permissions).

This is just one scenario, which might help you to understand how it works. But the real situation may vary.