Fido Home Phone message indicator is not working properly

I'm a Participant Level 3 ceciliawong888
I'm a Participant Level 3

Fido Home Phone message indicator is not working properly

I recently got my Fido Home Phone which great because I get to keep my land line number. The set up works fine except for the voice message indicator. It does not do anything (no green light blinking) when there is a message, it starts blinking after the message is retrieved. Then the green light continues to blink and never goes away even after all messages are deleted. The only way you can get it to stop blinking is by turning the device off and on. Then the whole issue repeats.

I talked to Fido on phone and by live chat, they tried to help but nothing works. I was suggested to go back to the store there I was given a new SIM card, it didn't help. Then the store tested on a new modum, the same problem occurred.

It appears that this part of the device or modum was not tested properly before leaving the factory.

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Home Phone message indicator is not working properly

Hi everyone,

The update for the WF721 is now available. This update will improve touch tone performance and address a bug with the message waiting indicator.

Click here for more info.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 54
I'm a Participant Level 1 webby
I'm a Participant Level 1

same issue with unit installed March 2016 ...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 54
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Hey! @FidoManuel,

Just wanted to update you on my current status with the message indicator issue on the WF721.

I got the replacement unit you sent me. Thank you. Unfortunately, it exhibits the same problem behaviour.

A manager assured me ZTE was working on the problem and that a fix would be rolled out by Fido "any week" now. He said that affected customers would be notified to simply power cycle their WF721 devices to apply the update. 

Here is a bit more practical info for other users who have the ZTE WF721 device.

1) The issue is a firmware bug and has NOTHING to do with the type of phone that is connected to the ZTE modem. The problem is there when using a dumb POTS phone or even NO PHONE AT ALL, so don't waste your time testing different phones, or disabling your phone's answering features.

2) I bought a used WF720 which is the previous version of the ZTE home telephony modem. The WF720  device does NOT exhibit the message indication issues (LED behaviour and lack of stutter tone). In essence, it works as expected.

3) It looks like ZTE did a half **bleep** quality assurance job when "upgrading" their previous model. It also looks like Fido did not QA the new device either since this is a pretty obvious defect. Thankfully, Fido customer service is always eager to make things right and, in my case at least, have done more than enough to make this irritating situation more acceptable. 

I'll finish with a little praise and rant... I've always found Fido CS agents on this forum and on the 611 support line to be polite and genuinely interested in helping users with their problems. I actually consider Fido customer service to be almost as good as Videotron's (not technically though) which is the gold standard in my mind. However, it irks me to no end when Fido CS agents, for lack of information or technical knowledge, have users jump through all kinds of hoops, testing different things that have nothing to do with the actual problem. It just muddies the water and creates more user frustration. If you want to do good by your users, just get your facts straight from the relevant Fido product manager, then be straightforward with your customers about the fact one of your services/products has a problem and don't waste your time and your users time with useless troubleshooting for the issue at hand. Especially when you know, in this case, that ZTE has been working on a fix since last year (scary...) and it is due to be rolled out "any week" now.

It may not look like it, but the above is meant as constructive criticism.

Sgt Wilko

*******Edited Content********

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 54
Former Moderator FidoCatherine
Former Moderator

Thanks for the feedback SgtWilko!

We definitely take all of your comments to heart & I appreciate the time you've taken to share your thoughts on this 😃 

Keep us posted if there's anything we can do for you!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 54
I'm a Contributor Level 2 gcrmt
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Played with the WF721 modem for a while, unscrewing the attenna, reinserting the SIM card, and cycling on/off the power button.  It seems to be working now (now accepting incoming calls) and the name display works (an improvement over the wf720).  I will continue to be testing it tonight and tomorrow, and having other people calling in just to make sure it works properly.  If it doesn't, at least I still have the older wf720 as backup.

"I bought a used WF720 which is the previous version of the ZTE home telephony modem. The WF720  device does NOT exhibit the message indication issues (LED behaviour and lack of stutter tone). In essence, it works as expected."  - SgtWilko

As for the VM indicator, yes, that is not working as you've indicated.  I too will wait for this update, whenever that will be.  Like you I read that this fix has been ongoing since November 2015, which is why I took so long to upgrade.  I guess I can either still switch back to the older wf720 or use my cordless base answering machine and set it to 3 rings so it picks up before the fido vm does if Fido/ZTE never fixes this issue.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 54
I'm a Contributor Level 1 theperfectimage
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I had Fido remove my VM purposely as I find that my Panasonic answer machine has always served me well.First Panasonic machine set for 5 rings then answer when home.When out of country I put my second Panasonic machine on 2 rings just in case that Fido somehow activates my VM option again when I am away.Find its better anyway that callers do not have to wait 5 rings to find out we are not at home.I also am playing around with WF721 and have a WF720 just in case.Good luck

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 54
Highlighted

@theperfectimage wrote:

I had Fido remove my VM purposely as I find that my Panasonic answer machine has always served me well.First Panasonic machine set for 5 rings then answer when home.When out of country I put my second Panasonic machine on 2 rings just in case that Fido somehow activates my VM option again when I am away.Find its better anyway that callers do not have to wait 5 rings to find out we are not at home.I also am playing around with WF721 and have a WF720 just in case.Good luck

I would however prefer if Fido would just get ZTE to fix the problem.  I'm surprised everyone has had this issue since November and yet no solution/correction has yet to be made.  One would expect better out of a national carrier such as Fido, especially when the parent company is Rogers Communications.  

One also has to ask, are the Rogers WHP users (and AT&T users in the USA) with the WF721 having the same issues because if so, why has ZTE not fixed the problem?  It seems to me that a company (ZTE) not willing to fix a problem is a company that should not be dealt with.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 54
I'm a Contributor Level 1 roxypepper

How about you replace all the defective units?? 4-5 months to fix a software or hardware preoblem is not very impressive

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 54
Former Moderator FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Replacing the devices won't change anything since the new device will have the same issue. Were looking into this and looking for a fix as soon as possible. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 54

Fido has been looking into this since November as per posts?? When is it really going to be addressed??

If the unit is garbage then have it dedsigned propoerly and replace the units you have sold.

I should not have to check the vm system every hour to be sure I don't miss a message

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 54

Hi @roxypepper

I totally get where you're coming from! We're still working on it and we'll be sure to share any updates we get the moment we can! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 54

Since this seems to have been going on for months that's not very reassuring. How hard can it be to fix a software or hardware problem?
Needs more emphasis on resolving the problem.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 54

Solution, keep hounding Fido and ZTE until they fix the problem:

ZTE support contact:

support@ztecanada.com

1-866-644-3056

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 27 of 54

Another week, still no solution

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 28 of 54
I'm a Participant Level 1 h82lose

I have the same issue Sad

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 29 of 54
I'm a Participant Level 1 Reptileskin

I have the same problem here... got the machine a few days ago...disapointed...the Fido seller should have told me that they were have this issue with the device. Sad

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 30 of 54