Fido Home Phone WF720 / WF721

I'm a Contributor Level 1 theperfectimage
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Fido Home Phone WF720 / WF721

Hi

Am older couple using Fido home phone WF720 that only announces callers number.

Would upgrade to WF721 if someone can confirm that it announces callers name and number.

Reading lastest forums suggest that WF721 is not ready for prime time.ie problems not fixed yet.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 15
Former Moderator FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Re: Fido Home Phone

Hi theperfectimage! 

The home phone WF721 does include the name and number display. Smiley Let us know if you'd like us to change the device for you! Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 15

Hi

The question was does the new WF721 work properly as there seems to be a lot of complaints on forum about unit.Do not want to purchase a second unit if first one (WF720) is working as advertised.

Thanks

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 15
Former Moderator FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Hey @theperfectimage

The device works as expected Smiley You shouldn't have to worry.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 15
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Re: Fido Home Phone WF720 / WF721

Hello @theperfectimage,

I have both the WF270 and the WF271 ZTE modems.

I would hold off upgrading to the WF271 if you currently use your Fido voicemail and rely on the message waiting indicator and/or stutter tone. The WF271 has a bug where the message waiting indication functions are defective.

See this link: Fido Home Phone message indicator is not working properly

Bothe devices work fine as far as other phone functions are concerned. If you don't use your Fido voicemail, then the WF271 works OK and does support caller name and number ID.

Sgt Wilko

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 15
I'm a Contributor Level 2 gcrmt
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Just got my WF721 two days ago as I wanted name display.  Plugged it in and it doesn't work at all!  I can dial out but no one can dial in.  They either get no connection or it goes straight to voicemail.  I tried with my own cell phone and same thing, I can't dial into my house, and if I'm lucky it goes to voicemail.  Just as SgtWilko says, the phone indicator doesn't work either.

Plugged back in my WF720 as it's working properly.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 15

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 15

If it works properly then why is my unit broken from right out of the box?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 15
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@gcrmt wrote:

Just got my WF721 two days ago as I wanted name display.  Plugged it in and it doesn't work at all!  I can dial out but no one can dial in.  They either get no connection or it goes straight to voicemail.  I tried with my own cell phone and same thing, I can't dial into my house, and if I'm lucky it goes to voicemail.  Just as SgtWilko says, the phone indicator doesn't work either.

Plugged back in my WF720 as it's working properly.

Hello @gcrmt,

Since both your cell phone AND home phone behave the same, I would not be too quick to blame the WF271. Aside from the message waiting indicators issue, the WF271 worked fine for me. You may simply have gotten a DOA unit. About the incoming calls not connecting or going straight to VM, I've had that issue not long ago and it is known to Fido. They resolved it by temporarily removing a feature on my line (name display, I think, but not sure).

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 15

Thanks for contributing to my concerns.I finally called Fido yesterday and to their credit they shipped me a new WF721 today.Am using it now but have only called myself from cell and name display is working.As we do not use Fido voice messaging and had it disconnected very quickly as it is of no use to us as our Panasonic setup works very well for messages.Now the test will be the issue with touch tone when dialing extentions at other end.Thanks to Fido and community for input and help.Will update on whether to continue to use WF721 or revert back to WF720 if problems arise.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 15
Former Moderator FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Hey @gcrmt,

If you're able to place calls on your old Fido Home phone and not one the new one, you must of gotten a faulty one. Unfortunately these things happen hence why we have a 15 days satisfaction warranty as long you don't go over 30 minutes during that time. After that you will fall under the 1 year manufacture warranty. Did you have a chance to return the device the original point of purchase yet? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 15

@FidoTerry wrote:

Hey @gcrmt,

If you're able to place calls on your old Fido Home phone and not one the new one, you must of gotten a faulty one. Unfortunately these things happen hence why we have a 15 days satisfaction warranty as long you don't go over 30 minutes during that time. After that you will fall under the 1 year manufacture warranty. Did you have a chance to return the device the original point of purchase yet? 

Hey Terry,

I fiddled with the WF721 modem today and it seems to be working now.  I can receive incoming calls but I will continue to have people call in to ensure it is working properly.  The voicemail indicator doesn't work.

As others have stated, the voicemail indicator (tone) is non-existant.  I see SgtWilko et.al have already brought up this issue since November 2015.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 15
Former Moderator FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Thanks for letting us know of the situation gcrmt. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 15
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@theperfectimage wrote:

[...] As we do not use Fido voice messaging and had it disconnected very quickly as it is of no use to us as our Panasonic setup works very well for messages.[...]

@theperfectimage,

I have a Panasonic setup with answering system too which is my primary voicemail. I do however keep the Fido voicemail active since it will take messages when I am on the phone, when I forget to turn the Panasonic answering machine on, or in the event of a power/network failure (ZTE device offline).  All situations where my Panasonic answering system wont pick up. This may or may not be important to you, of course. Just wanted to let you know about the advantages of having both VMs active.

That said, incoming calls are routed to Fido voicemail faster with the WF721 than with the WF270. I am forced to set my Panasonic answering delay to 3 rings when using the WF721 instead of 4 rings when using the WF720. That seems a bit odd to me since the VM is handled by the Fido back end rather than the ZTE modem. That's why one can still get voicemails when their ZTE device is off or disconnected from the network.There is something different with the WF721 which may be as simple as an offset in the ring pattern vs the WF270, which causes the local ringing to happen later, creating the illusion of a shorter answering delay of the Fido VM (complete speculation on my part). Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any way to increase the VM answering delay with Fido so I am stuck with an unfortunately short 3 ring delay when using the WF271.

Sgt Wilko

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 15

Thanks for all your info SgtWilko but as a non tech person I am grateful that you are taking the time to explain to us that are not as informed as you are.As to power failure issue I have even puchased a Panasonic model that has 1 base and 1 remote.The base unit actually has a battery powered backup incase of a power outage.Panasonic KX-TGF 350C.As well as power outage protection it has the option of blocking 250 numbers.My older unit only blocked 50 numbers and got filled very quickly.We must be on the all time biggest sucker list.Once again your explanations are appreciated.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 15