Fido Dollars

Fido Dollars

Fido Dollars

SOLVED
bill81
I'm a Participant Level 2

Fido Dollars

Now that AIRMILES have decided to continue their reward miles without expiry, can I get my FIDO Dollars back as I lost almost $150.00

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Dollars

Solved by MVP MVP

@bill81 The Airmiles and Fido dollars are two different rewards program, the Fido dollars program was terminated completely. Airmile had introduce a policy that will expire your miles after 5 years from the day it was earned if not used, they have since backed off from that because of the backlash they got for it and other reasons people called them out on.

The Fido dollars program was completely different and other rewards company/program has no influence on the Fido programs. Fido ended that program.

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
bill81

I guess there were not enough protests or backlashes with regard to the termination of the FIDO Dollars and hence FIDO was able to get away without any compensation to the customers.

Lot's of people did not like it including myself but the Fido dollars was not a rewards program it was more a perk/benefit of being a Fido customer and just like any other carriers that offers perks its in the terms and conditions that they reservation the right to cancel it at anytime.

bill81

It was a  rewards program as an incentive to stay with the particular brand/company similar to any other loyalty program. I would be too curious to see if FIDO will reverse its decision if  the Bill 47 Protecting Rewards Points Act is passed in due course.

The stated purpose of the Bill is to amend the Consumer Protection Act, 2002 (Ontario) (the CPA) with respect to rewards points. If the Bill becomes law, the definition of “consumer agreement” will be amended to include agreements under which rewards points are provided (Loyalty Agreements), and a new section will be added to the CPA that prohibits Loyalty Agreements from allowing the expiry of rewards points, except on termination of the Loyalty Agreement. Lastly, if passed, the Bill will have retroactive effect requiring any rewards points that expired on or after October 1, 2016 to be credited back to the consumer.

Taken from here

The bill will only protect the consumer for having the rewards point from expiring if the rewards program is terminated completely the bill if pass would not protect the consumer the law can not force a company to keep a program. If the bill is passed it will only be applied to rewards that expired on or after October 1-2016.

Fido terminated the program July 2016 so the bill if passed will not apply to this case even if Fido did not end the program and set the Fido dollars to expire if we did not use it the bill if passed would still not apply because it would have expire before October 1-2016.

Hope this would put an end to your curiosity.

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@bill81 The Airmiles and Fido dollars are two different rewards program, the Fido dollars program was terminated completely. Airmile had introduce a policy that will expire your miles after 5 years from the day it was earned if not used, they have since backed off from that because of the backlash they got for it and other reasons people called them out on.

The Fido dollars program was completely different and other rewards company/program has no influence on the Fido programs. Fido ended that program.