Fido CSR's are unknowledgeable about their products.........

SOLVED
Harryc68
I'm a Participant Level 2

Here is my issue, I have two phones, a Motorola C261 and a Samsung U600.  With the U600 I can send MMS and the Motorola I can't.  I want to get some photos off of the Motorola and send them to my computer to my Gmail account or send them to my friends smartphone where he can send them to my Gmail account.  I called Fido two days in a row and they told me I have to buy a data plan.  Does anyone know what my WAP/MMS settings should be in my Motorola C261?  It's funny with the U600 I can browse the net with it's builtin browser and on the C261 I can't and it does have a built in browser.  I don't think the C261 has a USB cable available to it either.  I have gone to Motorola's support site to get my settings uploaded to me but haven't been able to get anything.....

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido CSR's are unknowledgeable about their products.........

Solved by Moderator

Thank you Paolo for helping out,

That is indeed correct, the settings cannot be modified. The C261 can utilize MMS, therefore the issue is most likely to lie elsewhere. First and foremost, data must be active in your account.  Secondly, the model of your phone must be provisioned in the MMS profile. If your SIM was previously placed in a different model, the system might recognize the Motorola, but the previous model instead. This would disable the MMS functionality on the C261 until the profile is updated. Last possibility;  the picture you are attempting to send may simply be too large.

Hope this helps,  

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

Ahh the C261. There currently is no consumer data cable for that phone unfortunately. Although it has Motorola's name on the phone, it was one of the few phones actually not made by them, I think it was Siemens? and they branded it as a Moto? thats why no cables or software exist to connect it to your computer.

You however "should" be able to send MMS from the phone to a different phone. Try these steps:

A Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) message contains pages with text and media objects (including photos, pictures, animations, or sounds). You can send the multimedia message to other phones with MMS and to email addresses.

Find it: Press the menu key > Messages > Create > MMS or MMS Templates

Note: The MMS templates can’t be downloaded or expanded. You can only use the default templates.

1 Press keypad keys to enter text on the page (for details about text entry, see page 21 of the user manual).

To insert a picture, sound, or other object on the page, press the INSERT key or the menu key > Insert.

Select the file type and the file.

To insert another slide in the message, enter text or objects on the current page and press the menu key > Insert > Add Slide.

You can enter more text and objects on the new page.

2 When you finish the message, press the OK key.

3 Choose one or more people for Send To.

To select a phonebook entry, highlight the entry and press the ADD key. Repeat to add other phonebook entries.

To enter a new number, highlight [One Time Entry] and press the SELECT key.

To enter and store a new number, highlight [New Entry] and press the SELECT key.

4 When you finish entering numbers/addresses, press the DONE key. Your phone displays the message fields.

To enter a subject for the message, highlight Subject and press the CHANGE key.

To request a delivery receipt for the message, highlight Receipt and press the CHANGE key. Then press the SELECT key.

5 To send the message, press SEND key. To cancel or save the message as a Draft,

press the menu key.

Hope This helps!
Harryc68
I'm a Participant Level 2

I have done that what you have just explained.  I think my MMS and WAP settings are wrong.  How can I find out the correct ones for my phone?  I have gone to Motorola's website in Canada for the opeators settings with no luck....

afterthefact
I'm Experienced Level 3

Hi Harryc68,

Try these settings:

MMS: 

APN: mms.fido.ca 

IP address: 205.151.011.013

Messaging server (URL): http://mms.fido.ca

WAP:

• APN : wap.fido.ca
  • IP Address: 205.151.011.011
  • WAP Home Page: http://fido.mobi
  • User Name: fido
  • Password: fido

Good luck with getting things set up.

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

most carrier branded motorolas ive seen have the settings "locked" which means they can't be incorrect or modified. but you can definitely verify them with the settings posted above just incase.

Thank you Paolo for helping out,

That is indeed correct, the settings cannot be modified. The C261 can utilize MMS, therefore the issue is most likely to lie elsewhere. First and foremost, data must be active in your account.  Secondly, the model of your phone must be provisioned in the MMS profile. If your SIM was previously placed in a different model, the system might recognize the Motorola, but the previous model instead. This would disable the MMS functionality on the C261 until the profile is updated. Last possibility;  the picture you are attempting to send may simply be too large.

Hope this helps,